Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Apr 2010 at 6:15 AM
Default How can I make a Completely new car mesh?
Im wondering how i can make a brand new car mesh... For example: FreshPrince's car creations. They are amazing cars and I would love to have a crack at making my own. I have experience with the sims3 utilities and im getting better with milkshape. I Just have no clue as where to start to make a brand new car model...

If there are info or tutorials for this I would greatly appreciate if you could post the links.
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 23rd Apr 2010 at 12:50 AM Last edited by Base1980 : 23rd Apr 2010 at 1:10 AM.
FP isn't really creating the cars himself.
The 3d models he used you can find all over the net.(the good ones costs money tho)

Creating a 3d model from scratch is very difficult.
Most are based on the original factory blue prints.

Here you find some info on how to get started:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=373368
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Apr 2010 at 5:18 AM
Thx Base1980. Ive got my new model in game but im having problems UV Mapping so I can actually get the right texture on the car...

Theres obviously something wrong with my mesh somewhere as you can see in the bottom pic. As i said with UV Mapping, the top pic is what keeps happening to me.

Note: the bottom pic has the Bwan texture on it at the moment because I cant figure out the UV...

Any pointers anyone?

Heres all I can come up with so far:

Field Researcher
#4 Old 23rd Apr 2010 at 7:57 AM
How are you doing the UV mapping? It looks like all the parts are lying on top of each other.
Sockpuppet
#5 Old 23rd Apr 2010 at 1:42 PM
I haven't had time to look into making a car mesh, so i dont know if it has multiple meshgroups or just one.
But the meshgroups(like the glass and body) need to be seperate and use diffrent texture files.
If not, then you need to move the parts so they dont interfear with eachother.
Its probably a combination of the two.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 23rd Apr 2010 at 2:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ceixari
How are you doing the UV mapping? It looks like all the parts are lying on top of each other.

Im using the UV Mapper Classic and just loading the .obj file. It does look like they all are on top of eachother to me as well. just cant figure out how to get them done correctly yet.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 23rd Apr 2010 at 2:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Base1980
I haven't had time to look into making a car mesh, so i dont know if it has multiple meshgroups or just one.
But the meshgroups(like the glass and body) need to be seperate and use diffrent texture files.
If not, then you need to move the parts so they dont interfear with eachother.
Its probably a combination of the two.

It is multiple mesh groups and I didnt really combine them in any specific way so im sure I did mix up windows, tires, body, etc... Ill have to rework it. Thx for the tip
Sockpuppet
#8 Old 23rd Apr 2010 at 5:54 PM
yup, prolly the same as with sims 2, you need to regroup the glass, shiny parts(chrome) and prolly the interior and body as seperate meshgroups.
Alchemist
#9 Old 23rd Apr 2010 at 8:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BlakHawk02
Im using the UV Mapper Classic and just loading the .obj file. It does look like they all are on top of eachother to me as well. just cant figure out how to get them done correctly yet.

Export the groups one at a time into UV Mapper. Glass is a different material from the metal body, the tires are usually a different material also.

Reimport them one group at a time. Note that in MilkShape you may choose to import only the UVs from an .obj file, that is the best way to go.

The object (MODL/MLOD) recompile function needs to have the groups IN THE SAME ORDER they were in the original car mesh, or they will not map to the proper materials.

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Sockpuppet
#10 Old 23rd Apr 2010 at 10:20 PM
There was a thread with alot of info, but i suspect the guy who made it deleted it(how sad...)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 24th Apr 2010 at 12:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by WesHowe
Export the groups one at a time into UV Mapper. Glass is a different material from the metal body, the tires are usually a different material also.

Reimport them one group at a time. Note that in MilkShape you may choose to import only the UVs from an .obj file, that is the best way to go.

The object (MODL/MLOD) recompile function needs to have the groups IN THE SAME ORDER they were in the original car mesh, or they will not map to the proper materials.

Thats my problem there. I loaded all the groups into the UV mapper at once. I guess once I get time to actually sit down and work through all the groups Ill try and get this fixed. Cant wait to see if i can get this thing to work tho.

Thank you all very much for your info and tips!