Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Apr 2010 at 12:29 PM Last edited by sims_reality : 3rd Apr 2010 at 6:36 PM.
Default Custom Objects not appearing in game
I've made few custom object, and when I test them in game, some objects appears fine, but some of them are not... I don't mean invisible objects. What I mean is that some of my custom objects won't appear under any of buy/build mode categories... Does anybody know how to fix this??? Is it possible that objects that does appear in game are overriding the other objects???
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 3rd Apr 2010 at 2:35 PM
How are you creating the objects? Which programs?

If you originally create it in TSRW and then makes changes to it in S3PE it doesn't show in the catalog anymore. Also, if you created it in S3OC and then change catalog values in s3pe, they also don't always show up. Objects can overwrite other objects if you do not renumber it in s3oc, I think TSRW renumbers automatically.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Apr 2010 at 6:35 PM Last edited by sims_reality : 3rd Apr 2010 at 6:50 PM.
Oh...I've used sim3PE and TSRW together... so that must be why the objects are refusing to be shown in game...thanks for answering :D

edit: Oops... almost forgot to mention... few of my objects were made by only TSRW...and they are not appearing in game...I was making modern looking lights, and to make it make it more interesting, I simply resized the mesh and made different versions...and they were all cloned from the same light. Could this be why??

P.S You said if you make an object with TSRW and edit it in sim3PE, the object won't appear in game..is there any way to fix this?? I mean, TSRW is sometimes rather limited...it's sad that we can't edit it in sim3PE....and sorry for asking too many questions at once.
Alchemist
#4 Old 4th Apr 2010 at 1:05 PM
S3OC automatically renumbers when you make a clone. This is the default setting it has. Unless someone chose to change the default setting S3OC has there shouldn't be any overwriting of the EA object it was cloned from and there should be no need to renumber.

sims_reality I've not used TSRW but the things you mention about it seem to be a sort of consensus opinion from people I've talked with about it. It's great for making certain things...but if you want to go off the beaten path a little you need to edit in ways that it may not be able to manage. At this point it seems like if you know ahead of time that you want special features for your new item that TSRW isn't gonna be able to do then you're better off just making the item with the tool-set here to begin with.

It's unfortunate that items made with TSRW have this problem because it would make things a lot more flexible for meshers if they could switch back and forth between the two tool systems when making a given object.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#5 Old 4th Apr 2010 at 1:41 PM
What tends to work better is if you originally make the new object in S3OC (using renumbering) and do the work on it you need to use S3PE for. THEN start a new project in TSRW using the imported package as the basis of the project. That is the easiest way to set up the textures. TSRWs main weakness in all this is the exported packages, so s3pi first is the better way round.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Alchemist
#6 Old 4th Apr 2010 at 2:07 PM
That makes sense but it makes me wonder two things. First, s3pi gives you .packages...is TSRW capable of importing those or do you have to go through some intermediate step where you convert your .package to the TSRW format?

Second, whether you have to go through the intermediate step or not, why bother? Once you've got your clone and edited it, it seems the tough part is over...just pop your mesh in the place of the EA clone, overwrite your IMG's and you're done. What feature of TSRW makes it desirable to go through the extra steps of bringing your item into another tool and making the mesh/IMG changes to it there?

I'm not asking to be snarky...it's just that I haven't used TSRW so I'm wondering what would make someone go to that kind of bother just to finish the object with that tool instead of sticking with the one they already have the object open in.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#7 Old 4th Apr 2010 at 2:20 PM
Because it's easier seeing the effect of the textures you assign in TSRW's visual interface and becaise sims3pack objects are included in any lot containing them if it is shared.

TSRW does directly import packages as a base to a project. No fiddling about required. Just do what you *have* to use S3PE for (like assigning an object to a different scriptclass) then take it into TRSW for the graphical edits.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Alchemist
#8 Old 4th Apr 2010 at 2:46 PM
Thank you for the answer. I guess the first feature isn't much of a big deal once you get the hang of meshing S3...you can intuit how things will texture out in-game from your TCE preview in MS + knowing how you have it set up to tile. But the second feature is a nice one...especially for people creating decorated homes to share.

It's funny, in Sims 1 custom content had to be specifically shared in order to get it to show up and some people complained about that. Then in S2 things just got sucked up when you packaged a house and some people complained about that. It pretty much seems no matter which way things are *someone's* not gonna be happy about it...lol. OT I know, I know...I'll stop now