Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#26 Old 3rd May 2010 at 11:49 PM
Having a lot of fun with these, they're rather addictive I think it would be cool if we could use them on download comments
Advertisement
Site Helper
#27 Old 4th May 2010 at 12:30 AM
They are kind of fun, at least until the novelty wears off.

Fun new game: Find a friend and click "love" on all their posts!

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Retired
retired moderator
#28 Old 4th May 2010 at 2:30 PM
I think these are great in the general forums, but I already suspect they're a nuisance in the debate forum. People are able to click their disagreement without making a coherent case at all, and they really have no use in that forum except to muddy the waters or provide an ego boost. I strongly recommend a vote or something on whether we keep them in debate or not. They're still great elsewhere.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#29 Old 4th May 2010 at 2:50 PM
kiwi_tea - I have to disagree. I think they're actually quite useful there - if someone agrees or disagrees but has nothing more coherent to say or doesn't add anything to the discussion that hasn't already been said, they can just click agree or disagree. Or if they do want to make a point, they can say "I agreed/disagreed, and here's why:"

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Retired
retired moderator
#30 Old 4th May 2010 at 3:53 PM
I suppose you're right. But I tend to think debate should be something quite removed from 'which ideas are most popular' or 'agreed with', and far closer to 'who lays out a coherent case'. But this is internet debate, after all, and there aren't exactly winners or losers. Have you considered, though, that they're going to work like the 'worm' in political debates, insofar as fence-sitters are concerned:

http://www.theonion.com/video/new-l...-viewers,14350/

I imagine a little bit of this happening. Then again, I may be overestimating how much attention people will pay to them.

Test Subject
#31 Old 4th May 2010 at 5:58 PM
As a Rav user, I am so excited to see these adopted here! I always miss them when I am in other forums. Great job Delphy and HP!
Gone Fishin'
retired moderator
#32 Old 4th May 2010 at 6:16 PM
The bug fix seems to have done the trick - everything works like a charm now for me as well. Thanks!
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#33 Old 4th May 2010 at 9:41 PM
kiwi_tea, I agree, debate is about, well, debating. A lot of people tend to post just because they see the topic and think "Yes!" or "No!", though, without actually having a firm opinion or any rationalisation for it. If they can click a button instead of trying to eke a post out of not very much at all, that's probably a good thing.

Of course we can turn the feature off in any area of the site if it becomes a problem, but hopefully we won't have to do that.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
transmogrified
retired moderator
#34 Old 7th May 2010 at 3:25 PM
Would it be possible to add an "unhelpful" or "hey, did you even read the post you're responding to" button? For brevity's sake, we could call it something like bacon "left field." It's not so much that people are posting off topic (I have a mod hammer for that, and I'm not afraid to use it). Rather, they are ignoring the specifics of the post they are responding to. I have a couple of examples from WCIF and discussion, if that would help clarify my suggestion.
Not actually evil.
#35 Old 7th May 2010 at 7:09 PM
By far the best use of these buttons is in the Graveyard forum. The ban notices there are effin' hilarious, and now we can applaud the creativity of the ban notice writers. I want to mash agree, funny, and love, but somehow limit myself to just funny. If there were a "sympathise" button, I would click it for poor HP each time a crazy glomps onto her. I am glad the buttons are not in in Downloads, good decision, hope that will continue.

* hands HP can of spray-on crazy deterrent *

Please spay or neuter your pets. --- Cat Music Video! --- my meshes
Test Subject
#36 Old 8th May 2010 at 6:08 AM
haha! I too am a Raveler, so when I saw these buttons, I was like, YES! way to take over the internet! I have the same problem with looking for them on other websites and not finding them. :P

shweet.
Top Secret Researcher
#37 Old 9th May 2010 at 7:02 PM
I love the new post buttons! <3

Site Helper
#38 Old 16th May 2010 at 6:27 PM
It seems to do an excellent job of keeping track of which threads we have already clicked the "love" button in... I suppose it would probably slow the servers down too much if it kept track in our profile of how many times we have clicked it, though?

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
#39 Old 29th May 2010 at 4:02 PM
*is hoping for a "You're a frackin' idiot" button*

I love em all the same!
Retired
retired moderator
#40 Old 20th Jun 2010 at 8:14 PM
Any chance of reconsidering the 'funny' button in Debate? It's being abused a bit to belittle arguments, and it's leading to all kinds of offense and defensiveness that just isn't warranted. It's a very passive aggressive button in that forum, and a bit unhelpful.

The others are working fine, and I'm willing to say my initial skepticism about them was pretty unwarranted. I don't think they're causing a 'worm effect'.

Cheers!

Test Subject
#41 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 6:53 PM
These post is good and nice . Cute idea but the buttons dont seem to be working for me. When I click them, they don't do anything... or maybe I just don't know how to use them. The buttons now show bold if you have clicked one previously, or normal if you have not. Clicking a button will turn it temporarily italic.
#42 Old 23rd Jul 2010 at 2:25 AM
jhonkebn, yep, thats how they work.

I just noticed the unhelpful button in CF and I LOVE IT!
Field Researcher
#43 Old 30th Aug 2010 at 6:50 PM
Mmmh... having problems with the post buttons.
I can't see anymore the numbers near to the buttons and, if I click on "agree", "disagree" or anything else, I just see the button's name in bold font with a "( )" near to it, still not showing any number.

It started yesterday. The first time, the problem disappeared when I closed the browser and re-opened it, now it still stays, even if I use different browsers

My main browser is Mozilla:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; it; rv:1.9.2.8) Gecko/20100722 Firefox/3.6.8 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

...The other one I tried is Google Chrome, version 5.0.375.127

Anyone else with this problem?
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#44 Old 30th Aug 2010 at 7:18 PM
Should be fixed now Astraea - was a site issue

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Field Researcher
#45 Old 30th Aug 2010 at 7:56 PM
Thanks! Yep, it's fixed
Retired
retired moderator
#46 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 3:24 AM Last edited by kiwi_tea : 17th Aug 2012 at 3:37 AM.
Dredging this post up to canvas the idea of removing the "Disagree" button from Creator feedback due to stuff like this.

I'm getting "disagrees" without any constructive feedback. I'm really not sure what they're even trying to tell me. The button serves no other purpose I can see than (a) an easy way of not giving specific critical feedback (b) abusing the creator.

I'd be interested to know if other creators feel similarly? I find it really unhelpful when I get "disagrees". They come in random ones and twos, and can't even be used as a reliable gauge of how good/bad a design is. They're extremely frustrating.

Edit: My impression of Kiwi_tea in this thread - "Blahblahblah. Remove this. Blahblahblah. Remove that."

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#47 Old 18th Aug 2012 at 11:59 AM Last edited by whiterider : 18th Aug 2012 at 1:58 PM.
Well, the thing is that disagree is useful when it's clicked on actual feedback. Creator posts, say, a lot; another member posts to say "I think the fence should be green", and a bunch of people click disagree. That's useful - it tells you what several people's opinions are briefly and compactly, which is the point of the buttons. That said, there will always be the potential for meaningless use of post buttons in any context. I don't think you're missing out on any feedback, though: if the people clicking the buttons had anything meaningful to say, they would have posted it.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
#48 Old 18th Aug 2012 at 1:35 PM Last edited by EsmeraldaF : 18th Aug 2012 at 10:21 PM.
@kiwi, I know what you mean, I've noticed an influx of random 'disagree' clicks throughout Creator Feedback the past few months or so. As whiterider said, a bunch of people clicking 'disagree' to one specific post might be meaningful, but there have recently been many that are just random one-offs that are usually even irrelevant to the content of the post.

For example, in my own experiences, I've had 'disagree' clicks where I've given just standard Creator Feedback advice on how we need to see in-game closeup pics of the sim in a neutral expression along with a reference pic of the person they're trying to sim (where the creator has only supplied tiny blurry CAS pics, or similar), or in another case, there was a sim who looked good from the front but in profile her nose was Pinocchio-length (the real person's was small), so I advised the creator to shorten her nose from the side - I got TWO disagrees for that! I was baffled at first, but now I think these 'disagreers' are trolls and can safely be ignored, so don't let it bother you.

Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
I don't think you're missing out on any feedback, though: if the people clicking the buttons had anything meaningful to say, they would have posted it.

Exactly that.

ETA: Oh, I see I've now been given an 'unhelpful' for trying to help a creator decide which eyebrows to use on her sim, heh heh.
Test Subject
#49 Old 19th Aug 2012 at 11:43 AM
I love them..Thanks, thanks, thanks
Page 2 of 2