Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Nov 2010 at 9:07 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3
Default Game Launcher won't connect
I don't know if this is an internet problem or a Sims one, but I thought I'd ask here first. I have The Sims 3 base game, and basically, the game launcher won't connect to the internet. The 'welcome' page just shows the usual 'this program cannot display the webpage' thing, and the 'Game Updates' page comes up with an error message saying 'Unable to connect to the EA Download Manager'. This is particularly annoying because it means I can't get patches through the Launcher. There is no problem with my internet at all - does anyone have any ideas of how to fix this?

Thank you!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 5th Nov 2010 at 12:46 PM
Default MTS2 Staff Reply
  • Sims 3 - EADM Issues
    If you encounter issues while downloading Store/Exchange items or when trying to patch or Launcher won't even start, then maybe the issues is not the Launcher but EADM. Please try the suggestions on this FAQ article:

Try the steps in the guide above and see if it helps, if not, post your results here and we'll try something else.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Nov 2010 at 12:48 PM
Thanks for your help, I still haven't got anywhere I'm afraid. I tried following the steps from the EA page, but couldn't find one of the files I was meant to delete and didn't trust myself to work around it (I'm currently spending a year in Japan, so can't get professional help or anything). Just now the launcher did come up with an update for the latest patch, though it still says it can't connect to the internet. However, when I install the patch it doesn't seem to do anything - the version number doesn't change, and as soon as the launcher opens again, it asks me if I want to install the update again (even though it seems to recognise that it has already been installed). Any ideas? =/
In the Arena
retired moderator
#4 Old 10th Nov 2010 at 4:05 AM
Update manually: Game_Help:TS3_Patchingwiki.

Verify first that the previous attempt is cleared away in Temp folder or wherever the log is - see the Invalid File link on the above FAQ.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th Nov 2010 at 6:15 AM
Thank you - however, nothing has changed! Updating manually was one the first things I tried, but exactly the same thing happens - it says it's installed fine, but the version number doesn't change and the launcher still asks me if I want to install the latest update (then says 'it appears this update has already been installed, do you wish to continue?' So it does recognise it).

I downloaded the patch log, but at the bottom it says 'No errors found! This is good and means the patch installed correctly'. As it can't seem to find a problem, I don't trust myself to start deleting things. There are a lot of folders in the temp file with the cryptic names in braces (like the example given on the wiki, "{C59CB896-40E2-4004-AE7B-AD29EF181E25}"). A lot of the ones I had a look at were empty, a few have files called 'Sim3Patch.DFC', and there were others that I definitely don't want to mess around with. A few also had the 'rtpatch.log' notepad page as mentioned in the wiki, but the same thing happed as with the downloaded patch log - they couldn't seem to find I problem (that I could tell, anyway). Would it work if I just deleted all the ones with 'Sims3Patch' files, or is that a bad idea? What about the empty ones, can they just be deleted? Any other thoughts?

Thank you so much for all your help, I really appreciate it. I'm so bad with the technical side of things!
In the Arena
retired moderator
#6 Old 10th Nov 2010 at 4:17 PM
Do not rely on the Launcher for the gameversions - check the skuversion.txt file for each game you have.

Have you tried deleting the version.tag file?
Rename the user folder?
Another trick I'd read is to pop in the base game disc and launch the Launcher from there.

As for the logs, anything in the TEMP folders are safe to remove.
If you use something like CCleaner, it would auto-cleanup all temp files that are save to remove for you.
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 11th Nov 2010 at 11:42 AM
I'm afraid I'm too useless to understand a lot of that! =P Where would I find the skuversion.txt file, and what would I need to be looking for? (I only have the base game, if that makes any difference.) And which is the user file I'd need to rename?
I tried deleting the version.tag file, deleting the logs, and launch the Launcher (heh) from the disc itself, but nothing seems to want to work.
Would reinstalling the entire game help?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 11th Nov 2010 at 12:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Loco
I'm afraid I'm too useless to understand a lot of that! =P Where would I find the skuversion.txt file, and what would I need to be looking for? (I only have the base game, if that makes any difference.) And which is the user file I'd need to rename?
I tried deleting the version.tag file, deleting the logs, and launch the Launcher (heh) from the disc itself, but nothing seems to want to work.
Would reinstalling the entire game help?

Info here:
http://nene.modthesims.info/wiki.ph...ind_Gameversion

Renaming the user folder refers to this:
http://nene.modthesims.info/wiki.ph...move_User_Files
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 12th Nov 2010 at 1:32 AM
Thank you! I reinstalled last night, and though it still won't connect to the internet, the latest patch is now working fine =D So I don't know what will happen next time it needs to update, but for now, it's all good. Thank you all so so much for your help!
Locked thread