Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Dec 2006 at 3:57 AM
Default Clean Installer opens instead of folders...
Just a couple of things I wanted to make sure you guys know about. The first one I believe is actually an issue in the program's...well...programming, the other is just a personal preference/suggestion.

The Problem:
If I am trying to open multiple folders on my computer, whether they have sims items in them or not, instead of the FOLDERS opening, I get multiple instances of the Clean Installer opening. Sometimes need to open many folders at once, and the best way for me to do this is to select all the folders I need to open, hold down CTRL, right click, and press the OPEN option. As I said, currently when I do this, no matter what is in the folder, multiple instances of Clean Installer open instead. It doesn't do this when I only try to open one folder, so the only way for me to open lots at once is to either hold down ctrl and double click each one individually, or uninstall the Clean Installer first, and then open them, and then reinstall the Clean Installer the next time I want to use it. By the way, the reason I need to hold down ctrl to open multiple folders is because MOST of the time I prefer to open new folders in the same window, so that I don't have a bunch of stuff in my taskbar. Sometimes I want to open many at once, though, so it would be nice if I didn't have to uninstall this program every time I want to do that. This problem is not fixed by restarting the computer. I don't see how it could be, but I tried anyways, just in case you wondered.

My Suggestion:
I, personally, would prefer a drag & drop option for opening .sims2pack files (like with Q-Express), instead of having them associated to this program. There is not even an option for this when installing the program, it just installs. Most programs that can open many different types of files will have options when you install for which types of files you would like to associate with that program. You know, like WinAmp, asks if you want it to be the program that opens when you put in a CD, or double-click an mp3 or other type of sound file, instead of just automatically associating itself with those types of files.

Everything else about this program is great. I especially like the fact that it tells me which items are duplicates, and shows a picture of the texture, to give a basic idea of what the object/clothing/etc. looks like. Thank you for creating it and I look forward to the next update.

When the kids on the street say
What's your problem girl?
And the weight of their smile gets too much for you to bare
When they all make you feel like you're a problem girl
Remember
You're no problem at all
-Rob Thomas "Problem Girl"
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 31st Dec 2006 at 1:58 PM
When I try this on my computer (which has Clean Installer installed and functioning on it), I just get several windows open with the contents of the folders displayed, as expected. Therefore I would assume that your file associations are different in some way. Did you try reinstalling the Clean Installer? What file types are associated with the program on your computer? You can easily disassociate the Clean Installer- this would mean that Sims2Packs would open with the Maxis Bodyshop Installer as default.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Dec 2006 at 11:08 PM
I tried many different things. I am not a beginner to computers, so I do know all the steps to take. I uninstalled, restarted, re-installed, it still does this silly thing. I will ask my boyfriend, who is an IT expert, to help disassociate the Clean Installer with sims2pack files, but it would be nice if the program didn't just automatically do this when you install it. As I said, it is not when I try to open multiple FILES, but FOLDERS, so I don't see what file associations would have to do with that particular problem. I will let you know if disassociating the sims2pack files with the Clean Installer fixes this problem.

Remember
You're no problem at all
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 31st Dec 2006 at 11:13 PM
It does not appear to have fixed the problem. I restarted after disassociating .sims2pack files with the Clean Installer, and re-associating them with the Body Shop Installer.

Could this possibly be a problem with Pets, do you have that expansion? I have ALL the stuff packs and expansions. I guess it could even be conflicting with some other program on my computer, which could be ANYTHING. How frustrating

Remember
You're no problem at all
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5 Old 1st Jan 2007 at 12:51 PM
I have all EPs, SPs and patches, and I was opening multiple folders as you specified. This cannot be an issue specifically due to the Clean Installer, as it does not occur on my PC. This is why I was asking you to check any file associations- it is possible that the installer was somehow attempting to open the files contained in the folders. The Clean Installer automatically associates itself with Sims2Pack files on installation because this is what it is for- opening Sims2Pack files. Most people are not so well informed on computers as you are, and so would not necessarily know how to open a Sims2Pack with a program it is not associated with. Do you by chance have 'Launch Folder Windows in a seperate process' checked in your folder options, or any other settings that could cause this? Perhaps you could show a screenshot of your folder options/ View tab.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 2nd Jan 2007 at 4:25 AM
The folders I was trying to open contain MP3s only. I checked and they are still associated with WinAmp. I also tried with folders containing only jpegs, and it does it there too, as well as any other folders containing any type of file. Here are pics of my folder options:

As you can see, I do not have the "Launch folder window in seperate process" box checked. I assume this does exactly what it describes, though I don't think I have ever actually used it.

I have to admit, I haven't been able to afford to a new virus program since I had to get a new hard drive. My old virus program was a copy of the corporate Norton AntiVirus that one of my old companies used, but they are now out of business and have let the subscription lapse, so I can't use it anymore. I don't really know a lot about viruses, but if they can cause something like this I suppose that could be it. Thank goodness I don't upload anything...

I am also going to try uninstalling (one at a time, with restarts in between) some of the different Sims 2 helper programs I have, as maybe one of them being installed before the Clean Installer conflicted with it somehow. I'm pretty sure Clean Installer is the most recent program to be installed on my computer, so...who knows. It would be nice if there was someone else who was having this problem, so we could compare our settings and whatnot.

By the way, thank you again for helping me out on this. I know it can't be easy when I'm the only person who seems to have ever had this problem

Remember
You're no problem at all
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 3rd Jan 2007 at 7:14 PM
Well, I guess a virus could explain this- anyway, if you haven't scanned for viruses and malware in a long time, I'd definitely recommend that you do! Also make sure you do the Windows Updates too if you use the computer on the internet- they address many security issues. By the way- you don't have to pay for antivirus software- there are plenty of free ones, and most have a more comprehensive pay version that you could purchase if you like them. Make sure you have programs to deal with viruses as well as malware. I would recommend either one of these:
AVG Free
Avast! Free
(both of which contain a resident shield to protect you)
In conjunction with all or some of the following:
Spybot S&D (also contains a resident shield to protect against unauthorised registry changes)
Ad-Aware SE Personal
A Squared Free
This is as tried and tested on many, many computers- I also use the corporate editions of some of these in the school where I work.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 5th Jan 2007 at 2:51 AM
Thanks. It just gets weirder and weirder, because I can DOUBLE click to open lots of folders, or even press enter, but right-click and selecting open from the popup menu doesn't work.

I know about Spybot and Ad-Aware, I just haven't got around to re-downloading them since I got my new hard drive. I've been too busy playing Sims and WoW >.< I'm a baaad girl.

Thanks again for all the help...I'm going to consider the issue closed now...if I eventually do get the right-click option to work, I will post an update.

Remember
You're no problem at all
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#9 Old 9th Jan 2007 at 7:48 PM
I'd be interested to know if you manage to fix it, please let me know how you progress!