Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#126 Old 11th Apr 2011 at 12:27 PM
I've managed to make a pose.(HOORAY!!!)Probably I did sth wrong during the whole procedure...If sth goes wrong I will ask providing all the necessary info this time.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#127 Old 11th Apr 2011 at 3:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
DarkSilence you type in the same name you gave the CLIP's package file. Playing short animation sequences with the Pose Player is possible although making them is a little off the topic of this tutorial. The arm will pose...what you're describing is an arm that's not performing a moving animation correctly right? Did you follow all the instructions provided at the start of the thread?

It says to delete IK chains before exporting but the grid button is greyed out.
Test Subject
#128 Old 11th Apr 2011 at 5:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
ReMs I've had a similar issue with the model hitting the floor when I click the animation button in the lower right hand corner. I ended up just removing the rig and the text from my working folder and adding them in again straight from mesher's rar a second time. That fixed my issue...give that a try.

It works, thanks ! But I've a new problem lol. I've made an animation test. In Milkshape, the skeleton rotates on himself :

but in my game, I get this result :

An idea please ?
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#129 Old 11th Apr 2011 at 6:05 PM
What's that, a self-burying corpse?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
#130 Old 11th Apr 2011 at 10:40 PM
I followed the tutorial (thank you so much by the way *w*). Everything is ok until this part :

"3. Now you can open your editor and open the am_body_4_anim.ms3d rig in it. Import your new smd. Create your pose. Save that to overwrite the new .smd that is in your working folder."

I have blender 2.56, looked for the smd_tool as it was said in one post but I still have a problem : I can't open am_body_4_anim.ms3d in Blender, since Blender doesn't recognise the file.
Can somebody please tell me how to make the smd_tool work with Blender in order to be able to open the rig ? ( Or if there is a tutorial somewhere that already exist that I would follow ?) Thks

(PS : Sorry for eventual mistakes. I'm french and my english may be a little rusty... °n°"")
Test Subject
#131 Old 11th Apr 2011 at 11:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Wawazabi
(PS : Sorry for eventual mistakes. I'm french and my english may be a little rusty... °n°"")

Je suis français aussi
Test Subject
#132 Old 12th Apr 2011 at 12:35 AM
yeah!!!! I did my first animation!!! thanks orangemittens who know how to do a looping animation??? XD
Alchemist
Original Poster
#133 Old 12th Apr 2011 at 1:18 AM
Congrats Pridevah

DarkSilence, to get the Grid to not be greyed out, you'll need to download the most current version of the S3PE helpers and wrappers. You can find links for these at Simlogical...the link for Simlogical is in the first post of this thread.

ReMs, could you describe the process you went through that resulted in the tipped animation in-game? I've successfully gotten sequence animations in game (and played them with Pose Player) cloned from the a_female_walk_short CLIP...they were not tilted in game. I didn't exceed the 26 frames it comes with and I deleted the IK chains after making the animation and converting the .smd back to a CLIP.

Wawazabi, did you download the .py that allows Blender to import .smds? I posted a link to it in this thread. If so, Cmo included instructions on how to load that into Blender in the tutorial he provided for setting up Blender to mesh for S3 with. If you can't find either post again and I'll post links.

ROTOC, currently there is no tool I know of that allows you to play looping animations in-game except for the Chaos Mage painting. Unfortunately that was not updated past the base game.
Test Subject
#134 Old 12th Apr 2011 at 4:19 AM
I have a comment, Will Pose Player have the update version? I just wanna asking because, sometime when you used pose, you must "pose a name" twice to your sims do your pose, and I have test a animation and I have to "Pose a Name" for 3 times then it worked, but with some animation to long, it's doesn't work fully, just 1/3 or 2/3 the pose

just check this new anim I have made
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvMV...player_embedded
~> Here my anim in MS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsAL...player_embedded
~> My anim in The Sims 3
Alchemist
Original Poster
#135 Old 12th Apr 2011 at 4:51 AM Last edited by orangemittens : 12th Apr 2011 at 5:02 AM.
Memory Moon this is a tutorial for the Pose Player. What you've shown are not poses but animations. If your animations won't play it isn't the fault of the tool since it was made to play poses not animations.

ETA: Also, if you read through the thread and follow the directions this may correct the issue your animation has. The player is able to play short anims like the one you showed if you make the CLIP correctly.
Test Subject
#136 Old 12th Apr 2011 at 6:01 AM
Oh thank you, but I mean that I didn't mention about the anim won't play (actually it played), but it didn't play fully the anim I guest 2/3 the anim
And I just said to let you know not mean about why It didn't play ^^!
Thank you again!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#137 Old 12th Apr 2011 at 11:04 AM
MM I'm well aware that the Pose Player was not designed to play long animation sequences...that concept is summed up in the name of the object seeing as how the word *pose* is typically used to describe one frame anims.

Given that the Pose Player was designed to play poses, ie. 1 frame CLIPs, it's unclear to me why you're now complaining that it won't play long animation sequences and requesting that it be updated. It's equally unclear why you've chosen this tutorial thread as the place to do it.
Test Subject
#138 Old 12th Apr 2011 at 8:32 PM
Oookay... Still don't work.
I downloaded the io_smd_tool.py
In Blender, File > UserPreference > Import / Export > Add-on > click on Install Add-on. The I choose my io_smd_file, install. That's ok. But I can't see anywhere the smd tool box that I have to check. And when I try to install io_smd_tool again, blender finds that it's already installed...
Since I can't check this box, I guess that I can't open smd files and so on... I'm doomed ...
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#139 Old 12th Apr 2011 at 8:57 PM
After you install the addon, you look in File > UserPreference > Import / Export > Add-on > and click on Import-Export on the left. Then scroll down until you find the SMD tools and check the box next to it.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Test Subject
#140 Old 12th Apr 2011 at 9:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cmomoney
After you install the addon, you look in File > UserPreference > Import / Export > Add-on > and click on Import-Export on the left. Then scroll down until you find the SMD tools and check the box next to it.

We, I did all as you said, but I can't see the smd tool (doesn't appear).
I looked somewhere else, it seems that I'm not the only one with this problem :
http://forums.steampowered.com/foru...1536668&page=19

I will try to uninstall and reinstall Blender properly and see if it works with the other smd tool (and hope that it will work)
Test Subject
#141 Old 13th Apr 2011 at 5:55 PM
I'm going to give up on Blender 2.56, it's not working for me. At least with 2.49 I was able to show my model, I just couldn't do the import halflife. Think I"ll just wait to buy Milkshape
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#142 Old 13th Apr 2011 at 6:21 PM
I'm doing a tutorial for Blender (as this is a tutorial for Milkshape), but it will be in 2.57, since it is out of beta and stable.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Test Subject
#143 Old 13th Apr 2011 at 8:16 PM
That would be totally awesome ! I'll wait for it, thk you so much !
Test Subject
#144 Old 13th Apr 2011 at 10:46 PM
I have a problem. My pose doesn't appear when I put it! : / Maybe because I messed arround in some "skirt-something" joints??

Also (and I'm 50% sure this has nothing to do with only my animation) my game crashes when I play an animation, even if it is one of the game's. I mean, it plays the pose but after that (when it was supposed to stop) the game CTDs. I don't know what to do!! :' ( It also crashes some other times, when I try to play with my sims, and it used to crash with the fishbowl window from LN. Could that be related? (So sorry to be talking about crashes here, but it might have something to do with the Pose Player since I had far fewer crashes before it... :S)

Thanks so much!!
And besides that, I feel like I must congratulate cmomoney for this AWSOME achievement!! ; )
Alchemist
Original Poster
#145 Old 13th Apr 2011 at 11:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Danyyel
I have a problem. My pose doesn't appear when I put it! : / Maybe because I messed arround in some "skirt-something" joints??

Also (and I'm 50% sure this has nothing to do with only my animation) my game crashes when I play an animation, even if it is one of the game's. I mean, it plays the pose but after that (when it was supposed to stop) the game CTDs. I don't know what to do!! :' ( It also crashes some other times, when I try to play with my sims, and it used to crash with the fishbowl window from LN. Could that be related? (So sorry to be talking about crashes here, but it might have something to do with the Pose Player since I had far fewer crashes before it... :S)

Thanks so much!!
And besides that, I feel like I must congratulate cmomoney for this AWSOME achievement!! ; )
Danyyel, in this context, I have no idea what you mean by "messed around in some skirt-something joints". I'm not sure what you were up to but it doesn't sound like an activity I described in this tutorial. I suggest you go back through it and do it following the steps as written.

As far as your game crashing issue goes I don't think your issue is the pose player from your description. It sounds like you've been having issues with crashing before so there's something else going on with your game. For issues like that the Help area is prolly the best resource for answers.
Test Subject
#146 Old 14th Apr 2011 at 11:12 AM
wow, thanks a ton orangemittens!! :D

The skirt things I mentioned were bones in milkshape, when making the pose. There are 2/3 Joints in the mesh that aren't assigned to anything, and their names are skirt-this and skirt-that... :S I don't know if I'm making myself clear..... I'll try to take a pic as soon as possible! (But probably not today, since I have a lot to do! :S)

I'll try making it all over again without touching those joints and will report later! Thanks!!
Test Subject
#147 Old 14th Apr 2011 at 11:17 PM
Great I'll be waiting on your tutorial Orangemittens. Thanks for taking the time to write it up for us.
Lab Assistant
#148 Old 16th Apr 2011 at 5:58 AM Last edited by Madam Doofie : 16th Apr 2011 at 6:42 AM.
Thanks so much for this awesome tutorial I've been working with it most of today and I've made my first poses ♥ Thank you!!

ETA: Alright, I'll bite and ask... Back there on the thread somewhere, there was a discussion about modelling together and it was said that you export as a .obj file, then import as one to model against. How do you delete that imported .obj once you're done, so it doesn't export with the rest? >.< I can't work it out.

"Whatcha doin'?"
"Probing your mind."
"Kinda roomy, innit?"
Alchemist
Original Poster
#149 Old 16th Apr 2011 at 3:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Madam Doofie
ETA: Alright, I'll bite and ask... Back there on the thread somewhere, there was a discussion about modelling together and it was said that you export as a .obj file, then import as one to model against. How do you delete that imported .obj once you're done, so it doesn't export with the rest? >.< I can't work it out.
To delete the obj click on the Groups tab in the upper right hand corner of MS. There will be a list there which includes the parts of your model (which you don't want to delete) and the group(s) that represent your obj. Left mouse click on the group you want to delete and then click the Delete button. If you accidentally delete a group you didn't want to delete you can click the Edit button in upper left hand corner and choose Undo: Delete Selection.
Field Researcher
#150 Old 16th Apr 2011 at 4:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Danyyel
The skirt things I mentioned were bones in milkshape, when making the pose. There are 2/3 Joints in the mesh that aren't assigned to anything, and their names are skirt-this and skirt-that.
I haven't tried it to be sure, but my guess would be that some of the longer skirts or dresses have verticies linked to those bones and you can adjust them to make the skirt "flow" more realistically as the sim walks or whatever. Instead of being tied just to the leg bones, those extra joints might give you a bit more control to smooth out the animation of the fabric.

Before I forget, thanks very much for the tut OrangeMittens! It was very clear, and let me create some poses even though I've never done this sort of thing before.
Page 6 of 58