Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#151 Old 2nd Apr 2012 at 7:36 PM
Simmers building relationships with their Sims on their phones? Ugh, I can imagine a possible scenario of a Simmer with that application in a public setting...

Instructor: "Air is forced to rise in 4 different ways; over an area of low pressure, by orographic uplift, from cold fronts, or thermally."

Student: *Listens and takes notes*

*Cell phone suddenly begins to vibrate in the Student's pocket*

Student: *Ignores cell phone as they continued to listen to the lecture and fellow classmates asking questions about the subject*

*Cell phone continues to vibrate for several minutes*

Student: *After being annoyed by the constant vibration of their cell phone, the Student finally removes it from their pocket*

*A Sim appears on the screen of the phone with big, moist eyes, and a frown on their face*

The Sim: *Speaks in Simlish (Translated in English: Why are you ignoring me? I thought we were going to the movies today!)*

Student: *Whispers, "I can't right now. I'm in class."*

The Sim: *Responds in Simlish but translated in English, "But I'm lonely. I miss you!"*

Instructor: "When the air parcel is forced to rise, it cools by what?" *Stands in front of the Student*

Student: "I already told you not now; I'm in the middle of class!" *Looks up at the sound of the instructor clearing their throat* "Uh... Hey?"

Yeah, Hilleman, that is totally NOT awkward at all. Nope, it is normal for a Simmer to yell at their Sim in class or wherever they are... I, too, will jump off The Sims bandwagon if this is where the series is heading. I don't use my cell phone other than to make phone calls and to listen to music, so why would I want THAT application on my phone, let alone become romantically involved with a Sim?
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#152 Old 2nd Apr 2012 at 11:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ViolettaVie
If they want to add features they should try a story mode. It could be just like live mod but all motives of all the sims in the neighborhood are frozen and you can direct any sim to do anything. Relationships or being friends or not with other sims do not matter. You can direct sims to do these actions and control whether or not the action is accepted by the other sim. That way if you are making a comic stripe or a movie, you can get the sims to do what you want without cheats. It could be like a neighborhood movie set that actually works.

I believe you can approximate game-play such as this through a combination of Twallan mods.

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
Test Subject
#153 Old 3rd Apr 2012 at 12:20 AM
Aw, if they release some huge mobile thing, I'm screwed. EA wants to bring cellphones and stuff into this? What if you don't have a phone (like me D: )? And I think the whole 'talking to your sims' is horrific... :I I think I'll just stay on my sims 3 for eternity, unless EA gets out of this whole mess with their next EP/Sims Game (Which I'm quite doubtful of)
Mad Poster
#154 Old 3rd Apr 2012 at 12:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CowPlantsForHire
I don't use my cell phone other than to make phone calls and to listen to music, so why would I want THAT application on my phone, let alone become romantically involved with a Sim?

EA probably thinks simmers have no one to talk to and they need a real life social bunny.
Field Researcher
#155 Old 3rd Apr 2012 at 1:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by zigersimmer
I believe you can approximate game-play such as this through a combination of Twallan mods.

Hmm, which mods would those be?
Top Secret Researcher
#156 Old 3rd Apr 2012 at 2:15 AM Last edited by zigersimmer : 3rd Apr 2012 at 2:33 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by ViolettaVie
Hmm, which mods would those be?

Off the top of my head: MasterController, StoryProgression, Dreamer, GoHere, PortraitPanel and RelationshipPanel. (I'm still learning to use those last two.)

Google for nraas and peruse the mods Twallan has shared with us. You may find many others that will help you play the game your way.

Note: If you need assistance with Twallan's mods, be sure to ask in the forums on the nraas industries site. (MTS moderators will swiftly remind you if you ask here.)

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
Field Researcher
#157 Old 3rd Apr 2012 at 6:51 PM Last edited by iheartcowcapoos : 3rd Apr 2012 at 7:01 PM.
why the hell would i want to video chat with my sims? that is the epitome of crazy. "oh hey, want to hang out?" no sorry, i have a video chat date with a fictional character that doesn't speak english, or any other real language for that matter.
i mean really? REALLY? they're depicting us as antisocial lunatics. as people who play with "dollhouses" and video chat with our sims. i can't quite explain in words what i'm thinking right now about this, but i hope this is coming out as something that makes sense to people.

edit: p.s. i will never want to send out a post card of my sims at some monument. what kind of weirdo would i be if i sent that instead an ACTUAL picture of myself?
p.s.s. i wish ea would stop shoving social interactions down our throats.
p.s.s.s. i hope lucy DOES hit him with a chair.
Forum Resident
#158 Old 3rd Apr 2012 at 11:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by crocobaura
EA probably thinks simmers have no one to talk to and they need a real life social bunny.

And I am sure they are unaware some people aren't gonna be using the webchat just to talk if you get my drift.. I wonder if this is meant for the more lonely people who probably do things when they are alone.
Field Researcher
#159 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 12:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by zigersimmer
Note: If you need assistance with Twallan's mods, be sure to ask in the forums on the nraas industries site. (MTS moderators will swiftly remind you if you ask here.)

I wasn't looking for mod support, just curious about what you said since I use Master Controller. I haven't explore the mod thoroughly so I don't know all of the features. But thanks.
Field Researcher
#160 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 6:39 PM
Heyyy! Things are looking up. EA just won an award for their products ...

Golden Poo Award

/sarcasm

Simulis
απολαυστικά κακό
Mad Poster
#161 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 7:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iheartcowcapoos
why the hell would i want to video chat with my sims? that is the epitome of crazy. "oh hey, want to hang out?" no sorry, i have a video chat date with a fictional character that doesn't speak english, or any other real language for that matter.
i mean really? REALLY? they're depicting us as antisocial lunatics. as people who play with "dollhouses" and video chat with our sims. i can't quite explain in words what i'm thinking right now about this, but i hope this is coming out as something that makes sense to people.

edit: p.s. i will never want to send out a post card of my sims at some monument. what kind of weirdo would i be if i sent that instead an ACTUAL picture of myself?
p.s.s. i wish ea would stop shoving social interactions down our throats.
p.s.s.s. i hope lucy DOES hit him with a chair.

(Bolded underlined part by me)
EA doesn't get that I am an antisocial, dollhouse, sim playing lunatic that like it that way while I am playing. I don't even log in while playing unless I am trying to satisfy my sim want to simport a tour in town. I am failing in that so now I ignore that wish.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Instructor
#162 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 7:58 PM
The future of the Sims in EA's eyes is that there will no longer be any kind of independant modding community at all and sites like this will cease to exist. Disagree or agree but that is what they are ultimately aiming for.
Site Helper
#163 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 9:04 PM
I suppose that there will still be a use for sites like modthesims. After all, EA still doesn't provide real support for the game.
Mad Poster
#164 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 9:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
I suppose that there will still be a use for sites like modthesims. After all, EA still doesn't provide real support for the game.

If they turn it into a facebook-like game, they won't have to offer much support. Now people complain that the animations are wonky, the textures not well defined, routing issues, etc. You don't see that kind of complains with facebook games. Simple game, few bugs, less need for support.
Site Helper
#165 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 10:28 PM
I don't believe that EA is going to turn the Sims into a facebook-like game. After all, they already have Sims Social.

However, they seem to be trying to add a significant online component to all of their games, as a DRM strategy. I can't believe that they won't try to monetize that online component in some way. They may still allow people to create things for the game, but perhaps they'll insist that all CC (even user-created CC) is sold through Origin, so that they can make money on them.

I'm not sure that EA understands the value of CC to most people's games. Instead, they just see people downloading content for free, rather than downloading sets from EA. Now, if EA could just make a dollar or two for each item that people download, regardless of creator...

Please note: this is not what I want. I'm just speculating on the role of CC in a game with a forced online component.
Instructor
#166 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 10:33 PM
However, they seem to be trying to add a significant online component to all of their games, as a DRM strategy. I can't believe that they won't try to monetize that online component in some way. They may still allow people to create things for the game, but perhaps they'll insist that all CC (even user-created CC) is sold through Origin, so that they can make money on them.

This sounds pretty similar to the system in other online games, such as Second Life or There (is There even still around?). The user created content is sold "in-world" with the creator getting a cut of the funds.

I believe There even took a majority of the profits, but I never created anything in that world, so I'm not sure how that economy worked.

Cagley Family Legacy (A Random Legacy Challenge)
Instructor
#167 Old 5th Apr 2012 at 2:47 AM
I don't believe that EA is going to turn the Sims into a facebook-like game. After all, they already have Sims Social.

I'm not sure that EA understands the value of CC to most people's games. Instead, they just see people downloading content for free, rather than downloading sets from EA. Now, if EA could just make a dollar or two for each item that people download, regardless of creator...

Please note: this is not what I want. I'm just speculating on the role of CC in a game with a forced online component.

That idea frightens me like i wish you would take it down before someone from EA sees it and gets ideas frightened. BUT as we know from this interview EA pays no real attention to the sims 3 community so I doubt they will ever read it. but pay CC is bad enough I WILL NOT pay EA every time I want a new dress or stove.
Mad Poster
#168 Old 5th Apr 2012 at 2:54 AM
While it looks like it is a relatively new phase for EA, over 2 years ago John Riccitiello stated that he wanted to take all of EA online, and this is a quote from about that time:
Quote:
“We’re building the strength of our most important IP,” he said. “And for EA, this means about a dozen very substantial IPs. Each of these will be transformed into year-round businesses with major packaged goods launches, social launches, mobile launches, downloadable content and microtransactions.” Sounds like there’ll be no escaping from EA’s top franchises, whatever platform you’re on, and however often platforms like the iPad and Android smartphones are updated and refreshed.

From this article: http://gamedesignschools411.com/joh...s-gone-forever/

That includes the Sims label. A major label for them, and they're not going to miss out on any way to make money.

It was foretold years ago-and now simmers are realizing that the future is here. Get used to it, because it's not going to go away, only worse.
Instructor
#169 Old 5th Apr 2012 at 6:57 AM
Lmaoooooooo. Why the fuck am I not surprised?
Alchemist
#170 Old 5th Apr 2012 at 7:08 AM
...foretold. Now that is a word. Ah, yes. John Riccitiello, the prophet. Reminds me of this, regarding 'prophet' John.
http://www.idleballad.com/
Page 7 of 7