Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Apr 2010 at 4:23 PM
Question about polygons acount
I have a question.
what or who says that amount of vertex and faces must have an object? There is a rule. or is it the criterion of who reviews an object.
I did a set and want to know if the meshes are correct.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 11th Apr 2010 at 4:39 PM
See http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...elp:Poly_Counts as a start. This is TS2 I think, but still a good start.

I also did a search and found quite a bit ont he site:
http://www.google.com/custom?domain...gon+count&sa=Go
Alchemist
#3 Old 11th Apr 2010 at 4:37 PM
Do you mean for posting an item here at MTS to share or just in general?

I've never seen a rule here about the number of faces/vertices an item has. On the other hand, I think that there is a general effort to keep objects within a certain level of playability so that people who download things here can be assured of a baseline functionality of an object that comes from here. That said, I'm not a moderator here so I don't know that for certain...it's just my overall impression.

While I don't think there is anything wrong with your set per se, it might also be the case that some players may find some of the objects in it to be very high poly in comparison to a comparable EA item. I don't know how others do it but I tend to look at the EA item I've cloned and use that as my guide for how many faces/vertices I should limit myself to when creating my new mesh. At the most, I would find the highest poly EA item of the kind I'm trying to make and exceed that poly count by no more than a small amount.

Your set is adorable but some players, especially those with less than optimal systems, might experience a slowdown if they put the whole set into their game at one time. If I were determined to share it, I would at least do so with a warning that some of the objects are high poly so that downloaders could consider that when placing these items in their game.

I hope that helps and that you don't think I'm trying to be harsh about the polys issue.

eta: I just saw your post Ceixari...who knew? Thanks for all the good links. This is most helpful
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#4 Old 11th Apr 2010 at 5:15 PM
I don't think we have a specific limit because it varies so much depending on the individual object and how it's made and its function - if we say 2000 per tile is the limit, then someone could make a 1750 poly cube and claim it was under the limit. Or make a 2025 poly amazing statue that would be fine cos it'd be unlikely to be used very much.

Objects are reviewed by moderators who are experienced in creating objects, and they do look at each object based on its poly count vs. number of tiles, how often it'll be used (dining chairs should be lower than cars or unique looking statues, for example) and its overall shape and roughly what the poly count should be for such a shape.

If you're wondering about whether a particular item you're working on will be an acceptable poly count, easiest would be to post up in Creator Issues showing a wireframe picture of the object with its poly count and we can tell you on an individual item basis.

But usually if you use your best judgement it'll probably be fine.

Edit: I didn't actually see your pics - oops.

It looks to me like the frame parts on those are way smoother around than they need to be - and actually, with the very angular tabletops/chair seats and backs, I think it'd look better if they were less detailed and more faceted. Something like a dining chair really should be as low as possible - I'd hesitate to download something fairly "plain" like this for over 1000 polys for a dining chair. I think if you reduce the detail on the white leg bits, it'll help your count immensely - and the overall look too.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Apr 2010 at 5:23 PM
thanks for responding.
I ask because I have rejected a set for this reason.
I ask if there is a rule that says a chair must have x number of vertices and faces to be good (for example)
but each object is different and can not be equal.
I download what I like and never see the polygon acount and my game works perfect.
I see the links and look if there is a rule "polygons acount"
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 11th Apr 2010 at 5:33 PM
I prefer talking of needed and wasted segments (≈polygons) in regards for meshing for a game. If you keep this in mind, you'll end up in the polygon range of EA meshes.

The issue on your meshes is, that the light grey parts do have too many rotation segments (for creating the circle shape), whereas the height segments are as they should be (for creating the bent shape).

Also remember that you need to include an even more lowpoly mesh in your objects otherwise people with weaker machines will have performance problems with it.

Minisite

TSR Workshop
A Custom Content Tool for The Sims 3
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 11th Apr 2010 at 7:05 PM
I think if we take acount polygon based on EA objects
can only be ugly objects as they do, and we just have decorated boxes in the game.
I want to do something good but I see that I lack much knowledge
I don't know really how to make a low mesh