Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Feb 2015 at 2:12 PM
Default Ghosts keep colour when graves are moved?
Hello, I don't know if this exists or not, but does anyone know of a mod which will allow ghosts to keep their correct colour when they are moved to a community lot please?

Thanks
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 10th Feb 2015 at 4:55 PM
You can use ChristianLove's Ghost Tomb to change them back.

Yes, there is something but I've forgotten what it is.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Feb 2015 at 1:41 PM
Oh thanks, I'll have a look.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 12th Feb 2015 at 10:06 PM
Isn't that why we're supposed to put them in inventory and have the sim take them there, rather than using the move to function?

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Undead Molten Llama
#5 Old 13th Feb 2015 at 12:30 AM
Yes, I use a "gravekeeper" for the purpose of retaining ghost colors. (Basically, an "NPC" that I create but never play, whose sole purpose is to own the community lot graveyard and transport graves in his/her inventory from the residential lots to the cemetery. (Using an "NPC" means that I won't accidentally let a Sim with graves in their inventory die, which would corrupt the neighborhood if it should happen.) That way, ghost colors are retained rather than all ghosts being white, as will happen if you use the "Move This Grave" function.

It's good to know that there's a way to restore colors if they're lost, though. Thing is, I don't often remember what the color should be...

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 13th Feb 2015 at 2:00 AM
I was going to say, I've never had an issue where the ghost loses it's colour, but then I always move them by inventory.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 13th Feb 2015 at 5:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
Yes, I use a "gravekeeper" for the purpose of retaining ghost colors. (Basically, an "NPC" that I create but never play, whose sole purpose is to own the community lot graveyard and transport graves in his/her inventory from the residential lots to the cemetery. (Using an "NPC" means that I won't accidentally let a Sim with graves in their inventory die, which would corrupt the neighborhood if it should happen.) That way, ghost colors are retained rather than all ghosts being white, as will happen if you use the "Move This Grave" function.

It's good to know that there's a way to restore colors if they're lost, though. Thing is, I don't often remember what the color should be...

I'd like to know your process. Do you make it a residential lot, summon that sim, make them selectable, put it in their inventory and send them back? How do you go about it?

Having a dedicated Gravekeeper sounds kickass.

Not-so-daily TS2 downloads @ my simblr.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 13th Feb 2015 at 5:48 AM
Mine is an owned community lot and the undertaker owns it. If a sim dies the family either ask him over or I teleport him in, put the grave into his inventory have a little chat to represent the official dealings and send him away. Because having graves in inventory corrupts if the sim carrying them should die, I always load him up right away and have him go to the cemetery and place the grave stone. being an owned community lot makes a fun place to go at night for knowledge sims, less fun for others. I don't have this in my new hood yet as no one has died and no one is old.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 13th Feb 2015 at 5:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Mine is an owned community lot and the undertaker owns it. If a sim dies the family either ask him over or I teleport him in, put the grave into his inventory have a little chat to represent the official dealings and send him away. Because having graves in inventory corrupts if the sim carrying them should die, I always load him up right away and have him go to the cemetery and place the grave stone. being an owned community lot makes a fun place to go at night for knowledge sims, less fun for others. I don't have this in my new hood yet as no one has died and no one is old.

I'm so going to do this. Thanks a bunch for the help, Jo! (you're always so helpful, wish I could shove cookies at you through my screen)

I wasn't sure you could give items to sims you summon, learning something new every day.

Undead Molten Llama
#10 Old 13th Feb 2015 at 5:59 AM
It's pretty simple, really. Goes like this:

1) Create a gravekeeper in CAS, move them into an empty residential lot with a phone, and load them up with money.

2) Build/place community-lot cemetery and then have the gravekeeper use the phone you gave them to purchase it. (Obviously, this requires OFB.)

3) When a Sim dies on a residential lot, I leave the grave on the lot until the ghost generates so that the ghost will subsequently haunt the community lot cemetery that the grave will be moved to. It usually takes about three days. (If you don't wait for this, the ghost will never generate on the community cemetery lot...which would be OK, of course, if you're uninterested in having a haunted lot.)

4) Once the ghost generates, I use the Sim Blender to summon the gravekeeper to the residential lot and then make them selectable also using the Sim Blender. Then, stick the grave in their inventory. Then, "delete" the gravekeeper from the lot using "move objects." (You don't have to use Sim Blender, specifically. Any modded object that allows you to summon/teleport a Sim to a lot will do. There are lots of them.)

5) Load up the gravekeeper's home lot, send them to the cemetery, and have them place the grave(s) in their inventory on the lot. Since it's an owned lot, it will be saved when you send the gravekeeper back to their home lot. Thus, your graves are on a community lot. And, if you've let the ghosts generate, you have a place for Sims to go when they have a want to see a ghost. AND, since you didn't use the in-game "Move Grave" function, all of the ghosts will retain their colors.

Annnnd, as usual, I get ninja'd by Jo.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 13th Feb 2015 at 6:02 AM
Yes, but your post spelled out steps I forgot to mention, such as those 3 days, very important step that one.

*munches cookies* Offers one to iCad.

~Call me Jo~
Undead Molten Llama
#12 Old 13th Feb 2015 at 6:14 AM
Mmmmm, cooooooookiiiiiiie! Hey, are these special cookies?

Yes, the three-day wait is definitely important if one wants a haunted graveyard. I should also mention that if the player wants their Sim to see ghosts on said haunted lot, they need to get the ghosthunter to the lot before the time that ghosts spawn on lots, which I think is 8PM. Possibly 9, but I think it's 8. Anyway, I get mine there around 7:30 and then ghosts start popping up shortly thereafter. Whereas, if I get there later, no ghosts show at all. So, there's that, too.

Forum Resident
#13 Old 13th Feb 2015 at 6:18 AM
So glad I saw this, I knew about waiting to let the ghost generate before moving the grave for a haunted cemetery, but didn't know I had to use the inventory method of moving it to keep the colors. Thanks for the info!
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 13th Feb 2015 at 6:25 AM
I didn't know about the ghost bit, to be honest! Thanks so much @iCad for the thorough info! And thank you, too, Jo.

They can be special cookies if you want them to be. *nudge nudge*

Okay I already set up a few sims across some of my hoods as gravekeepers and had them buy empty lots for now. Is it sad that I'm so fracking excited to have a dedicated gravekeeper in my hoods? Such a cool idea. >3< I was just leaving the urns / tombs in the lots until I got ready to build a dedicated lot and move the stones but this is a way better option.

Undead Molten Llama
#15 Old 13th Feb 2015 at 6:41 AM
Special cookies are the best kind.

To be honest, the cemeteries (Because I usually end up with more than one as the neighborhood ages) in my neighborhoods are some of my favorite lots. It's kind of macabre, I guess, but I like building/decorating them. In those older neighborhoods, I tend to end up with a separate cemetery for each family and there'll be a mausoleum for the urns of the richer members of that family. I also get a kick out of sending Sims to visit them, seeing the ghosts and watching them reenact their deaths and thinking, "Oh yeah, there's that one who died of plague five generations ago." Call me weird, but I think it adds a real sense of continuity to the neighborhood. I'll also tend to have Sims buy flowers from the (owned) flower store in the neighborhood, then have them give them to the gravekeeper for placement on their loved one's graves. (If I have them do it themselves, it doesn't save, alas. ) So...Well, I'm kind of into the whole thing and, really, it wouldn't work as well or be as fun without a grave-transporting gravekeeper, so I don't think it's sad to be excited about using one at all. Or at least, if it IS sad, then you can take comfort in the knowledge that I'm sad, too.

Mad Poster
#16 Old 13th Feb 2015 at 12:02 PM
Everyone knows you're the supplier of the special cookies now. They will never be happy with plain cookies again. XD

I didn't know using inventory kept the ghost colours either. I always thought graves corrupted if put in inventory, so I used the move graves method.
Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 13th Feb 2015 at 4:25 PM
Ohh, yes. Funnily enough my friends used to call me a Girl Scout (despite never being a girl scout). And now I'm peddling special cookies.

What has my life come to?

I was like, deathly afraid of giving non-family sims inventory items since EA borks everything.

Scholar
Original Poster
#18 Old 13th Feb 2015 at 4:33 PM
Hiya everyone, thanks for the ideas.

iCad-Would the inventory method work if I don't have OFB? So if a sim died, could I put the grave into another member of the household's inventory, send them to the graveyard, put the grave down? This is where I get stuck, because I thought that I cannot save anything that happens in live mode on a community lot?

If not, I will try the ghost tomb hack.

Also, I always wait for the ghost to spawn before moving them, but when I send my Knowledge sims to the graveyard, they never see any ghosts (I don't see any either). Does it take a certain length of time? I must have at least 40 graves there.

Thanks
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#19 Old 13th Feb 2015 at 5:27 PM Last edited by maxon : 13th Feb 2015 at 10:19 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Dizzy-noodles
Hiya everyone, thanks for the ideas.

iCad-Would the inventory method work if I don't have OFB? So if a sim died, could I put the grave into another member of the household's inventory, send them to the graveyard, put the grave down? This is where I get stuck, because I thought that I cannot save anything that happens in live mode on a community lot?

Also, I always wait for the ghost to spawn before moving them, but when I send my Knowledge sims to the graveyard, they never see any ghosts (I don't see any either). Does it take a certain length of time? I must have at least 40 graves there.

With the deposit on a community lot thing, the game will not save a community lot in live mode, as you correctly point out, but taking a sim there with a gravestone and depositing it invokes the same 'move' code as sending it there manually - I'm not sure whether there is the same problem with the colour but I don't think so. Anyway, you need to go back to the lot later in build mode and then you should find the gravestone by the phone and can put it in place.

Re: spawning. Ages ago, Cyjon posted a reply to something I said about ghosts. He described the alogorhythm that controls it. TBH, I've forgotten the details but the time taken to spawn varies according to a calculation taking in some degree of randomness. They can spawn from a few hours after death up to several days. The ghost walking algorhythm has a similar random component. They will only spawn at night anyway and sometimes you have to hang around for quite a while for them to appear. Sometimes they won't. Basically, you need to let time pass (at night) and there's a random chance it won't happen.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Undead Molten Llama
#20 Old 14th Feb 2015 at 12:07 AM
@siletka
Hey, where I live (Colorado) special cookies are entirely legal, and I bake them (and brownies) myself. Well, except that I'm not there right now. Now I'm in backwards California. I did bring a supply of brownies with me, however! :D

Anyway, it's perfectly OK to put tombstones/urns (and anything else) in inventory, but in the case of tombstones/urns, you have to be careful not to let anyone who has them in their inventory die. Because then the graves go poof! and your neighborhood gets corrupted. That's why I use an "NPC" gravekeeper. That way, if I don't get around to placing graves in a timely manner they can safely carry them around without fear of them dying.

@Dizzy-noodles
As maxon said, it will work in the sense that you can do it. I believe you send a Sim with graves in their inventory to a community lot and if you click on the ground I think there's a "Place Grave Here" option or something like that. I think. It's been a long time since I've used it because I got the idea of a gravekeeper owning the cemetery, and I never looked back from that. But if maxon's right and it uses the same Nightlife code as the "Move Grave" function, I'm going to have to disagree with maxon and guess that it will strip colors and you'll lose the death-reenactment animations. I'm not 100% sure about this, mind you, but I believe it's the case. You could do some testing in a throwaway neighborhood and see what heppens. (But really? I highly recommend getting OFB. Even if you never run a standard business, it's worth it, IMO, just to have nicely-populated graveyards. Me, I'd pirate it at this point...but that's just me. )

As for seeing ghosts on the lot...Well, assuming you've let them spawn on their home lot, they should subsequently haunt the graveyard, too. BUT, like I said upthread somewhere, in my experience you have to get your ghosthunter there before the time when ghosts leap out of their graves which I think is 8PM. If you arrive after the time when ghosts would generate (Like, if you get there at midnight), they'll never pop out. I believe there's some coding in there that triggers ghosts to appear at a certain time. If you're not on the lot at that time, then you won't see ghosts. And, like maxon said, not every tomb spawns a ghost every night. So, if you've only got a couple of graves on the lot, then you might have a, pardon the pun, dead night here or there. If you've got dozens of graves on the lot then statistically there should be at least one ghost every night. Whether or not your ghosthunter will have an encounter with one is another thing, though. Like I said, though, the important piece is to arrive before ghost are "scheduled" to spawn. I usually get there around 7:30PM, and the ghosts come out shortly thereafter.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#21 Old 14th Feb 2015 at 11:29 AM
OK iCad, I wasn't sure but that makes sense - if it's using the same code, it will produce the same error. I have an undertaker too in Sirencester (Little Carping's downtown), Ebeneezer Lambert, so I do it that way too. Not all sims go to the two cemetaries in Sirencester and Carping Magna though (which Ebeneezer owns), Little Carping has it's own church and churchyard with a vicar.

Ghost will haunt on community owned lots. My vicar spends most of the day in his church, stays for Evensong at 7pm and them comes home. By that time, there's usually a ghost ot two out and about. You can also use the Ghost Tomb mod I mentioned upthread to force a haunting.

Scholar
Original Poster
#22 Old 15th Feb 2015 at 4:24 AM
Hiya thanks guys.

maxon-Oh that's good, thank you. I'll try doing it that way next time and hopefully it will work!

Yeah they always vary on how long they take to spawn where they have died, but I kind of assumed that once they had spawned, they would come back regularly. Maybe I'm just not staying at the graveyard long enough.

Actually the ghost hack being able to force a haunting does sound really handy, thanks! I think I'll definitely have to get it.

iCad-Oh well maybe It will, or maybe not. I can always try the ghost hack. To be honest, I should be able to test it, because my big graveyard is in Strangetown, and I have been thinking I might reset the neighbourhood at some point. I'm still preparing for the new laptop though so it may not be for a few weeks until I get round to it.

Oh I see, I think that might be the problem! I never take them until about midnight, so I must be going too late! That makes sense, thanks.

No offence, but OFB just doesn't sound fun to me, neither does University (and I don't want Young Adults), which is why I won't be getting them. I looked into all the EP's when the new laptop became a possibility. The others all sound really fun, I think it's personal in some ways. Maybe because I never went to university, only vocational college, so I'm not nostalgic for the uni lifestyle. Also, I have worked in retail for years, so there's no way I'd enjoy playing running a shop in the sims! lol!

I'll have to give the graveyard a makeover, it hasn't got a church or anything!