Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 7:15 AM
Default Favorite beauty products?
Well, I think it's about time for me to go on another beauty shopping day, and I really want to try some new stuff out, specifically make-up. So, I want to know your guys' preferences!

Here are some of my favorite beauty products for anyone wondering;

Lipsticks - NYX Matte lipsick, in nude, and natural.
Lip Liner - NYX Slim Lip Liner Pencil 858 Nude Pink
Foundation - RIMMEL LONDON Stay Matte Liquid Mousse Foundation
Concealer - NYX Concealer jar
Eyeshadows - Urban Decay Nude palette
Eyeliner - Elf studio cream eyeliner in black
Mascara - IT'S SO BIG volumizing mascara in black (cheaper, but still amazing mascara that I use is Maybelline's Colassal volume express water-proof mascara in classic black)
Foundation Primer - I love, love, love Smashbox' Photo Finish primer, but it is really pricey, so a cheaper version that I still love would be L'oreal's magic perfecting base.

:lovestruc
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 7:41 AM
I don't really use make-up, but I have a few go-to skincare products.
Almost everything I use is from Lush. It's quite pricey but most of their stuff is 100% natural/faitrade and very effective I must say. And obviously any shopping experience in their stores is amazing!
Right now I'm using their Ocean Salt face and body scrub (even though they recently reformulated it to be paraben-free so I need to get a new one), their Vanishing Cream face moisturizer (this has to be my favorite Lush product ever. I've never found any moisturizer that gets absorbed so quick by my skin), their BB Seaweed face mask and last but not least their Honey, I Washed The Kids soap.
I try to use natural products to wash and condition my hair, but I use BedHead products to style it, in particular Totally Baked texturing foam and the Manipulator wax.
And I am also crazy about cologne and designer fragrances but I don't know if those count as beauty products

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Scholar
#3 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 7:45 AM
don't use makeup aside from eyeliner and mascara. Don't like having crap all over my face.
But FWIW, I found this shop called Lush. They sell skin care products that are vegan and not tested on animals and stuff like that. I got the "9 to 5" skin lotion, and it's really good.

“I MAY BE A HOGWARTS STUDENT" Hargirid paused angrily. "BUT I AM ALSO A SATANIST!”
Falco - The original Prombat
Scholar
#4 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 3:56 PM
Ha ha Lush. It smells horrible.
I don't use any make up. Plain Vaseline is better than lipbalm, especially if you can't use them (like me). La Roche Posay face wash and skin balm(?) are really good (soft, clean skin, and very little sent). I found a nice Nivea deo with no conservatives, alcohol, parfum or paraben, which is amazing. Uuh shampoos and stuff change alot... Say yes to carrots was my favorite I think. I believe I'm using Kérestase sulphate free shampoo and conditioner.
Theorist
#5 Old 4th Oct 2014 at 1:41 AM Last edited by PenelopeT : 4th Oct 2014 at 1:51 AM.
I have really delicate/sensitive skin, but am very fortunate that it's as nice as it is. So, I don't put much on my body or face - only use pure cocoa butter and Aveeno on my face and body, and as for makeup I only wear a small amount of mascara (currently Christian Dior) and an all natural lip tint that I normally pick up at Whole Foods Market.

As for hair care products, I use Organix.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Scholar
#6 Old 4th Oct 2014 at 4:57 AM
Mascara: Maybelline great lash mascara (though any kind works for me really)
Eyeliner: I used to be such a big fan of Rimmel London but then it kept breaking!! Currently using Almay.
Blush: Maybelline pearlescent pink (this stuff is amazing and perfect for my skintone)
Foundation: Clinique redness solutions. The most expensive makeup I get but the only one that really works.
Eyeshadow: Maybelline
Setting powder: Ben Nye colorless (but the banana powder works if you're dark skinned, I've heard)
Primer: eyeslipsface mineral face primer (not sure what it does, but...)
BB cream: Physicians formula super BB
Tinted lip balm: Maybelline baby lips

As for skin care, a dupe for the glam glow mask (which is like $70) is 1/2 tsp. of bentonite clay and 2 capsules of activated charcoal. Recipe here. Neither bentonite clay nor charcoal capsules are ridiculously expensive and you get a lot more.

I just use unscented moisturizer if I need it and the only perfume I have is demeter fragrance. They have some really weird scents but I'm a huge fan of thunderstorm.

The hair paste I use is Bumble & Bumble sumotech.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Scholar
#7 Old 4th Oct 2014 at 6:04 AM
I don't wear make-up, but I really like Burt's Bee facial cleanser and chapstick.
Scholar
#8 Old 5th Oct 2014 at 9:34 AM
"Natural makeup" is such an oxymoron anyway. This is no more natural than this.

“I MAY BE A HOGWARTS STUDENT" Hargirid paused angrily. "BUT I AM ALSO A SATANIST!”
Theorist
#9 Old 5th Oct 2014 at 9:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TotallyJW
"Natural makeup" is such an oxymoron anyway. This is no more natural than this.

....Where'd you get that picture of me?!

On topic-ish. I just wear eyeliner and mascara. I'm using a way too old tube of Revlon Grow-luscious and I wear MAC Dipdown or Blacktrack fluidline eyeliner paint pot type things. Basically the only MAC product I own and would always buy again. I've had my little pot of Dipdown for maybe 3 years and it hasn't dried out, it's cracked but it's still entirely usable.

I survived September 2nd 2014 and all I got was this lousy thread - http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=532774
Scholar
#10 Old 5th Oct 2014 at 9:46 AM

I freaking love ganguros. I'd never look like that myself because I ain't got time for that (+ I touch my face constantly so at the end of the day the makeup would be all over the place), but damn, what style.

Inventor
#11 Old 5th Oct 2014 at 10:50 AM
Baking Soda.
Instructor
#12 Old 5th Oct 2014 at 12:02 PM
@Noa1500 I think most Lush products smell wonderful, and so does the shop (or should I say, the whole street!). I do see that some people could find that herbal smell a bit overpowering though.

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Scholar
#13 Old 5th Oct 2014 at 8:50 PM
@Gabrymato It is overpowering! The products themselves smell nice, its just that there's so much that it stops being nice. That makes sense right?
Mad Poster
#14 Old 10th Oct 2014 at 4:38 AM
I have a BUTTLOAD of makeup. I have stuff by NYX (eye shadow\pencils), Italia (pencil eyeliner), Prestige (liquid eyeliner), Ka'oir (lipstick and it is like UBER-expensive, but if you want white ganguro lips, their white lipstick helps), Kleancolor (cheap and effective, but if you apply too thick, the fragrance embedded in the product can cause people to cough, like my dad.), Maybelline (for the eyes and nose stripe on ganguro and my blue mascara) and some without a brand name (three vials of red, green and blue eyeliner I picked up at Hot Topic. I rarely shop at the mall anymore as I'm fighting with my self.)

I sometimes apply a dark self-tanner by Banana Boat to resemble my aunt, who received the "Greek God" tan skintone from my maternal grandfather, Albert. However, I have to remember to wash myself all over or it goes on uneven.

Still, if you want my advice on this subject, I can change my appearance to resemble anyone. "Mistress of Disguise" is just one of many titles I hold along with "Sweetest of Sweethearts" "Keeper of Quotes" and my personal favorite "The Grand Dame of Entropy".

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Inventor
#15 Old 10th Oct 2014 at 4:57 AM
As far as make up and facial skincare goes, I use Mary Kay ONLY. Sure it is higher priced than stuff you get in a store (Walmart, Target, etc.), but it is also very high quality and works better than anything I have ever tried; and I have tried almost everything out there for dry skin.

I use tea tree oil shampoo and conditioner.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#16 Old 10th Oct 2014 at 5:20 AM
Makeup and I have nothing to do with each other unless I'm going somewhere and need to dress up.. which means the Cousin It look needs to go. So the hair gets wrangled into something that doesn't look like a windblown mess and the makeup gets taken out of the linen closet. My favorite brand is Physician's Formula and I use their mineral makeup. (I don't know if they even make it anymore!) It's light, doesn't cake, doesn't bother my skin and, best of all- doesn't make me look like I'm wearing makeup.

Non makeup? Bath & Body Works: Warm Vanilla Sugar, Twilight Woods, Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin and Moonlight Path are my favorites. Sure, it's not the cheapest stuff- but they have sales all the time (buy 3 get 3 free!) and my oldest tends to get me sets (body wash, lotion, body cream, hand cream and body spray) for Mother's Day and/or Christmas. So I never run out and I always smell good. :D
Field Researcher
#17 Old 11th Oct 2014 at 10:37 AM
I love make up and buy quite a lot but funny enough I wear only little! My soft spot are mascaras, especially ones giving big, false lashes effect. :-)

Mascara - at the moment I'm loving Too Faced Better Than Sex mascara, L'oreal Volume Million Lashes, Maybelline Big Eyes (I have soft spot for Maybelline mascaras) and Benefit They're Real.
Lipgloss - (because I don't really wear lipstick) Sleek Pout Polish in Bare Minimum.
BB/CC Cream - (they suit me better than foundation) Etude House Precious Mineral Bright Fit BB Cream (my Holy Grail of BB Creams) and Supergoop Daily Correct CC Cream.
Brows - Model Co More Brows - I offer my humble thank you and eternal gratitude to whoever created this fantastic product.
Eyeshadows - I love Sleek i-Divine Palettes, theBalm Meet Matt(e) palettes, Makeup Revolution and MUA The Artiste Collection palette - I mostly wear matte eyeshadows and those brands proved their eyeshadows stay for hours without creasing.
Foundation Primer - I got big sample of Dr. Brandt Pores No More and it is truly amazing and keeps my full of troubles skin matte for hours but I almost collapsed when I saw full price. Others I like are No7 Stay Perfect and two primers by Benefit - thePOREfessional and Stay Don't Stray.
Bronzer - Lavertu Terre de Soleil (in Colour 03, the lightest one).

HK-47: Objection: I am not a problem, meatbag. You and your lack of any organized repair skills are a problem.
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 13th Oct 2014 at 3:02 AM
I barely wear make up since being pregnant honestly. Fell into the I'm too tired all the time to care trap. Recently started again. I honestly don't have a favorite. Skin care would be any of the Vicchi products - toner, cleansers, etc. But, I have found without using anything, and just using warm water to clean my skin, my break outs have stopped. Go figure. Might be lack of estrogen too though. Who knows.
Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 1st Nov 2014 at 2:33 AM Last edited by simbalena : 1st Nov 2014 at 3:05 AM.
I just got some new makeup stuff and I love it!

For the first time I have found a brush that works for applying foundation, it's the Sigma F80 flat kabuki brush and it's so great!

And I got the Elf eyebrow kit in ash which is a gel and a setting powder. Everything else I have ever tried has been too dark or harsh, but now I can do my eyebrows and not end up looking like this:

You would not believe how excited I am about this stuff. Mascara covered butterfly kisses for everyone!!!

And while I'm here I may as well tell you the rest of my favourite products at the moment:

Lipsticks - Nars is my favourite consistency of all time but at the moment I'm mainly wearing Chanel Rouge Allure in Suprenante or Mac Sheen Supreme in Phosphorescent (this colour makes me so happy! The online swatches do not do it justice).
Lip Liner - Chanel Le Crayon Levres in Bois de Rose.
Foundation - Diorskin Nude liquid foundation in the palest shade.
Powder - DIorskin powder in the palest shade.
Concealer - A Nars stick concealer or shiseido cream concealer.
Eyeshadows - Bobbi Brown cream eyeshadow in Bone as a base, then some combination of Mac (Naked Lunch, Satin Taupe, etc), Chanel (Fauve and Rose de Mai) and Nars (Silk Road) powder eyeshadows.
Eyeliner - Chanel Le Crayon Khol pencil in black.
Mascara - Diorshow in black (really good at sticking to the little eyelashes, then Benefit They're Real just on the tips as that is too much for the whole lash but good for thicking up the ends, Bobbi Brown is also good.
Blush - Nars in Sex Appeal, Douceur, Gaiety. And Mac Cremeblend blush in Something Special.
Lip Gloss - I don't usually wear gloss but really like Bobbi Brown Rich Color Gloss in Pink Raspberry.

Never thought I could wear cream eyeshadow or blush but the Bobbi Brown cream eyeshadow and Mac Cremeblend blush are really good and don't slide off.

Oh and I forgot nails! OPI, China Glaze and Ulta 3. Yay!

I wouldn't put a lot of effort into getting it transported.
Top Secret Researcher
#20 Old 1st Nov 2014 at 2:40 AM
I'm super late to the whole "putting shit on my face" / "taking care of my skin" group, as I'm 26, but I really enjoy the stuff I've bought from Yes To Carrots online. Supposedly super natural stuff, and each "type" does something different. Like the blueberries for anti-aging and carrots for toning, I think.

As far as make up goes, I like Coconut Bay Cosmetics (online and really cheap, their brushes are nice, too) and ELF. Can't really go wrong with ELF.

Again, not as knowledgeable as I should be considering I'm a woman. But I like Yes To Carrots. Fairly cheap as far as I can tell.

Not-so-daily TS2 downloads @ my simblr.
I aim to misbehave
retired moderator
#21 Old 1st Nov 2014 at 3:16 AM
I've never been a fan of mascara, blush or concealer. I usually only use eyeliner, the khol one by Yves Rocher. I rarely use lipstick, but when I do my favourite is Astor's 211 (Red Attraction) from the Color Last Vip collection and sometimes I also use Rimmel London's 300 (Electric Plum) from the Moisture Renew collection. I have a zillion nail polishes, most of them from Kiko Cosmetics. The few eyeshadows I have are also from Kiko, all of them very glittery. I also love Lush' Snow Fairy gel, it smells dreamy <3

Check out my tutorials: For TS4: Eyelashes and for TS2: Eyes and Eyes 2
-My Insta-

Please, call me Nina (:
Top Secret Researcher
#22 Old 2nd Nov 2014 at 9:59 AM
i don't really use make up that often, i always put mascara and eyeliner om when i'm going out but when i want to wear more make up this it what i usually use:

Foundation - Vivo Matte foundation, Honey Beige - shade 2
under eye Concealer - Vivo Roll on under eye concealer, Light shade 1 (it's okay but i need to get a darker shade next time i go shopping fr makeup)
Mascara - Lumiere Mascara
Eye liner - Rimmel London Scandal eyes Micro Eyeliner
Lip gloss - Lumiere Pink lip gloss
Eye shadow - grey eye shadow and silvery eye shadow

when i put on make up on i like to have dark Gothic eyes sometimes, don't judge me.
Forum Resident
#23 Old 4th Nov 2014 at 7:18 AM
I don't put much makeup on because I'm rather stingy and get advised by my parents to lay off it, but my preferences are as follows:

Foundation: Silkygirl/talcum powder.
Eyeliner: I'd get Manic Panic pencils if I could, but the shipping fees, ugh. Currently use Miss Rose's liners, which tend to be rather sheer.
Lipstick: Elianto red (Malaysian brand). Can't find true purple lipstick in physical stores...
Eyeshadow: Elianto, gift shop brands like Sera.
Mascara: Maybelline, Shedoes. I find that it doesn't really make much difference as long as it's pitch black.
Nail polish: Elianto, generic gift shop* brands. Preferably in blood red or flamboyant dark colors.

20 years ago my mother had a tube of Artistry red lipstick that she received as a sales promo gift, but it dried up so I can't use it. Besides, it smells unappealing.

*Generic makeup is sold in gift shops in Malaysia, not in drugstores.

Avatar model: Shi Gaik Lan / Atroxia "Jade Orchid" Lion (Source: Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires).
The Four Stars (Table of Content)
Mekageddon, the Interactive Story. (Remake Discussion) (Dev Tumblr)
Instructor
#24 Old 4th Nov 2014 at 2:20 PM
@pizza : I've seen so many of my friends (girls) freaking out about that palette! It's insane! I love beauty and high end products, but even I think that the hype behind that palette is crazy. I remember that last Christmas this girl I know got that palette (I think it was the #2?) from her boyfriend, and she was acting like he got her a new car. I told her something like "So... He only gave you that?" (I'm not saying that boyfriends are supposed to give expensive gifts, for Christ's sake, not at all. I just thought it was weird for a guy to only buy a few eyeshadows for his girlfriend for Christmas and assume that was, like, a legit Christmas gift ) and she basically told me that he had to sell his soul to Satan to put his hands on one of those, which were sold out everywhere here and that I couldn't understand.

It must be really good quality I guess :D