Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Feb 2017 at 3:33 AM
Default Build Questions
Sometimes we have a quick question that doesn't require a whole thread. That is what this thread is for- questions that come up while building.

Remember to mention which game you are building in, if the question is game specific.

Mine is- does anyone have a good source for inspiration pictures for London flats? Thanks!

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 24th Feb 2017 at 3:47 PM
We need a Brit! @Fergus' Mind
I'm also interested in those.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#3 Old 20th Mar 2017 at 12:53 AM
TS3: Gaps in Lower Level Roof
[TS3]

With roofs on multiple floors, the upper roof seems to create gaps wherever it overhangs the lower roof. How can this be avoided? I've tried the Remove All Roofs -> Undo trick, but the gaps reappear in Live mode. Below are some screenshots of the problem (the layout of the roofs and the house itself is very weird, because it's the recreation of a house from another game [this also means I cannot change the underlying structure, only the roofs themselves]).

Thanks!

Own Grandma's Canning Station? Check out the Canning Station Overhaul.
Like doing laundry? Check out the Infinite Laundry Buffs Fix.
dodgy builder
#4 Old 20th Mar 2017 at 1:50 AM Last edited by Volvenom : 20th Mar 2017 at 2:56 PM.
These kinds of issues can usually be solved by changes in the way you do things. Just do things in a different order.

Edit: I read this on the phone, and the screen is just so tiny. I may have misunderstood things, but I'm not sure it really does any difference. Do you have a staircase there or something? What I just said still applies kind of, but it might also be that you have to build differently. If you have a staircase there, I would have ditched it and see if that solves anything.

The thing is it's usually much harder to build something when you have to stick to a fixed plan in this game. Sometimes you just have to leave it. It's kind of hard to come up with any solutions for you now though, I have to be there in order to help you out with this.
Instructor
#5 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 4:47 PM
@Volvenom

Thanks for the reply. One of the gaps has stairs nearby, but not directly at the location of the gap. The other gap is not anywhere near a staircase. Below are some screenshots of the underlying layout, if it helps. Thanks for looking at this.

dodgy builder
#6 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 5:42 PM
I have read about this several times, but I cannot remember a thing about solutions at the moment. I see they both looks like they are direct results of the walls and roofs above. I guess you have tried dragging the roof from different angles if possible?

Have you tried turning the lot around and perhaps move the house somewhere else?
Instructor
#7 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 6:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Have you tried turning the lot around and perhaps move the house somewhere else?

Yes--this is the second time I've built this house because it was too close to the sidewalk the first time. That first lot was in a different location on the map and had a different orientation, with the same roofing issues.

Mad Poster
#8 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 7:15 PM
I intended to ask this question about 7 months ago, but I don't think I ever bothered- which of these two window styles looks better?

Original

New

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Alchemist
#9 Old 23rd Mar 2017 at 4:29 PM Last edited by Johnny_Bravo : 25th Mar 2017 at 7:21 PM.
@Butterbot
The gaps are caused by the upper roof, because the game thinks that there'll be an enclosed area below it. and the only way to stop that is a CFE work, or 2 gables.

Here are the *only* possabilities:

A double (triple, or even more..) gable to prevent getting a gap in the roof below. (You could also use the gap to make a covered balcony btw.)

A bit more challenging, especially because of the stairs. The red lines are full walls lowered to the height of a stage. (One click/step)
The roof where you don't want a gap has to be placed on top of a full wall, and the upper roof on top of the 2nd lowered wall. (There are a few varieties with CFE of course).
Screenshots

#10 Old 23rd Mar 2017 at 5:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by attuned
Mine is- does anyone have a good source for inspiration pictures for London flats? Thanks!

Quote: Originally posted by Johnny_Bravo
We need a Brit! @Fergus' Mind
I'm also interested in those.

3 questions: Old or New-build? Purpose-built as flats or a conversion/re-purposing of an existing building? Which end of the market/social spectrum were you going for?
My top tip would be to build it small/pokey enough that you'd question why you're paying so much for it in rent regardless of whether you're actually paying a significant amount of rent for it .
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 23rd Mar 2017 at 11:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Fergus' Mind
3 questions: Old or New-build? Purpose-built as flats or a conversion/re-purposing of an existing building? Which end of the market/social spectrum were you going for?
My top tip would be to build it small/pokey enough that you'd question why you're paying so much for it in rent regardless of whether you're actually paying a significant amount of rent for it .

I was thinking oldish, townhouse, for a single college professor type. Here are some that caught my eye. I really want something that says "quintessential London flat".
Screenshots

New at Simszoo
Instructor
#12 Old 24th Mar 2017 at 4:59 PM
@Johnny_Bravo

Thanks for the explanation--the screenshots are really helpful! The first approach is what I'll try next, to avoid any possibility of messing up the stairs. I really appreciate the help, as I was pretty stumped. I find roofs tricky--are there particular tips or general approaches to make them easier to put together? I've read advice like start roofing the largest room, then add roofs to the remaining uncovered areas; avoid valleys since they're generally frowned upon in real life as well due to rain/snow accumulation. These help, but I still encounter issues like unexpected gaps, or seemingly arbitrary errors that prevent a roof from being placed due to "intersecting objects" in an empty room.

Alchemist
#13 Old 24th Mar 2017 at 6:50 PM
@Butterbot
As for the 'intersecting objects', those are usually stairs, doors and windows or maybe a chimney. Roofing can be tricky indeed, I guess the easiest way to avoid problems is to not build shapes that have many strange corners and quirks.

Staring with a 'main roof' is the best thing to do, but on the largest section of the whole house, not just the largest room. Valleys, I don't know, and I have various homes sitting in my game which have those. Having them in TS isn't bad and can be good-looking. I'm a 101.5489% sure that rainfall and snow don't affect roofing in TS.

#14 Old 25th Mar 2017 at 9:12 PM
@Johnny_Bravo

Thanks for your reply.

Quote: Originally posted by Johnny_Bravo
As for the 'intersecting objects', those are usually stairs, doors and windows or maybe a chimney.

This error has appeared even when the area that I'm trying to roof has nothing but walls. However, that area was on the first storey, and the second storey had doors, etc, but I figured it shouldn't be a problem since I wasn't roofing the second storey. Do both storeys have to be empty in order to draw a roof over the first?

Alchemist
#15 Old 25th Mar 2017 at 10:59 PM
@Butterbot

If you pull the roof of the first through parts second story, then doors, stair landings and windows are interfering.
I always put roofs before placing windows, doors etc., and little details can be added later as they usually don't interfere with windows and doors.

#16 Old 26th Mar 2017 at 8:16 PM
Yeah, I always try to add the roof before putting in doors/windows too, but I'm rather rubbish at building and often end up having to revise the underlying layout after. Thanks again for all your help.

Alchemist
#17 Old 27th Mar 2017 at 9:41 AM
Oh well, I often have some brainfarts and have to remove and replace stuff because it doesn't work otherwise, which sometimes causes a whole section of the home to be remodeled

#18 Old 11th Apr 2017 at 8:03 PM Last edited by Fergus' Mind : 11th Apr 2017 at 8:26 PM.
Default London flats...
I was thinking oldish, townhouse, for a single college professor type. Here are some that caught my eye. I really want something that says "quintessential London flat".

Well I'm affraid your single Uni professor type is going to have to win big on the lottery if he wants to be able to afford to live in a flat with that kind of exterior. I've been rather busy and struggling with a terrible internet connection, so I haven't got as nice a variety as I was hoping to find, but here's a few that might be of some use:
Duke Street, Mayfair
Cumberland Terrace, Regent's Park
Cambridge Gate, Regent's Park
Eaton Square, Belgravia
Sydenham Hill, Sydenham Hill
Crestwood Road, Sydenham Hill
Crystal Palace Park Road, Crystal Palace
Newlands Park, Sydenham Hill - The exterior of this place is archetypal of the kind of house converted to flats that your professor can expect across the city, except as a terraced house rather than a semi.
Ebsworth Street, Honor Oak Park - The same goes for this property.

I'll do a little more digging when I next get the chance and add some more to the list that better illustrate the kind of home your professor would call home; I'll add them to this post rather than spamming the thread as and when I find them.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 12th Apr 2017 at 2:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Fergus' Mind
Well I'm affraid your single Uni professor type is going to have to win big on the lottery if he wants to be able to afford to live in a flat with that kind of exterior. I've been rather busy and struggling with a terrible internet connection, so I haven't got as nice a variety as I was hoping to find, but here's a few that might be of some use...

But...they are so very pretty. Thanks for all the links, I appreciate it. I am planning to start a thread when I have something to show.

New at Simszoo
Scholar
#20 Old 12th Apr 2017 at 7:59 PM
But...they are so very pretty. Thanks for all the links, I appreciate it. I am planning to start a thread when I have something to show.

There's currently a flat for rent within one of the buildings you shared a picture of earlier; North Grove, Highgate Village.