Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Nov 2010 at 6:00 AM
Default Is Late Night Much More CPU Intensive?
I've been playing Late Night since the day it released and I've been noticing (as my sim's apartment got larger with more lights and furniture) that the expansion pack, or at least Bridgeport, has rendered my game almost unplayable. Granted, I have a six-year-old computer system with a single-core Pentium 4 @ 3.4Ghz, but I was playing all the other expansions just fine on medium-to-low settings before Late Night.

So, I was wondering, has anyone else noticed their game is running a little chuggier since installing Late Night? Any crashes? I've been saving up for a new machine, but I'm not made of money right now. Is Bridgeport the issue, or is the same CPU-intensiveness happening across the board?
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 8th Nov 2010 at 7:27 AM
It's a bit more intensive, but it also has some bugs that mean certain things like cars can get stuck and make things progressively worse and worse. Usage of Twallan's Overwatch mod (which removes those stuck cars) has helped a LOT of people.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Nov 2010 at 8:09 AM
I actually installed the Overwatch Mod which was what many suggested in another thread. And since then, I've still been having my sims *float* in mid-walk animation whenever I've got the speed set too high (aka above normal speed). The game is so choppy now it's insane. It's never been like this before. My game has even crashed with little to no explanation more than once now. I'm starting to think I should just stop playing all together. At least until I get a new machine.
retired moderator
#4 Old 8th Nov 2010 at 8:17 AM
Well, I definitely haven't had those problems with Overwatch, and if folks in the Overwatch thread over on Twallan's site aren't reporting it (I'd check, but I'm lazy), I'd say it's not an Overwatch issue - sounds like you're having pretty severe issues. Probably time to post in Help and see if there are some other suggestions for things to try.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Nov 2010 at 8:23 AM
It may be that my game is just too buggy to fix. Perhaps if I started a new game now that the Overwatch mod is installed, my gameplay won't be so choppy?

EDIT: I know the forum rules and I wasn't intending to make this thread a help thread, just a discussion of issues that people might share with me. So, I apologize.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 8th Nov 2010 at 8:28 AM
If anything, it's been better for me, I can leave F@H on while I play without any real slow down, the limit and stuttering for me all comes down to the Hard Drive being slow. (Need an SSD)

My specs:
Phenom II x4 overclocked crazy high (3.8Ghz, 2.6Ghz CPU/NB)
4Gb G.Skill DDR2-800 at 4-4-4-10 1T timings (i.e. Crazy fast)
MSI GeForce GTX 275 TwinFrozr OC
Samsung Spinpoint F1 500GB
retired moderator
#7 Old 8th Nov 2010 at 8:39 AM
tbh, most of the "my game is running slow" threads turn into Help threads - with people posting "gosh I'm having the same problem, doesn't anyone know a fix???" - it really is best to go ahead and post in Help so you can get some specific suggestions without all the pile-on silliness.

Test Subject
#8 Old 8th Nov 2010 at 8:36 AM
My game runs smoothly when there aren't any routing errors (which freeze my game permanently or make people invisible or whatnot if a bad one happens). Apparently, there are a ton of routing errors happening in my Bridgeport.

But aside from a ridiculous routing error, the game's smooth. Then again, I'm on a higher end rig.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 8th Nov 2010 at 8:54 AM
[QUOTE=DownWind]My game runs smoothly when there aren't any routing errors (which freeze my game permanently or make people invisible or whatnot if a bad one happens). Apparently, there are a ton of routing errors happening in my Bridgeport.[QUOTE]

I've also ran into this problem many times, especially now in Bridgeport. It got to the point where every 30 minutes sim time, the game would stall for about 5 seconds. That was until I used the fixall and resetworld options in AM, but still I occasionally get the cursed "never ending freeze." Whether it is really due to pathing problems is something I haven't entirely figured out, but from the research I've done it does seem to be the number one explanation.

Anyway, to answer the OP, I do indeed find the game to be a little more laggy and choppy in Bridgeport, and less so in the other towns. So you're not alone.
Test Subject
#10 Old 8th Nov 2010 at 9:13 AM
Well, I guess I'm not alone in having the routing error of doom thing. I was reading that up at MATY and I wasn't sure if it was a big issue seeing that there hasn't been a thread on it here. What makes no sense is how my Sims go invisible when it's some townie or whatnot's routing error that causes that invisibility and eventually, the never-ending freeze. The funny thing is that I see all of the kids/teens standing idly outside the school. They aren't even fazed by a (debugged) meteor (all for the sake of testing!) that lands two feet away from the edge of the cluster of Sims. It takes a resetlot command or a direct impact which involves death or something to get them going...

So yes, I'd say the game is more CPU intensive when the game hits a loop where the game can't figure out what to do. That, and for those with computers that aren't filled with top of the line hardware.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 8th Nov 2010 at 9:14 AM Last edited by Shimrod101 : 8th Nov 2010 at 9:17 AM. Reason: edited for clarity
Intended for OP:
Game definitely runs chuggier on my lower-end rig with this EP, this is in a new Sunset Valley game also, not just Bridgeport. No crashes for me, though. I would actually suggest using a small CaW world as there will be fewer sims, less of everything for your comp to chomp upon.

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Forum Resident
#12 Old 8th Nov 2010 at 9:21 AM
I actually just replaced my motherboard, processor and RAM and went from XP to Windows 7 and I've noticed Bridgeport doesn't run very smoothly on my PC. It's still playable, but the random pauses and lag get annoying after awhile. I think Bridgeport is just too buggy. I'm probably going to go back and play either Riverview or Sunset Valley until there's a LN patch to fix the issues with it.

Just for reference, here are my specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64
ASUS M4A78T-E Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X6 1075T ~3.0GHz
8GB DDR3 Corsair RAM
XFX Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS
2 Western Digital 500 GB hard drives
Instructor
#13 Old 8th Nov 2010 at 5:02 PM
I think the game engine itself does not run Bridgeport very well.

I installed Relativity and slowed down the clock to 15 and it seems the game is doing a better job at streaming textures, there is still pop up but the car journey is no longer white building and LOD4 for its entire duration.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 9th Nov 2010 at 1:13 AM
Yes my game is pretty much unplayable it just starts freezing and I know my machine is MORE than capable of playing sims and its expansions but it seems the more I play this expansion the more it slows down and freezes. They started very small like a couple of seconds now they run into minutes, I've tried over watch removing sims, lowering the graphics nothing works but I'm hoping if I move my sims out into the suburbs of Bridgeport than it might not freeze so much.
retired moderator
#15 Old 9th Nov 2010 at 7:52 AM
Guys, if you're having problems with your game, please try Game Help:Sims 3 Game Problemwiki first, and try installing Twallan's Overwatch. If you continue to have problems, please post in the Help section. While Bridgeport is more complex than previous neighborhoods and may require a bit stronger computer to run, it's not impossible - if you're finding it impossible, something's wrong.

Locked thread | Locked by: HystericalParoxysm Reason: Referred to Help.