Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Apr 2014 at 4:46 AM
Apartment unit not registering
So I'm trying to recreate the Landgraab Brownstone apartments from the Sims 3, and there's 3 units in this building, but one of them isn't showing up in the lot description balloon when I click on the lot (it says "2 apartment units"). I thought this might have something to do with how I'm using staircases or something, but through trial and error this doesn't seem to be the case.

Anyone see anything wrong with these designs? The open balconies are half-walled properly.

Close up of the potentially offending staircase(?):

Advertisement
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#2 Old 10th Apr 2014 at 9:41 AM
Have you used CFE on the stairs? Apartments don't like CFE, especially with the stairs.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 10th Apr 2014 at 9:51 AM
They don't look CFE'd.

What is that door at the bottom? It could be that.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#4 Old 10th Apr 2014 at 11:13 AM Last edited by ekrubynaffit : 10th Apr 2014 at 11:27 AM.
Is that staircase in the last pic twice as long as normal?
If so I would suggest trying this:
1. Delete the staircase
2. Where the stair case started (at the top) add an invisible fence http://modthesims.info/d/179868
3. turn on move_objects on
4. add the stairs back
5. try it now

this method works when you have a foundation with stairs leading to the backyard, it may not work here because it might just cut of the front door altogether, but it also might work.
If it dosnt then its the process of elimination and we can try something else!

You may have to end up putting the door at the top of the stairs

Rome wasn't built in a day

Need help finding building items, check out my building blog https://bestbuilditems4sims2.wordpress.com/
Mad Poster
#5 Old 10th Apr 2014 at 6:04 PM
In my own experience building apartments,taller stairs have given me trouble too... my guess is, the game doesn't count the middle floor (the one the stairs just pass through without stopping) as part of the apartment, so it confuses the game into not counting that apartment at all. Have you tried putting a landing on the second floor, then continuing the stairs up from there, so you have two 1-storey stairways, instead of 1 big one?

Also, are you sure it's the third floor apartment that's the trouble? It looks like it probably is, but there could be an issue with one of the others that's just not showing up... I'd clone the lot and move a Sim in, so you can see which two doors are available for rent (and how much they are... if one of them rents for like $15 a week, there's obviously a problem there too!)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 10th Apr 2014 at 8:01 PM Last edited by MCGONN : 10th Apr 2014 at 10:52 PM.
I've messed with those long stairs a bit and I'm gonna try and test each door one by one.

Edit:

Okay so I removed all the apartment doors, and replaced all 3 one by one until the bottom apartment gave me an "invalid apartment" error. So I fiddled around and moved an archway inside, and then it stopped giving me an error, but still isn't counting the third apartment.

Y u do dis, game

Edit again:

I removed the archway (which works in every other apartment) it seems to be fixed now. What even. Well, glad that's over with.

Thanks for the help guys
Alchemist
#7 Old 11th Apr 2014 at 7:49 AM
Glad you manage to sort it

Rome wasn't built in a day

Need help finding building items, check out my building blog https://bestbuilditems4sims2.wordpress.com/