Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#226 Old 27th Sep 2015 at 7:01 PM
I'm thinking of starting this challenge. I also think that I must be going insane to take on something like this when I've never even managed to finish a Legacy challenge before. Oh well. . .
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#227 Old 28th Sep 2015 at 8:42 PM
This is a great challenge that doesn't necessarily need to be finished, in my opinion, because finishing it means many, many hours of playing.
I've started mine in 2011 if I'm not mistaken, and it didn't go very far^^ but I love my little BaCC island to pieces (it didn't go very far yet because I have too many neighbourhoods to play and too many blogs about them ).
And because you play it in an independent neighbourhood, it doesn't matter how far you go (or don't go )
Test Subject
#228 Old 3rd Oct 2015 at 7:57 AM
Yesterday, I had to finish something off for my computing assignment so my friend and I went up to my computing teacher's room at lunch. My teacher was there, let's call him Mr Computing, sitting at his desk doing some work. There was no-one else in the room so we said 'hello' and sat in our usual corner.

We ended up talking about Sims. My friend isn't as Sim-obsessed as me, but she lets me talk about it to her. . . ANYWAY, I told her about this challenge because I had just finished designing the spreadsheet I was going to use and the database for keeping track of Sims. I talked about how awesome the challenge sounded and as I said, "It sounds really. . ."

Mr Computing interrupted.

I hadn't realised he'd been listening, but obviously he had. He finished off my sentence and said, "Nerdy." So. It sounds really nerdy. Which is true, obviously, but he said the word as if it was a bad thing. I just had that moment of a) not your conversation and b) you are a computing teacher. Surely nerdiness should not be a strange occurrence for you?

So now he thinks I'm a massive weirdo, but to be honest, I'll accept that with pride.
Test Subject
#229 Old 29th Dec 2015 at 6:53 PM
I have started with a completely clean hood. I have all the expansions and stuff packs, but thanks to modders only the Sims 2 base game townies.

I have a rule where a husband/wife for my sim costs no CAS points, this way I don't have to use the tiny amount of townies.
Instructor
#230 Old 31st Dec 2015 at 6:07 PM
I'm probably going to regret this because I have other neighborhoods I'm invested in, but I'm starting a BACC! Yay!

Right now I'm in the process of getting things ready. I've decided I'll start with twelve sims, one for each star sign, two for each aspiration, and three for each hair color. I randomized which sims would have which aspiration and which personality to get some more creative combinations. Now I just have to make the sims.

I've also been default replacing clothing/hair in preparation. That's something new for me, but I decided that I'm sick of scrolling through pages upon pages of clothing/hair. Plus I'm playing my BACC as on an island with no winter, so I don't want any clothes that are too heavy.

I'm debating how long my rotation are going to be. I know the rules say a week, but that's just really long for me, and it makes it hard when sims want to get married/move in the middle of a rotation. I'm thinking 3 days might be better for my purposes. That's still longer than the regular rotation I use, which is only 1 day at a time. I think I'm using nepheris's rule set in general though.

If anyone has advice about this challenge, I'd be happy to hear it! I think I have all the necessary mods in place to prevent townie spawning. I just need to remember to block certain NPCs with the visitor controller, like the mail carrier so I can do my own billing system instead of the game's.
Lab Assistant
#231 Old 10th Jan 2016 at 3:34 PM
MoreAwesomeThanYou has a lot sync timer that you can install in each household to keep track of how many days the house has been played. You can look at the list of other timers in the hood to see what household needs to be played. The sync timer allows you to be flexible about how long you play or who you play next and still keep the hood pacing together.

I've played several BACCs through to the end (PinkPanther's version). It is important to keep the number of playables down to a manageable number (don't use all your CAS points) and to use the multipliers to boost your population. It is also helpful to have different goals and styles of play for different families.
Lab Assistant
#232 Old 13th Feb 2016 at 1:07 PM
I play this challenge! I'm lizziemay in the boolprop forum as well.

I just wondered if any players around might want to answer this: how do you play university? So far I'm doing 2 years per rotation but I have the mod that makes semesters shorter (something like 24 or 48 hours?). I completely ignore the season in university (though it's set to spring and autumn all year round), even though I play households by season.

Anyone else still doing this challenge?
Lab Assistant
#233 Old 14th Feb 2016 at 4:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lizziemay
I play this challenge! I'm lizziemay in the boolprop forum as well.

I just wondered if any players around might want to answer this: how do you play university? So far I'm doing 2 years per rotation but I have the mod that makes semesters shorter (something like 24 or 48 hours?). I completely ignore the season in university (though it's set to spring and autumn all year round), even though I play households by season.

Anyone else still doing this challenge?

Hi, I'm planing my BACC since last year and for university i'm thinkin of doing the same thing as Jessa https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WY...n0Je_-&index=49 maybe you can get some ideas from it
Top Secret Researcher
#234 Old 16th Feb 2016 at 1:17 PM
I'm still playing it (Lili on Boolprop) but I'm very very far from unlocking University yet, I cannot help. I hadn't even considered it would be different from regular neighbourhoods.
Forum Resident
#235 Old 16th Feb 2016 at 6:44 PM
I'm still playing mine and am also over at Boolprop.

I play two years of University for a rotation without any mods to shorten the semesters (though I'm thinking about installing one to shorten them a little), and just got my first graduates. That feels about right to me, as I also extend the adult life stage for most of my Sims to double what the game gives them through Elixir of Life. I play weekly rotations and don't bother with syncing my seasons as I don't necessarily see my families as beginning at the same point in time when I play them - but I know that's me

Build a City Challenge on LiveJournal: Mesa Vista: my BaCC for fun
Mesa Vista Running list of chapters
Lab Assistant
#236 Old 20th Feb 2016 at 3:10 PM
I play University 'between' rotations. My rotations are a week, Monday to Monday. When I finish the rotation set, I play 4 years of University for whoever got there. I figure that 1 sim day is about 1 year in life, so University would typically take about 4 days. Young adults can 'go to college' anywhere in the week. So I figure 1/2 week duration would be about right for college and keep those returning from uni approximately in sync with their families. Lately I've started using lot-sync-timer to let me skip around more--but I still think of a rotation as 1 week. Since houses always start on Monday when you move in, it's convenient to try to do the move-ins 'between' rotations (at the beginning pr end).
Lab Assistant
#237 Old 22nd Feb 2016 at 6:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lorinsv60
I'm still playing mine and am also over at Boolprop.

I play two years of University for a rotation without any mods to shorten the semesters (though I'm thinking about installing one to shorten them a little), and just got my first graduates. That feels about right to me, as I also extend the adult life stage for most of my Sims to double what the game gives them through Elixir of Life. I play weekly rotations and don't bother with syncing my seasons as I don't necessarily see my families as beginning at the same point in time when I play them - but I know that's me

Mesa Vista! I remember you

Well I use a mod to always have new families start at the right season. It was a waste of LTW points (or whatever they're called) for the weather changing reward to just do it for one season. I'm doing 2 full years (four semesters) for university per year so, say, Summer students can join the Spring ones for their first and last years, respectively. It seems to work, though Greek placeholders are ruining the syncing...

How are you all coming with getting through each family? I have my favourites, I'm afraid to say, but getting through the boring over-achievers is making progress go so slowly. I've read up on random challenges and seen a list compose of 6 groups of 6 challenges, so you roll a normal dice and complete that challenge for that period. But I can't find the link anymore! I'm going to have to compose one

Here are are the town statistics:

Number of Sims: 123
Divider: 15 (1 to start, 1 for first community lot, 1 for 5 community lots, 1 for every five after (x2), 5 for business district, 5 for university)
Total Lots: 40 (24 residential, 16 community)

Total population: 1,845.

My next goal is to reach a population of 2,500 and then 5,000 :s
Field Researcher
#238 Old 19th Mar 2016 at 12:06 AM
For those who are playing or have played this challenge: did you complete it? What was the max population you reached, and what was your total of real sims and your multiplier?

If interested, feel free to visit the thread I posted about a new rules variant I'm working on: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=574391
Lab Assistant
#239 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 5:16 PM
I completed Pink Panther's version of the BACC three times, after a few short starts. I found the key for me to complete the challenge was to plan on having about half the points come from multipliers, and half from CAS sims. I did not create CAS sims as soon as points became available--at least after the first few families. Towards the end, I only had sims for about half the CAS points and the others were banked to 'declare victory' on achieving a populations of 50,000.
I found keeping track of everything to be a pain--and that is why I have not restarted another BACC. I'm tired of keeping a spreadsheet when I play.
For me, the best part was trying a lot of different ways to play. One of my favorite characters was a Calista Fuchs who had an incredible natural dance talent (and made moves starting out that i've not seen other sims do). She learned all the vacation dances, started a dance studio, and converted the town's basic dance from Smustle to Hula as she worked the business up to level 10. I still play rotations, but they are more free form. And I still try to convert the autonomous dance to Hula.
Top Secret Researcher
#240 Old 2nd Apr 2016 at 11:40 AM
By the way, I would really love to read the original BBS post by the inventor of the BaCC , would anyone happen to have screen captures?
I only have the very beginning

Lab Assistant
#241 Old 4th Jul 2016 at 4:27 PM
Played the challenge myself, and I gotta say - it's indeed diffucult yet I had fun time playing it . Started yesterday, and I managed to build&own the very first lot today before my pregnant founder sim died and later on my moved towny :D. Oh well, gotta re-start the challenge again in the same lot.

P.S. I'll be doing a let's play out of it, but with no commentary. I'll link the video to all of you who are interested in watching it.
Lab Assistant
#242 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 10:19 AM
Field Researcher
#243 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 11:07 PM Last edited by PanAm103 : 10th Jul 2016 at 12:18 AM.
OK! Alenquer now has a university - woohoo! Donated by a farming family... (yeah, it's strange, I explained it in another thread). This means that, currently, I have 55 playables and a multiplier of 19, for a population total of 1045! I now also have two sub-hoods, Leadworth and Sobralenquer (Sobralenquer is my military base).

Alenquer (main hood)

Leadworth (sub-hood)

Sobralenquer (military base) - a bit Obersalzberg-style
Lab Assistant
#244 Old 26th Jul 2016 at 6:48 PM
I have a challenge that can be incorporated or can be played along (I had tried posting this before in another ,but its submission got rejected because of an accidental post click without finishing ;( ). It is called "No buy mode - Go to the store!"

By the name you probably guessed what it is about. For those who didn't - it's a challenge that you are not allowed to buy things from buy mode catalog for (most of) entirely of time.

You begin in by playing in any type of household, either it be pre-existing, from the bin or your own created. Just make sure it's not one of the rich one's that can easily afford a business right off a bat. After that is done, this will be the last time you'll be buying anything from buy mode other than a few objects. Now furnish your house with objects from buy that are necessary in helping your sims replenish their needs. You can also put any decoration you want, but these objects must not interfare with the gameplay apart from giving your house an aesthetical look and replenishing the enviroment need. Forgot to mention one more thing - you are not allowed to change the color of the object as well.

If you have University EP installed, your sims are only allowed to use cellphones, but no telephones (delete them once your sim has a cellphone or simply don't use telephones). You can only use the telephone under this condition:

• If the sim you're commanding to use the phone is a child
    Older sims can only use it to travel to a community lots just to by a cellphone that has them, If walk off action isn't available (appears with Bon Voyage EP)
    If there is no lot to start from, which makes it impossible to buy the cellphone

Once your sim can afford a community lot, you build one of the following type of shops listed below. You can intregrade no more than three types in one shop. These are:

*will be listed later on*
Lab Assistant
#245 Old 27th Jul 2016 at 11:49 AM
Default Question
I have a few questions regarding with the rules...

Once I reach 18 community lots and one business districts, must I use/count in these points:
Quote:
1 for founding your city
1 for the first community lot that was placed
3 total for having 5, then 10, and then 15 community lots
5 for the business district
For a total of 10.

Or can I use both:
Quote:
+1 for the first community lot you place
+1 each time you reach a multiple of 5 community lots (So, you add one to your multiplier when you reach 5 community lots, then one when you reach 10, then 15, then 20, etc.)
+5 for adding a Downtown
+5 for each Business District
+5 for each University

So if your neighborhood has 18 community lots and one business district your Multiplier points would be as follows:
1 for founding your city
For a total of 10.

?

Also, do I get 5 points from inserting my very first downtown, or for each one I add? That third sentence from the above top starts throws me of from the other last two.
Field Researcher
#246 Old 27th Jul 2016 at 3:09 PM
@lukas11xxf
What do you mean with "both"? If you have 18 community lots and one business district, your multiplier would be 10, I don't understand what you mean. Note that you don't have to have 18 community lots and one business district, it was just an example @iCad used. As for the Downtown question, it says "+5 for adding a Downtown" because you can only add one Downtown (though you can add as many Universities and Business Districts as you wish, if you've earned them).
Lab Assistant
#247 Old 28th Jul 2016 at 11:13 AM
Both I mean by both paragraphs that list points. Ah so does Downtown in general can be only one per town or does the rule forbiddens of adding more of them? Thank you for the response.
Field Researcher
#248 Old 28th Jul 2016 at 10:40 PM
@lukas11xxf
Both paragraphs list the same. When you found your city, obviously your multiplier will be 1. After you add you first community lot, your multiplier becomes 2. With 18 community lots, you earn another 3 for placing multiples of 5 (5, 10 and 15), for a total of 5. The business district earns you another 5, totaling 10.

No problem Glad I could help.
Lab Assistant
#249 Old 29th Jul 2016 at 11:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PanAm103
@lukas11xxf
Both paragraphs list the same. When you found your city, obviously your multiplier will be 1. After you add you first community lot, your multiplier becomes 2. With 18 community lots, you earn another 3 for placing multiples of 5 (5, 10 and 15), for a total of 5. The business district earns you another 5, totaling 10.

No problem Glad I could help.

No they don't. Ya I understand, I just didn't the get what the 2nd sentence below the second list had in mind.
Lab Assistant
#250 Old 29th Jul 2016 at 11:22 AM Last edited by lukas11xxf : 29th Jul 2016 at 11:41 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by lukas11xxf
No they don't. Ya I understand, I just didn't the get what the 2nd sentence below the second list had in mind.

I thought I had to only use these VVVV
"1 for founding your city
For a total of 10." After reaching 18 c. lots and binding a business district.

Oh wait, this was just an example. Lol, my bad :D
Page 10 of 15