Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Sep 2012 at 4:23 PM
Default Importing\Exporting to 3ds Max
Hello,

I have been trying to get a end-table exported true the tutorial mentioned here.

And around the second part here, the exporting mesh part, im kinda lost in the file format used.

Is there a way to get this into 3Ds Max 2011 without having to use other modeling programs to convert it having the chance of messing up the mesh. Like a more direct way to export to a .obj file or other format that i can use ? An tutorial would be ace, or some pointers or hints in what direction i need to look to finish this test and move on to the real deal.

Thanks in advance for any help.

The 3D Studio Max Meshing guides: Part 1: Simple Meshing in 3D Studio Max
Iff freedom was outlawed only outlaws would have freedom.
True piracy is an art, having a Amiga tune doesn't make you the old school pirate.
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 3rd Sep 2012 at 5:09 PM
The latest version of TSRW should be updated now for a proper FBX import/export.
It also supports OBJ format
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#3 Old 3rd Sep 2012 at 5:50 PM
Blender also has FBX and 3Ds import/export.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 3rd Sep 2012 at 5:52 PM
A great time to get rolling again then
tnx a lot for the quick help.

True piracy is an art, having a Amiga tune doesn't make you the old school pirate.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th Sep 2012 at 10:27 AM
1 step progress, now im stuck on a object mesh that is imported on its side and not straight up (also some size issues it seems even tho i scaled with the exported mesh).
Feel like im inventing the wheel again to get this done, as it seems TSRW it website seems to missing a major part of its guides, i cant seem to figure out what the issue is untill some one there replys to my topic .....

So much for using a single modeling program to make a simple 40 faced end table ..... haven't even gotten around to texture baking etc yet

I recall this being a lot easier to get done in the past, now it seems even tho i only want to change a model i get slapped around with 50 other parts of info on that item that i really dint want to know about. So much for evolution hehe, time keep working on that wheel ...

Sockpuppet
#6 Old 4th Sep 2012 at 11:24 AM
Those settings you need to correct in the import/export options.(you only have to do it once)
OBJ/FBX has tons of import/export options in MAX, just have to figure out wich ones to change....
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 4th Sep 2012 at 12:15 PM Last edited by Bufu : 4th Sep 2012 at 5:19 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
Those settings you need to correct in the import/export options.(you only have to do it once)
OBJ/FBX has tons of import/export options in MAX, just have to figure out wich ones to change....

I tried OBJ as well, importing to max goes good, but exporting to the workshop fails even when using say blender settings, naming conversion is the same etc just doesn't like the 3Ds Max 2011/2010 OBJ file. Then again max doesn't seem to handle .obj very nicely in general i had issue with it in the past, was expecting a mesh with misplaced faces tho something i can fix rather easy.

Its kinda weird tho the option to make a certain axis the up-side on the FBX export in 3DsMax doesn't have any affect on the alignment in the imported mesh in the workshop .....
Also the scale, i cant seem to get it right its about 50% smaller without doing anything, while its the same size as the imported mesh that i used as a reference object. I am sure i am missing out on some option/trick, just need to sort true everything to see what it is (and there is plenty of option to try out indeed ).

*edit* Created a work around by exporting to .3DS format and rotating the mesh -90 on the X-Axis then importing to MilkShape 3D and changing the group names so i can import it else where. I have no idea what going wrong with the .fbx and .obj export, but scaling gets nuked and orientation seems of no matter what i change on the export setting for iether. Now to see if i can make it work without TSW since im in milkshape now anyways for format conversion.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 6th Sep 2012 at 5:18 PM
Got a good .OBJ workflow working now as well, am documenting those steps now for a small guide on this. Witch will be released when i manage to get a working object into a package file and then into the game. Still trying various things now to make sure i get this right, and don't mess up the process to get stuck again further down the line.

I found out that, for my TSRW exports, its the bones that im having issues with when using .FBX format, but now that i also have .OBJ i can explore both ways again incl using S3PE etc as i can get my object UV Mapped and all into MilkShape and work from there.

Sockpuppet
#9 Old 7th Sep 2012 at 8:40 AM
I never had any problems with OBJ import/export.
Just a matter of fiddling till you find the right settings.

The joints are aproblem, dont think there is a good importer(although some use smd format for CAS/animation) for MAX
You still need Milkshape or Blender if your using s3OC/s3PE
TSRW has its own bonetool
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 7th Sep 2012 at 2:33 PM Last edited by Bufu : 7th Sep 2012 at 2:47 PM. Reason: damned typo's ....
I never had any problems with OBJ import/export.
Just a matter of fiddling till you find the right settings.

Well i had a few issue in the time i used the format, mostly related to idd wrong setting, but also a few not related to that.

The joints are aproblem, dont think there is a good importer(although some use smd format for CAS/animation) for MAX
You still need Milkshape or Blender if your using s3OC/s3PE
TSRW has its own bonetool

Animations are just a step to far for me, when i saw the bones causing the problem for the .FBX export/import workflow i kinda directly gave up trying.

I'm willing to figure out more though, since 3Ds Max really is an awesome program, but dunno if ill be able to manage it. I have no clue what the import\export scripts cover for MS 3D/Blender, and that's not even covering the tools. If i can find a way to contribute to making it work properly i would no hesitate a single breath to dive in and grab it by its horns.

For now tutorials and guides, both reading an writing so people can do the same as i do atm, and enjoy a advanced modeling program to do there design in.
Maybe a fools guide to meshing for 3Ds Max ......

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 7th Sep 2012 at 4:14 PM
Topic can be closed btw, i got what i need so far, other issue need a new topic description from now, gonna try to make something work in TS 3 first to confirm i have a valid workflow.