Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Aug 2013 at 2:14 AM
Default Does anybody use blender?
I just started, and so far it's really complex but addicting! There are just so many controls...i guess I just have to get used to them! I've been working in it for five hours straight, while looking up tutorials and reading the manual at the same time. I even started taking notes on what button does what! Hopefully I'll be able to start making CC meshes in a few months. Anyways, do any of you guys use the blender program?
Advertisement
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#2 Old 1st Aug 2013 at 2:32 AM
If you make CC, odds are pretty good you use Blender for one reason or another.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 1st Aug 2013 at 2:46 AM
If I could only get the hang of the controls and buttons, I would.

Switching between mesh programs is often like switching between driving a plane and a space rocket, thinking you can fly one because you can fly the other. I'm used to 3D Max (the first I learned to mesh with), familiar enough with Milkshape (which is like a tri-wheel bike with a flat tire in comparison), and Wings (which works to a degree, and is somewhat alright to mesh in, although it is not very SimPE import friendly). I've struggled to learn Blender, but the controls feel completely different, and the work flow also feels weird. So for the moment I'm sticking to the others. They have somewhat similar setups, so with a bit of fiddling about they are somewhat intuitive, after the 3D max background.
Theorist
#4 Old 1st Aug 2013 at 3:31 AM
I like my blender, but it's a pain to clean sometimes. That's especially when something gunky gets stuck around the blades. But you can't make a smoothie without one, which is possibly true of so many things, right?
Moderator of Extreme Limericks
#5 Old 1st Aug 2013 at 4:35 AM Last edited by jhd1189 : 1st Aug 2013 at 3:02 PM. Reason: Proofreading the next day is a mistake
I saw that Mistermook had left the most recent comment on this thread, and while I was waiting for the thread to load I thought to myself "Mistermook doesn't make custom content, does he? Did he just comment on this thread so he could make a joke about a blender? I bet he just made a joke about a blender."

He did.

7/10 - Predictable but reliable; might recommend this product to friends

There's always money in the banana stand.
Theorist
#6 Old 1st Aug 2013 at 5:02 AM
Sometimes you have to just go for the easy lay up.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 1st Aug 2013 at 12:59 PM
I don't create stuff. Maybe someday, but not now, but I know people who use Blender and think highly of it. Simmer22, you mentioned 3D (Studio Max - right?). My son started with that when he was in Robotics in high school. He also played around with other programs and Blender was one of them. He still recommends it. (He's a programmer for animation now). I also have a friend who has taught herself animation and is now teaching teens at a summer camp. She loves Blender.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 1st Aug 2013 at 8:53 PM
I thought "blender" was what looked like a potted tree that allowed a few in-game modifications. Or: I bought a blender and it made the best chocolate frosting. Or: I don't know my blender from my kazoo.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#9 Old 1st Aug 2013 at 10:01 PM
Grammapat, there is a Sim Blender that is a potted plant , which is this: http://www.simbology.com/smf/index.php?topic=20.0
and then there's the animation/modeling program called Blender, which is this: http://www.blender.org/features-gallery/,
and then there's your kazoo which is entirely different.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 2nd Aug 2013 at 12:23 AM
Since CrystalBits was talking about making CC and posted this as off topic, I suppose they were talking about the meshing program, and not the mod.

As for blenders, they are difficult to clean. So many parts, especially those with taps! But I'm now an expert in putting ours together.

VerDeTerre, I was talking about (autodesk) 3Ds Max. We used that at school while I studied 3D design. It's nice for modelling, and quite alright for animation (some people thinks Maya is better, but I've not tried it so I have no opinion there).

Blender is apparently one of the best free 3D programs. But it also seems like one of the hardest to learn, since the workflow is quite different from many other programs. I found Wings much easier to learn, as the workflow was a little more similar to Max and Milkshape, and more intuitive in use than Blender (I hate all going through all the basic tutorials, so I needed something intuitive and logic - I learn best by clicking buttons and see what they do, unless I'm doing something spesific).
Test Subject
#11 Old 2nd Aug 2013 at 3:16 AM
Use little.