Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jan 2010 at 4:53 PM
windows in diagonal walls?
I had a long break from TS2 because I got bored with it. About a month or two ago I decided my break was over and started playing on it again. Having not been on it for about 4 - 6 months, and before that not really even made houses much, I had forgotten all the cheats. Now I am trying to build a house based on a picture from the internet, which involves putting windows in diagonal walls. The game won't let me place them there but I am sure I have seen houses that have windows and doors in diagonal walls. Is there a cheat or anything that will allow me to do this?
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 25th Jan 2010 at 5:01 PM
As far as I know, most EA-made windows will go into diagonal walls without any problem and without using cheats. Custom content windows probably have to be made properly to work on diagonal walls... I seem to remember seeing some which specifically state that they do or do not work on the diagonal.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Jan 2010 at 5:10 PM
Really? But I am using EA windows and it is telling me i cannot place them there. Hmm... maybe I will try again and find out.

"If the human brain was simple enough to understand, we'd be too simple to understand it."

"Some things I cannot change, but till I try I'll never know."
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#4 Old 25th Jan 2010 at 5:30 PM
Instructor
#5 Old 25th Jan 2010 at 10:47 PM
Also make sure that moveobjects is off. Indeed some custom windows don't have the diagonal mesh.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 25th Jan 2010 at 11:46 PM Last edited by ClicknPsycho : 26th Jan 2010 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Spelling is blah!
Sometimes if there is an adjacent wall, fence or door on the other side of the angle, it might not work.

ClicknPsycho
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#7 Old 26th Jan 2010 at 3:35 AM
One or two EA windows also lose their diagonals when you have parts of the CEP installed that isn't compatible with your game .. or something along these lines. Me and HugeLunatic had that problem once (remember HL? The Nightlife Windows?).

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#8 Old 26th Jan 2010 at 3:25 PM
lol Oh I remember that install/uninstall session. And yes I believe it had to do with installing/uninstalling EP's without proper uninstall/install of the CEP to go along with it.

Which window is not placing? Can you provide a screenshot of where your trying to place it?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 26th Jan 2010 at 4:14 PM
Actually Mootilda was right - ea windows do work. I think what I was doing wrong before was trying to rotate them so they were diagonal which was a bit silly of me. I think I also had snapobjectstogrid false on and moveobjects, so that could have ben the problem...
Anyway, I've done it now, thanks!

"If the human brain was simple enough to understand, we'd be too simple to understand it."

"Some things I cannot change, but till I try I'll never know."
Test Subject
#10 Old 13th May 2013 at 1:56 AM
I can get the windows to go diagonal, but it shows the wall is still there (no transparency through the glass). Is there someway to fix that?
Site Helper
#11 Old 13th May 2013 at 2:09 AM
Try saving the lot, exiting to the neighborhood view, then editing the lot again. That usually fixes the bad cut-out.
Test Subject
#12 Old 13th May 2013 at 2:30 AM
Thanks so much for the quick reply! It seems that when I look closer, the windows aren't sitting "in" the wall, but just outside, so that's most likely the problem. But I can't get them to touch the wall at all using the 45degreeangle true cheat. Any ideas? I tried it with moveobjects on and off.
Site Helper
#13 Old 13th May 2013 at 6:53 PM
If the windows don't have a diagonal mesh, I don't believe that they will work. Are these EA windows or custom ones? Do they have a diagonal mesh?
Test Subject
#14 Old 14th Jul 2013 at 11:09 PM
Default Issue with placing diagonal windows
I have just recently re-downloaded everything due to a computer crash. I had noticed this post about issues with the diagonal windows previous to my crash. I have all EP & Stuff paks but could not get any of my windows to go on the diagonal and I think its because of the CEP. When I re-loaded my games all my EA windows could be placed on the diagonal; however, once I loaded some custom windows, (my favorite craftsman windows by tbudgett@MTS that I use ALL the time) it will no longer allow me to place the windows on the diagonal. there was a diagonal mesh that came with it and I made sure it showed up in my downloads. I have not yet loaded CEP because I wanted to see if I could get the windows in first...no such luck. they still will not place on the diagonal please help
Site Helper
#15 Old 15th Jul 2013 at 12:27 AM
The CEP doesn't destroy the ability to place windows on the diagonal. However, it seems possible that you've downloaded some bad CC. What happens if you backup your save game, then remove all of your CC and clear your caches?
Test Subject
#16 Old 15th Jul 2013 at 12:57 AM
that's just it, everything is brand new. I re-installed my games last week and decided I was only going to download custom content as needed/wanted. I really dont have very much. those craftsman windows and something I found off MTS where it has a stream, waterfall, waterfall bounce, etc. There were no "saved" games. I am having to start from scratch. I never do any modding I dont know how and really dont have the time. I just love to build my houses and neighborhoods, which are all now gone. (Heavy sigh!) but I actually kind of glad I can start over because I know things now that I didnt know 2 years ago.
Site Helper
#17 Old 15th Jul 2013 at 5:31 AM
Remove all of your CC and clear your caches. If it works, then you know that there is a problem with your CC. Do the rest of the Game Help:Game Problemwiki FAQ to find and fix the problem.

Also: next time, problems with your game belong in the Sims 2 Help forum.
Test Subject
#18 Old 22nd Jul 2013 at 3:16 AM
sorry bout that. new to this whole 'forum' thing. just saw this post and it was with regard to the problem I am having.
Test Subject
#19 Old 22nd Jul 2013 at 3:22 AM
ummmm so i tried what you said...still doesnt work. basically the only time it worked is just before I uploaded any custom content. now that I took it out still doesnt work. I am not good at these forum things so would you mind telliing me exactly what I should put in the search field to find the right pace to post. i tried 'cant place diagnonal windows' and that only takes me to some sims wiki thing that has information about cheats, etc.
Site Helper
#20 Old 22nd Jul 2013 at 3:43 AM
At the end of the game problem FAQ that I linked above, you are given a link to the help forum. However, you are expected to have done the entire FAQ before you start a new thread.