Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Sep 2010 at 11:44 PM
Default Boots texture showing up on pants.
Yes more problems.
Last night i made a 15 eyelet version of the boots i worked on.
They are well under the knee yet the top of the boot texture shows up on the bottom of the pant cuff.

I know there are default boots and can be worn with pants without the boot texture bleeding on to the pants but i can not seem to find any significant difference between the textures of what I have made and the default boots.
Urrrgh....
Any ideas on what is causing this?

Thanks.

You expect people to pay for those hairs?!
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 12:22 AM
Have you tried this with different trousers? Could just be an oddity in the mapping. The easiest way to check would be to export the base texture of the trousers and paste it on top of your boots texture, lower the opacity and see if they overlap.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 12:29 AM Last edited by exportdry : 14th Sep 2010 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Added image comparision
Yes the textures do overlap in photoshop.
But what confuses me is the base game thigh high boots and even the base game below the knee ones do not bleed into the pants and they definitely overlap the pants texture. :/

EDIT:-
I thought it maybe to do with the mask as i noticed the thigh high base game boots use what appear to be the mask which is used on pants.

But then I notice the below the knee base game boots just use the usual mask for shoes.

Here's the comparison with the below the knee base game boots on the left and mine on the right.
As you can see both overlap with mine less so but still over lapping.

Been trying to figure out differences between the textures.
The difference appears to be the base game boots are three channel while mine are channel selectable.

Although the thigh high ones are as well but their alpha is the pants alpha instead of the shoe alpha.

Looks like i may have to do some testing to solve what is going on.

UPDATE 1:-
Change DXT formats to what was in the knee high boots as the formats in the shoe i edited are different.
No change, Infact a bit worse since changing the mask to DXT1....possibly because DXT1 1-bit alpha does not work.

Next steps:-
Try with
Using the knee high boots .package in CTU with the new mesh plus textures.
Change the comments of the mesh to the knee high boots then repackage.
This issue srt of reminds me of the GEOM-00-GEOM-01 (can't remember what the name of the sims 2 meshes are anymore) alpha deal....
Will have to figure this one out.
Screenshots

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 15th Sep 2010 at 1:36 PM Last edited by exportdry : 15th Sep 2010 at 10:03 PM.
Update 2:-
Nearly there.
Used the over the knee boots package in CTU and it fixed the issue but then the morphs broke.
Now I need to find what was in the over the knee package which was different from the original package I was using.

If there is one thing I know which is different in textures, it is the part mask.

Tried using the thigh high part mask with the ankle high she package and made no difference.

There appear to be other settings which need to be changed which CTU can not do which conceal the boot texture with pants and enable the normal map on to the legs.

Where the settings are I am at loss.

Only step forward was using the over the knee package but the draw backs are the morphs and the normal map not working where the textures is on the legs.

Tried changing the comments. in Milkshape to the comments in the Above the knee mesh comments.
Then using the the original base game shoe I used.
Still the same effect.

Looks like I will have to go into S3PE and see whats different between the two which is making the issue.
There must be some sort of enable shoe texture only for naked or something along those lines.
Some sort of code which only allows the texture to be seen on the naked mesh along with the normal map.

Here's an image of the bleeding.
This happens on pretty much all pants except for pants which use the naked type body shape.

Screenshots

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th Sep 2010 at 3:56 AM
Update 3:-
After a lot of frustration and blind guessing I have gone one step further but of course not without more steps ahead.

Tried copying the mesh to a different package....the knee high base game boots.
Still looked like the above image.

I then went into milkshape and imported the knee high mesh, chopped the three top rows of face then added the boots mesh minus the top rows and regrouped along with all the other details to make it look right.

Added the mesh package to the knee high base game boots and it worked!
No bleeding on to the pants like above BUT.....the morphs go really crazy.
Thing is I still do not understand how just those three rows of faces could make it work....
Might be missing something here.
Maybe the difference in the comments.

Less of everything in the comments in the knee high mesh.

Sockpuppet
#6 Old 18th Sep 2010 at 4:19 AM
Check how the partmask's texture looks on both shoes/boots.
You might have to update it.

Other then that i wouldn't know.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 18th Sep 2010 at 5:20 AM Last edited by exportdry : 18th Sep 2010 at 6:18 AM.
Yeah I checked both BLooM.

An interesting thing I have notice is this:-
Here is the over the knee default part mask.

Here's is the Below the knee default part mask which is pretty much identical to the boots mesh part mask I am using.

Why use different part masks for the same result baffles me.

EDIT:-
Tried and nothing changed.
Pretty much given up on this project.
I have spent long enough trying to get this one issue solved.

Probably just have it on the back burner for now.
Screenshots

Banned
#8 Old 18th Sep 2010 at 9:25 PM
I have not done any shoes, so I don't know if this will work:

Modify the uv map of your boots, so the boots are entirely withing the "shoes zone" This may mean scaling back the map to 75% on the Y axis on your current UV map.

Make identical changes on your texture so they line up with your modified UV map.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 19th Sep 2010 at 9:18 AM
It might work but it will lower the image quality.
There must be some setting or value that has not been discovered which allows the texture image of the shoes to be overlapped by the pants mesh textures but not the Nude mesh and socks textures.

So far it seems my best option would be to use the thigh high boots package and create BGEOMS for the boots mesh so the meshes don't go funny when using anything other than the normal mesh.

Just the normal map seems to not be in use with anything above the ankle.

Sockpuppet
#10 Old 19th Sep 2010 at 2:09 PM
i had similar issues with a top and bottom once.
You could try TSRW, it might do the trick.
It will be more usefull when creating Bgeo''s anyway when deciding to use the thigh high boots.
The normalmap does work on the boots but only on the naked skin(another unsolved mystery )
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 20th Sep 2010 at 9:48 AM
Actually I am starting to use TRSW to see what results i get although my first attempt was well.....very unsuccessful but then again I had a feeling I could not cut corners.
I used the mesh from CTU that I created and replaced the meshes in the WSO file with them....Oops. lol

Was worth a try though...looks like I have to reshape the shoes to boots from scratch and just remap.