Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Jun 2016 at 7:49 PM
Default Important Notice concerning me.
I actually hate doing things like this, but I just finished talking with my father and there is a likelihood I may be moving back to the Princeton, NJ area, which, although Princeton had recently been dubbed Best City in America, I really don't want to move back.

Considering my financial and social situation prevents me from staying in the area, I am trapped.

My father's blood pressure and his inability to work prevent him from making money and my mother is in a complicated job situation.

I am not happy about it.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 18th Jun 2016 at 10:17 PM
I know it must be a rough feeling. I remember when my family moved from Indiana to New York it had a big negative impact on me. It completely changed who I am, and not in a good way at all. Moving away from everything I had become so familiar with was extremely tough to deal with, and to be honest I don't think I ever fully got over it. You said in another topic you live near Seattle didn't you? That would be pretty rough having to move completely across the country like that. I'm sure it may not mean much coming from a complete stranger, but I hope things work out for you! Don't let it get you down, or you'll just end up as miserable as me and trust me that's no fun! So cheer up, have a smile! SMILE!!!! Like this

If you want I can find that old idiot within me and say something really stupid, it won't be funny (I think) but who knows it might make you feel better.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Jun 2016 at 12:39 AM
My parents joked that they could throw me in as a bonus for the new owners. "There is one stipulation...we have a tenant who will never leave."

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

Scholar
#4 Old 19th Jun 2016 at 1:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PANDAQUEEN
My parents joked that they could throw me in as a bonus for the new owners. "There is one stipulation...we have a tenant who will never leave."
If that was me I might be questioning what they meant by "bonus", that could be pretty shady lol! But seriously, man you have no idea how much I did not want to leave Indiana. Pretty much my entire family was there, and I really couldn't say the last time I ever saw most of them. I did see my grandparents from my dad's side of the family around 16 years ago, but that was the last time I ever saw any of the rest of my family (other than my parents and youngest sister anyway). My grandfather has died since then, and it sounds like my grandmother is close to death as well, just thinking about it is gonna make me cry.

I can't blame you for not wanting to leave, my family has moved so many times over the years and I've lost so many good friends because of it. Of course if I was smart I would have kept in touch somehow, but I was really young most of the times we moved and I didn't think anything of it. My life was great in Indiana, since moving to New York it's been hell. I just hope that you don't let yourself fall the way I did, because I still can't seem to pick myself back up.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Jun 2016 at 6:57 AM
I am very adamant about moving because I have moved numerous time in my life.

I lived in:
*Florence, NJ (as a baby)
*Plainsboro and Princeton Junction, NJ (at 2 years age. Long story short, I spent my afternoons with my grandparents.)
*Redmond, WA (at age 10. The people there were self-absorbed in my experience.)
*Monroe, WA (first in a house with a strange floor plan from the 1980s, which was around the time I joined MTS back when there was just TS2 and in an apartment while waiting for my current house to be finished.)

The fact I am trapped in a situation with no friends, no job and an extreme distrust of roommates...well, you can bet that this may be a painful transition.

Scholar
#6 Old 19th Jun 2016 at 7:55 AM
I grew up in a town called Georgetown in southern Indiana. Then we moved to a town called Clarksville. Then moved to Indianapolis. Then moved again within Indianapolis. Then we moved to New York, then again within NY, and then again in NY. Now apparently we may move yet again. So yeah I know what it's like to move a lot, though you've clearly had to move over greater distances.

I have only a couple friends around here. We've moved so much over the years I'm honestly afraid to make friends because I've lost so many in the past from moving I worry it could happen again (even though I am smarter now about keeping in contact with my friends). I have more friends online than I do locally, several here on MTS. I'll gladly offer my friendship if you don't mind an online friend. My email is public here on my profile or you can send me a private message if you want. Obviously it's your choice, but I'd be more than happy to talk if you want. I wasn't always like this but I like to think of myself as a good and honest person now, so I treat everyone with respect and I won't lie or intentionally do anything to hurt anyone's feelings.

I perfectly understand what you mean about it being a painful transition, because like I said the move to NY was something that drastically changed my life. I went from being an honor student, rarely ever missed school, and was a really happy person I loved living in Indianapolis. Once we got to NY was when I started high school and I didn't want to go at all, I eventually dropped out, I was completely miserable and was a completely different person. I really look back on that as the start of all my current problems, and honestly it's only because I allowed it to happen. So if you allow it to bring you down then you will have problems, but if you keep your head up and don't let it get to you then you will overcome. You have to stay strong!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 19th Jun 2016 at 11:19 PM
I don't really have many friends to speak of. Most of those who I kept minimal contact with are busy with their lives. The two boys in the acrobatics troop I was leader in during high school have in one case became a husband and father and in the other, currently is a bartender with tons of regional awards for making cocktails with a showboating style. I myself have no family of my own or accolades for my talents whatsoever.

Still, my parents are doing this move for my benefit.

1.) Due to the population density, I am more likely to bring home friends in NJ than in WA
2.) WA has a food benefit system, but doesn't have a welfare system like NJ and because I am on SSI, my eligibility for welfare may result in a better life and a likelihood to find my own place will increase.
3.) My grandfather misses me because I would only visit on average about every 7 years. He lives in Princeton Junction and he is adamant about selling the house I grew up in during primary school. (Did I mention this house is on the same street as the one X-Men director Brian Singer grew up on? My father remembers Brian's early films were war films and not only did Brian direct, he was the general? ...But enough about the neighbors...) My grandfather is offering my family to live in the old house with my aunt Mary, who is currently thinning and wearing a wig.
4.) The public transportation systems are more equipped for the dense population of New Jersey. In Washington, holiday and weekend service for the major transit services were gutted or halted for 5 years. (It was only recently we got those services restored)
5.) Easy access to Japanese pop culture and NYC, which, according to a list of info, is protected by a sacred clear wire, has elevators with special programming for the Sabbath as even button pushing is considered work and because there are almost 900 languages in the confines of the city spoken daily, is considered the most linguistically diverse part of the world.

Yes, I am warming up to it.

Scholar
#8 Old 19th Jun 2016 at 11:46 PM Last edited by haywud : 20th Jun 2016 at 1:12 AM.
Quote:
I myself have no family of my own or accolades for my talents whatsoever.
Don't feel bad. For years I've wanted to find that special someone and have my own family, but it just hasn't happened for me and I just can't help but think that it isn't meant to be. I'm too shy around girls, and when I am able to say something it never comes out right. As for my talents? Well I pretty much ruined all of that. I had so much potential, but then just threw it all away because I stopped caring about what happened to me. Also like you I rarely talk to or even see the friends I do have. I went a full year without even seeing my best friend, and the only time we really talk is through messages on the Playstation Network. Another of my long time friends I almost feel doesn't even care anymore. I tried talking to him online and tried telling him about my depression recently (I tried two times actually) and I got no response, just excuses that resulted in him not saying anything else.
Quote:
Did I mention this house is on the same street as the one X-Men director Brian Singer grew up on?
That's pretty cool! I used to be a big X-Men fan when I was younger. I had a lot of the toys, and loved to watch that cartoon series from the early 90's. Just thinking about that takes me back to when things were actually good in my life, yet at the same time makes me a bit depressed.

EDIT: I was listening to a song called Solitary Man earlier and thought the chorus suits me pretty well:

Don't know that I will
But until I can find me
The girl who'll stay
And won't play games behind me
I'll be what I am
A solitary man
Scholar
#9 Old 21st Jun 2016 at 4:23 AM
Hey, I was just wondering if there was any reason why you don't have a family of your own. I know that's probably a personal question, so you don't have to answer it. I was just curious if you deal with some of the same things that I do. I'm extremely shy talking to girls unless it's just a casual conversation. I also have zero confidence in myself right now, and I just feel that the way things are now I have nothing to offer. Plus the way my depression has been I just haven't had any chances to even meet anyone since I just don't really have the urge to do anything.

Again, don't answer if you don't want to. My depression just hit me really hard and I'm really struggling right now, so I figured I'd try and keep the conversation going to try and take my mind off things.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 23rd Jun 2016 at 2:34 AM
The reason I don't have a family of my own is because I never got out often. The guy I dated 2 years ago was a typical male seeking sex and I threw him a bone. The way the night ended didn't call for further social interaction.

I am lousy at picking up guys. They're either gay (no interest in women) or taken (I have seen enough documentaries to know that if you're the other woman, his wife will turn me into a Jackson Pollack painting with whatever weapon can kill).

Scholar
#11 Old 23rd Jun 2016 at 3:01 AM
The reason I don't have a family of my own is because I never got out often. The guy I dated 2 years ago was a typical male seeking sex and I threw him a bone. The way the night ended didn't call for further social interaction.

I am lousy at picking up guys. They're either gay (no interest in women) or taken (I have seen enough documentaries to know that if you're the other woman, his wife will turn me into a Jackson Pollack painting with whatever weapon can kill).
I'm glad I'm not that type of guy. I'm not afraid to admit that I'm a virgin, I just want that first time to actually mean something and if it never happens then it never happens. If it isn't meant to be then I guess it isn't meant to be. I'm not about to go looking for sex just because of the pleasure, it has to mean something.

Even if I wasn't going through my problems I still don't think I would have the confidence to try and talk to a girl. I just freeze up even thinking about it, no confidence at all. I don't really get out anymore, without a job or a life I just can't do much right now, so meeting someone is probably impossible right now. I want a family so much, but I just get the thought in my head that I'm cursed to live my life alone. So yeah don't feel bad about not having anyone or not having a family, you're not the only one. I just hope it doesn't bother you like it does me.
Test Subject
#12 Old 23rd Jun 2016 at 6:09 AM
I'm glad I'm not that type of guy either. Relationships in general worry me because of the chances of it not working out. I also have a lot of confidence issues myself.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 24th Jun 2016 at 5:42 PM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 24th Jun 2016 at 7:15 PM.
Well, the house currently looks wrecked because we're doing the KDT (Keep, Donate, Trash) method as we need to prepare for the move to New Jersey (it's on).

Then there is selling what we can from the donate pile and what doesn't sell is donated to the secondhand shops.

Then there's the issue of backing up data on my PC, which means I won't be able to play the Sims for a while or at least until we make it to my Grandma's old house and I get set up.

Keep in mind my mother is intent on visiting South Dakota and its tourist attractions like Mt. Rushmore, The Corn Palace and Wall Drug, which I saw about 10 years ago during a 2 month stay with my grandparents, which happened to be the last time I'd see grandma alive.

You can't really blame me for calling it Grandma's house when she has been dead for about 1 week shy of 2 years as of this writing. Grandma taught me how to cook and pack what I need to survive a trip and her hospitality was on-par like that of the omotenashi customs Japan has where she'd put you in a comfy bed and would pretty much wait on you hand and foot.

My dad reassured me our legal documents and medical info will be transferred by him so I don't need to worry.

He will make sure we have a smooth transition.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#14 Old 27th Jun 2016 at 2:04 AM
With the decision of what bed room to pick, I have a choice between the master bedroom or 3 other bedrooms upstairs. I wanted the cramped apartment within the first floor but my parents called dibs and a bedroom of the 5 upstairs (1 is master and the other 4 are the bedrooms my dad, aunts and uncles lived) is taken up by my Aunt Mary, a cat lady who swears the cats are calling her name and wears a wig, due to thinning hair.

Well, I call dibs on the master bedroom.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 27th Jun 2016 at 11:49 PM
Well, my mother got her interview today. I hope she does well.

What cracked me up about the application form for this company was that they broke down the nationality that one identify as into separate sections like Mediterranean, Slavic, etc. I laughed incredulously and in the back of my mind, a voice said "Why the Hell are they asking such a thing? If that's the case, I'm Celtic-Saxon-Gallic on dad's side and Mediterranean-Slavic on mom's side" It is illogical to ask of ethnicity, let alone race or religion on an application form and to top it off, illegal as well.

All illegal matters aside, I have quite a bit of doll making to do.

Scholar
#16 Old 2nd Jul 2016 at 5:33 AM
Hi! I was playing a game called Saints Row 4 recently and unlocked a car that instantly made me think of you. It's called the Panda Rover. I'll put a screenshot below that I found online. I thought maybe it would bring a smile to your face in what I'm sure is a rough time for you.

How are your preparations for moving going by the way, everything going okay?
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#17 Old 2nd Jul 2016 at 10:42 PM
Recently, we had our Phase 1 yard sale. Made $12 for selling my stuff, although I had to take my 2 plushies of Domo (Japanese public TV network NHK's mascot) and Pucca (a noodle house owner's daughter who has a crush on a ninja and pursues him to kiss) out of the toy bin because the shop I got them from is out of business. Overall I am preparing for the trip. I got my microSD loaded with my favorite shows and videos, mostly, if not, all my productions.

I bought some soda with a little more than half of my current earning.

I received dolls in the mail as well as the 2nd half of the second season of Sailor Moon. The 6 Barbies are from the Made to Move line, which have 23 points of articulation and has been touted to be the most posable doll to date. As someone who usually like this option, I may buy doubles and make them into custom dolls. I decided to buy this doll line because of the diversity of race. Normally, my Japanese parts supplier only has two races: fleshtone and bihaku (beautiful whiteness). With games, anime and manga expanding their borders within their universes, characters with darker skin tones are starting to show up, like in the Pokémon series starting with Gen I, which Brock has usually been depicted as a slightly dark-skinned Asian.

Phew...long story short, I'm handling fine.

Nice Panda Buggy, BTW @haywud

Scholar
#18 Old 2nd Jul 2016 at 11:07 PM
I know when we had to move last time we had a very strict time frame to work with, and I ended up throwing away so many things. We didn't have time to do a yard sale or anything. Basically I looked at a lot of the things I had and if I didn't absolutely need it it went in the trash. At least you made some money off some things! I probably could have made money from some of what I threw away, but unfortunately we didn't really have the time, and I didn't want to move so much stuff. At least you seem to be handling it well, don't stress yourself too much!

And I know it isn't something I'm into, but it sounds like you must have a big collection of dolls!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#19 Old 3rd Jul 2016 at 1:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by haywud
And I know it isn't something I'm into, but it sounds like you must have a big collection of dolls!

Before The Sims, I would play with Barbies (At the time, she was the only major doll on the market. In the 21st Century, that was when dolls from other companies and different lines from Mattel broke new ground for the fussy market of children and collectors alike)

I was dubbed "Queen of the Dolls" by my grandma, who, like my dad and I, was a control freak. However, fate would spit in my face, because when they announced the rerelease of the Lalaloopsy plastic rag dolls that were first released, I clicked Like on the Facebook status and it displayed that I was 666th to like it. Now, coming from a Catholic family, it was like being cursed. But to walk it off, I said with confidence "I may be Queen of the Dolls, but I am certainly not Queen of the Damned"

I currently have all but 7 dolls packed away, which the number of dolls is to the point I lost count. I don't believe in NRFB (Never Removed From Box) because the box could harbor foreign particles that, if the doll is left in the box, could cause a decay of the materials the doll was made of. I have seen mold and mildew grow on improperly cared-for dolls: it was an ugly scene.

Besides, I am a photographer of dolls and the 6 Made to Move dolls are fun to model. I chose the redhead in a baby blue top to be part of the travel prank of "I was here" where a doll is photographed at locations in a person's travels.

I actually find photography to be relaxing as one photo of dolls could set the tone for an entire chapter on the subject.

Scholar
#20 Old 3rd Jul 2016 at 1:54 AM Last edited by haywud : 3rd Jul 2016 at 4:27 AM.
I need to find myself a new hobby. I know it would help me get my mind off things, but trying to think of something is pretty rough the way things have been. I haven't had anything I could really consider a hobby in a long time, unless you really consider video games a hobby. You really sound like you enjoy your hobbies! I can see how photography could be relaxing, especially if you're taking photographs of something else you really enjoy. I used to enjoy taking pictures of things when I was younger, though I always seemed to get a finger in the shot because I would never hold the camera properly. I'm starting to wonder now if I still kept any of my old pictures I took, but I have a feeling I threw a lot of that stuff away when we moved last time. I threw so many things out I probably should have kept.

EDIT: You know that gave me a good idea. I think later I'll try looking through some of my things to see if I still have any photos I took in the past. That would get my mind off of things!

EDIT2: Hey neat I found what I was looking for. They're pictures I took from the last time we ever went to Niagara Falls on vacation, back when we still lived in Indiana. It's from 20 years ago, wow. Of course the very first picture has my finger in the shot! I should scan these and save them to my computer, at least the good ones anyway.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#21 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 3:35 AM
I need to find myself a new hobby. I know it would help me get my mind off things, but trying to think of something is pretty rough the way things have been. I haven't had anything I could really consider a hobby in a long time, unless you really consider video games a hobby.

I actually consider gaming a hobby as with every new game, a challenge arises within the levels and be it a brand spanking new challenge or a repeat from a previous title, a good game should be considered training for the patterns in the modus operandi of the difficulties in life's sequences. It's more that just striking the boss while they are open, because reading when an opening is coming is key to victory.

You really sound like you enjoy your hobbies! I can see how photography could be relaxing, especially if you're taking photographs of something else you really enjoy.

I do enjoy my hobbies, but we're in the middle of a move and eventually I will need to pack my dolls and plush toys away for the move.

I used to enjoy taking pictures of things when I was younger, though I always seemed to get a finger in the shot because I would never hold the camera properly. I'm starting to wonder now if I still kept any of my old pictures I took, but I have a feeling I threw a lot of that stuff away when we moved last time. I threw so many things out I probably should have kept.

I had trouble with lighting and the camera's flash. Before the advent of smartphones, taking selfies always required mirrors and needless to say, I got the flash and the rest of the photo was washed out in shadows.

EDIT: You know that gave me a good idea. I think later I'll try looking through some of my things to see if I still have any photos I took in the past. That would get my mind off of things!

EDIT2: Hey neat I found what I was looking for. They're pictures I took from the last time we ever went to Niagara Falls on vacation, back when we still lived in Indiana. It's from 20 years ago, wow. Of course the very first picture has my finger in the shot! I should scan these and save them to my computer, at least the good ones anyway.

Glad to help rekindle that passion.

Scholar
#22 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 4:22 AM
I actually consider gaming a hobby as with every new game, a challenge arises within the levels and be it a brand spanking new challenge or a repeat from a previous title, a good game should be considered training for the patterns in the modus operandi of the difficulties in life's sequences. It's more that just striking the boss while they are open, because reading when an opening is coming is key to victory.
Are you into any games other than the Sims games, and if so what else besides the Sims games are you into? It would be nice to talk about some games, it would be something good to clear my mind. If you'd rather not spam your topic with it one of us can create a new one, that is assuming you're into other games besides the Sims, and if you even want to talk about it.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#23 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 6:49 AM
Are you into any games other than the Sims games, and if so what else besides the Sims games are you into? It would be nice to talk about some games, it would be something good to clear my mind. If you'd rather not spam your topic with it one of us can create a new one, that is assuming you're into other games besides the Sims, and if you even want to talk about it.

I actually play platformer games like Super Mario Brothers and Sonic the Hedgehog series and RPGs like Pokemon and Kingdom Hearts. Aside from the Sims.

Scholar
#24 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 7:03 AM
I've never played any of the Pokemon games (I've always wanted to try one though), but the Mario and Sonic games I've loved for a long time. I've played a couple of the Kingdom Hearts games as well. I own and have beaten the first one, and I've played the second one and played the one on the PSP. I actually have been wanting those Kingdom Hearts collections on the PS3, then that would give me pretty much all of them that have been released so far (I think). I recently got both Sonic Adventure games from the Playstation Store. I've played through the first game as Sonic and Tails so far, so I need to keep working on that even though I've finished the game many times on the Dreamcast and Gamecube.

Going back to the Mario games, I have Super Mario 3D World I haven't even tried yet. Have you played that one? Not sure if you're interested or not but I have a list of most of my games on that site GameFAQs, if you want to check it out I can link it.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#25 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 3:33 AM
Played Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 numerous times and lately, I haven't gotten past World 2 in Super Mario 3D World.

Page 1 of 3