Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Feb 2008 at 11:24 PM
Default Possible to make a liveable tipi mesh/object with cutaway sides?
I need to be pointed in the right tutorial/info page, if it's possible to make this item.

I want to make a liveable tipi object that sims can go in to and which has cut-away walls so you can see inside, just like in a house. It won't have standard walls because the structure is conical and it is not something that should be in people's build sort section, I'd like it to either be a lot or an object that people can place on lots.

Is this possible? I can make a standard object mesh for this but can it be made a cutaway so you can see inside the tipi? I can also clone the Bon Voyage tent, but you can't see inside it like you can a house.

If I left part of the object 'open' then could sims walk into it and be seen inside? How would I disquise the door to look like a door but not 'close' the object? It would be fairly large, about 20 sim feet across.

Any ideas? leads? Possible?
Advertisement
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#2 Old 27th Feb 2008 at 11:20 AM
Well a couple of options spring to mind...

- Clone a window, full wall size. Mask the entire wall out, and put in a mesh that is part of the curve of a tipi (such that when placed next to each other they make a circle - depending on the ultimate size you're aiming for, you may need to make a couple of slightly differently shaped pieces). To use them, make an octagon shape using walls (leave one segment out for the doorway) then place these window pieces over them making the walls invisible and leaving the tipi pieces in their place.

or...

- Make the whole thing as a decorative object (with a mostly empty footprint), but set the "fade on approach" flag (can't remember the name) that ceiling lamps and the like have set. It won't cut-away exactly, but it'll fade out as you zoom in.

or...

- Check out how the cutaway works on paintings when they're not attached to walls. My memory is that when walls are up they are visible, when walls are down they disappear. May work?

or finally...

- Make a two-scenegraph mesh. Whenever a sim enters the tipi, switch the mesh to a minimalistic one (maybe just the ground level part of it shows up), then when the sim leaves switch the mesh back to the full sized one.
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Feb 2008 at 2:17 AM Last edited by porkypine : 28th Feb 2008 at 2:30 AM.
Hmmmm... Interesting ideas..... thanks! :D

I was hoping to have cut-away walls so you could see the inside tipi walls and live inside... tipis are quite tall...maybe about 12 to 18 feet tall and up to 25 feet diameter.

Anyway, this is something I'll have to play with to do it right. I expect to mash some meshes getting this one right... I'll try small versions with your ideas...