Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st May 2009 at 7:50 PM
Default Memory Question
I ordered 2gb ram and installed them and only 1 worked. So I only have 1 gb of ram and I tried the canurunit and it says I passed. I have windows vista. Why is it passing me , will I have enough to play the game.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 31st May 2009 at 8:24 PM
hahaahhahahha
there is no memory in Sims 3!!! '=(

I don't think 1GB is enough... Isn't the minimum 2GB? What do you mean only one worked? Can't you get any help with making both work?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st May 2009 at 8:36 PM Last edited by callistra : 9th Jun 2009 at 8:49 PM. Reason: combined posts - please edit instead of multiposting
I have to slots. I originally had 512mb in. I removed that and added 2 sticks of 1gb a piece. My computer started beeping after I powered it on and the computer wouldnt start up. So I removed one stick and tested it in both slots and it worked. I tried the same thing with the other stick and it just beeped and wouldnt run. So I am guessing the stick is defective, I ordered both of them together at ecost. So I am thinking they will return it but I wont have it back before tuesday. And I cant use the 1gb with the 512mb because it just detects the 1gb, I guess they arent compatible to run together because I have dual channel and I think they are different speeds.

Oh and the min. for vista is 1.5gb.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#4 Old 31st May 2009 at 8:41 PM
Those automated programs/sites that tell you whether you can or can't run a game are notoriously unreliable. Go by your actual specs and the system requirements. You do not meet the minimums for Vista and thus it likely will not run and if it -does- run, it won't run -well-.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Instructor
#5 Old 31st May 2009 at 8:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ashmarie484
I ordered 2gb ram and installed them and only 1 worked. So I only have 1 gb of ram and I tried the canurunit and it says I passed. I have windows vista. Why is it passing me , will I have enough to play the game.

Barely enough. Textures will take a while to load if you move from one house to another or one part of the city to another. So objects will look blank white for a few seconds while the textures load using the limited memory. Also frame rate will be lower, maybe around 20 to 30 fps, depending on your other pc specs. But it is playable.

If you have more than one hard drive on your pc I'd look around the web on setting up a pagefile memory split across both hard drives.' And possibly installing Sims 3 on the hard drive that doesn't contain Vista.

Edit: To give you a feeling on pc specs, this runs Sims 3 for me on medium settings:
Athlon64 3.0 Ghz cpu
Asus K8v motherboard
1 Gb Ram ddr memory
x1950 pro 256 Gb Radeon video card
75 Gb hard drive, 200 Gb hard drive
Vista operating system
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 31st May 2009 at 9:36 PM
My specs are:

3.3ghz
1gb ddr2
Nvidia GeForce 7600GT
120gb hard drive
Vista
shiny!
retired moderator
#7 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 8:50 PM
ashmarie484, sorry to take so long to get back to you but with the exception of the RAM your system is *ok*. You'll have to tell us how the GPU performs. It should work but possibly not perfectly.

Bandon your computer doesn't meet minimum requirements. If you upgrade the RAM you may be able to play on higher settings. I would not expect the rest of your system to have problems.