Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Fus Ro Dah!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jan 2012 at 7:41 AM
Default Tutorial: Creating Bumpmaps (Normal Maps) for TS3
Creating Bumpmaps (Normal Maps) for TS3

If you have any questions or feedback, leave a post here

For more Sims 3 stuff by me - visit Ace Creators
My FB Fan page - Elexis's Sims Stuff
My Simblr - ElexisSims
3 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#2 Old 23rd Jan 2012 at 7:52 AM
Thank you Elexis - it looks like this tutorial will be invaluable for objects and walls as well.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Field Researcher
#3 Old 6th Feb 2012 at 7:06 AM
And another thing: If you want a deeper-looking normal map, duplicate the generated map layers and then set the just-cloned layer as an Overlay. Do a Gaussian blur on it too for better results.
Scholar
#4 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 10:01 AM
Hello,

I don't understand how to change RGB channels with GIMP and I don't have Photoshop. Can you help me ?
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 1st Oct 2015 at 9:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TheJim07
Hello,

I don't understand how to change RGB channels with GIMP and I don't have Photoshop. Can you help me ?

Colors > Components > Decompose > RGB (or RGBA if your image has an alpha channel)

Do whatever

Colors > Components > Compose > RGB (or RGBA)
Scholar
#6 Old 1st Oct 2015 at 2:46 PM
Can you tell me step by step what I have to do to copy and paste the red canal in the alpha canal and copy and paste the green canal in the red and blue canal, please ?
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 1st Oct 2015 at 8:47 PM
This TS4 tutorial has gimp instructions. The steps are the same and explains the coping and pasting part.

You could also merge the red layer into the alpha, duplicate the green layer twice and rename the copies (red and blue). You would have to use compose as opposed to recompose if you do it that way.
Scholar
#8 Old 2nd Oct 2015 at 10:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Surei
This TS4 tutorial has gimp instructions. The steps are the same and explains the coping and pasting part.

You could also merge the red layer into the alpha, duplicate the green layer twice and rename the copies (red and blue). You would have to use compose as opposed to recompose if you do it that way.

Doesn't work for me. When I use decompose (RGBA) I have only 2 channels : grey and alpha.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 3rd Oct 2015 at 2:19 AM
Doesn't work for me. When I use decompose (RGBA) I have only 2 channels : grey and alpha.

Well yes, that is supposed to happen. You should have 4 layers in the layers dialog (red, green, blue, and alpha). You make changes to those, and once you compose/recompose they will be your new channels. Make sure you have "Decompose to layers" checked when you decompose.
Scholar
#10 Old 3rd Oct 2015 at 11:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Surei
Well yes, that is supposed to happen. You should have 4 layers in the layers dialog (red, green, blue, and alpha). You make changes to those, and once you compose/recompose they will be your new channels. Make sure you have "Decompose to layers" checked when you decompose.

I'm sorry but I don't understand. You are saying that I need to have 4 channels when I use Decompose, and I have only 2 (grey and alpha). How am I suppose to copy the red canal in the alpha canal without red canal ?
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 3rd Oct 2015 at 5:08 PM Last edited by Surei : 3rd Oct 2015 at 5:24 PM.
I'm sorry but I don't understand. You are saying that I need to have 4 channels when I use Decompose, and I have only 2 (grey and alpha). How am I suppose to copy the red canal in the alpha canal without red canal ?

You're supposed to have 2 channels (gray and alpha) and 4 layers. Do you have the layers window open?

Windows > Dockable Dialogs > Layers (menu) or ctrl + L (on keyboard)

If you have the layer dialog open you should see the 4 layers you want to edit.

Information about layers