Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Oct 2013 at 11:40 PM
Default unable to place floor tiles on a 9 sq block of ground
Hello

I have built and completed a Manor house and when I went to place floor tiles there was a 9 sq block which would not cover with tiles (see image). The lot was lot adjusted halfway through the build, losing tiles from the side and the back. I have tried reversing the lot adjust and the problem remains. It then caused a problem with the pool that I had built using the pool segments. I have tried using the 'stuck objects' tool as well - nothing to nuke. I can build straight walls on the block of tiles, but not diagonal walls, I can place a door. I can also terrain paint the area. I have lot adjusted the lot and shrunk the front to remove the offending tiles and lot adjusted it back to add them. Nothing has worked. I have also tried going over trying to pick up things using the picker tool, the design tool and the hammer tool. I've even tried cfeing the area and digging a hole to no avail!

I found these threads http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...ght=floor+tiles last post and a friend has removed the vertex layer described in this post. I also followed the link given in that post too. Nothing has worked.

Anyone else got any other ideas?

Thank you
Screenshots

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 14th Oct 2013 at 1:06 AM
When you adjusted the lot to remove the tiles, did you just move the tiles under the road segment, or did you move them completely off the lot? If you just moved them under the road, then whatever is causing the problem would not have been deleted. I can't see how this problem could survive a shrink / grow cycle if the tiles were actually removed from the lot. Note that you may have to temporarily remove the road to make this happen.

Were the curved pool sections on the lot when you used the LotAdjuster? There's a known problem with those pool sections and that may have caused the problem. Have you tried deleting the curved pool section at that location? I have no idea whether that will work, but it's worth a try. You could also try deleting a normal pool in that location, or even creating then deleting a pool in that location.

Do you still have the backup that you made before you used the LotAdjuster? if so, it should be possible to tell whether the problem was caused by the LotAdjuster or not. If the problem was caused by the curved pool sections, then you can remove the pool sections before using the LotAdjuster (if you still have the backup).
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 14th Oct 2013 at 3:16 AM
Have you tried building walls around the edge and filling the floor in one go? Or even building a room one tile out and filling the floor starting from where you know the tile does go?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#4 Old 14th Oct 2013 at 5:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Have you tried building walls around the edge and filling the floor in one go? Or even building a room one tile out and filling the floor starting from where you know the tile does go?

Tried that one for her this morning Jo, no go.
We spent a good 3 hours trying just about every trick int he book I think!

Rome wasn't built in a day

Need help finding building items, check out my building blog https://bestbuilditems4sims2.wordpress.com/
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 14th Oct 2013 at 5:29 AM
What a pain, maybe if the tile can't be placed turn it into a garden bed? I know it doesn't leave much room but since you guys already tried all of the above I'm out of what else to do.

First time I used the lot adjuster it did something funky to my road that I could not undo but that was on my small council house and I could easily rebuild that. I know now with any large lot I tend to save a copy to the house bin after any tricky part, or at the half way point just in case something happens. One lot the pool got that green edge glitch and I was so thankful I had that house bin back up as I didn't lose too much of the build.

Oh how about trying to draw with the pool tool there and then undoing it?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
Original Poster
#6 Old 14th Oct 2013 at 5:40 PM
What a pain, maybe if the tile can't be placed turn it into a garden bed? I know it doesn't leave much room but since you guys already tried all of the above I'm out of what else to do.
I'd love to turn it into a flower bed (that section is right in front of the entrance way) but I can't and now that I know it is faulty I want to fix it.

Oh how about trying to draw with the pool tool there and then undoing it?
Will try the adding and removing a pool later tonight.

Thanks for the suggestions, Jo

Thanks for taking a look at this problem for me, Mootilda. I will try and take a look at the lot again tonight, when I get home from choir practice (I'm in the UK).

Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
When you adjusted the lot to remove the tiles, did you just move the tiles under the road segment, or did you move them completely off the lot? If you just moved them under the road, then whatever is causing the problem would not have been deleted. I can't see how this problem could survive a shrink / grow cycle if the tiles were actually removed from the lot. Note that you may have to temporarily remove the road to make this happen.

I shrunk the lot by 8 so the actual house was almost on the road.

Were the curved pool sections on the lot when you used the LotAdjuster? There's a known problem with those pool sections and that may have caused the problem. Have you tried deleting the curved pool section at that location? I have no idea whether that will work, but it's worth a try. You could also try deleting a normal pool in that location, or even creating then deleting a pool in that location.

I think I adjusted the lot prior to adding the pool sections but I can't say for sure. Before I shrunk the lot I removed all of the items from that section. With regards to the pool I will look later to see whether I can build a pool in that area or not.

Do you still have the backup that you made before you used the LotAdjuster? if so, it should be possible to tell whether the problem was caused by the LotAdjuster or not. If the problem was caused by the curved pool sections, then you can remove the pool sections before using the LotAdjuster (if you still have the backup).

Unfortunately I didn't make a back up of the lot before I adjusted it, sorry. But I will in future.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#7 Old 14th Oct 2013 at 5:56 PM
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
Original Poster
#8 Old 14th Oct 2013 at 6:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
I've read through everything (I think) and didn't see thi, but did you try placing tiles when using the moveobjects on cheat?
yes I did.

Site Helper
#9 Old 14th Oct 2013 at 7:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by karen lorraine
I shrunk the lot by 8 so the actual house was almost on the road.
My suggestion is that you shrink the lot by 18 and remove the front road. Then, expand it by 18 again and add the front road in again. That way, the bad area will actually be pushed off of the lot completely, rather than just moved underneath the road.

Be sure to backup first. Shrinking like this may actually move the problem to a different spot on the lot.

If the LotAdjuster refuses to shrink the lot by that amount, the error message may give us more information about where the problem lies.

I don't suppose that you use versioned backups? The LotAdjuster defaults to keeping one backup, but versioned backups might mean that you still have a copy of the lot before it was adjusted.
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
Original Poster
#10 Old 14th Oct 2013 at 11:11 PM
What are versioned backups? Also, if I shrink by 18 tiles I will be inside the house. Do I need to remove that part of the house before I adjust the lot?

I will have to leave this until tomorrow, far too late now to make a backup and open the game though.

Thank you Mootilda

Site Helper
#11 Old 14th Oct 2013 at 11:53 PM
Versioned backups are a LotAdjuster option. Rather than create one backup which gets overwritten the next time that you use the LotAdjuster, it will create a uniquely named backup each time that you run. However, the default is making just one backup. If you don't know what versioned backups are, you probably didn't select that option.

My first suggestion is that you try the various pool tools. If I remember correctly, 3x3 is the size of the curved pool section, and there is a known problem with the curved pool and the LotAdjuster. [Update: I was wrong. The curved pool section is 2x2.]

However, if you want to try shrinking the lot to remove that area, then you really do have to shrink that area off of the lot. Moving the bad area under the road is unlikely to fix the problem. Will shrinking the lot work? I have no idea. I also don't know enough about your lot to tell you exactly how many tiles you would have to shrink. You said that you shrunk the lot by 8 tiles, which placed the house very close to the road. If you remove the road, you should be able to shrink another 10 tiles (for the road itself), which is why I suggested 18 tiles.

If you want to give me the lot, I'm quite happy to try to find out what the problem is. I have programs which might help to determine what's on those tiles.
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
Original Poster
#12 Old 15th Oct 2013 at 8:09 PM
Thank you for offering to take a closer look at my house, Mootilda. Please find it attached.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  October 2013.rar (4.38 MB, 5 downloads) - View custom content

Site Helper
#13 Old 15th Oct 2013 at 9:54 PM
Can you tell me which EPs and SPs you have installed?
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
Original Poster
#14 Old 15th Oct 2013 at 10:02 PM
All of them except Store and holiday.

Site Helper
#15 Old 15th Oct 2013 at 10:57 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 15th Oct 2013 at 11:32 PM.
I can get rid of the problem by doing the following:
- Remove everything from the first 15 tiles of the lot (including the road). Be sure to delete the rounded pool edges and fountains.
- Shrink the lot by 15 tiles at the front while removing the road
- Expand the lot by 15 tiles at the front and add back the road.
- Add back everything that was deleted from the first 15 tiles.
At that point, everything seems to be OK.

I'm going to do some further investigation to see whether I can find out exactly what's causing the problem.
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
Original Poster
#16 Old 15th Oct 2013 at 11:04 PM
Yay, thank you

Lab Assistant
#17 Old 15th Oct 2013 at 11:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by karen lorraine
Yay, thank you

Awesome Kaz....I told you this morning if anyone can fix the lot Mootilda can Good stuff!!
Site Helper
#18 Old 16th Oct 2013 at 1:36 AM
It's an odd problem. It looks like an object was incompletely deleted. Information about objects are stored in several different records, and it looks like some of the records for the object might be missing. Specifically, I believe that the object might be referenced in the 3ARY instance 0x3B76, but not in any of the OBJ records.

Anyway, I doubt that I'll do anything further tonight since I'm getting tired, but tomorrow I'll see whether I can find the invalid reference. This might be something that the LotAdjuster could check for and fix, but I'd love to know how it happened.
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
Original Poster
#19 Old 16th Oct 2013 at 8:06 AM
Thank you.

If it helps I dumped buggybooz deco stairs and silentlucidity omsps (visible) in that area whilst I was trying to work out how to do the front. The omsps didn't get used but the deco stairs did.

Constant Contestant
retired moderator
Original Poster
#20 Old 18th Oct 2013 at 12:00 AM
Just wanted to say a huge thank you to Mootilda! You are one in a million. I have done what you suggested (removing 15 tiles and road and replacing) and the lot is now fixed. Thank you so much for looking at the lot for me

I'd still love to know what you find out re incomplete deletion of objects, cos it intrigues me too.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#21 Old 18th Oct 2013 at 12:05 AM
So glad you got that sorted Karen.

~Call me Jo~