Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 6:33 AM
Default How to change toddler's clothes in Sims 2?
Well I'm new on here, I've had the Sims 2 base game for a year now and I need help with something..
How do you change a toddler's clothes? Like 'plan everyday outfit?' When I take them to the changing table, it just says to dress the toddler in PJs or everyday. Recently my toddler aged from a newborn to toddler. I like her hair and face appearance, but just the dress they gave her by default is not my favorite.
So I downloaded a custom outfit and made my adult go to the store and bought the outfit, so the outfit should already be bought and I don't understand why they won't let me plan her everyday outfit. I've tried everything. Please help anybody?
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 7:02 AM
That's all you should have to do, buy the outfit and then plan it at a change table.
Delete your cache files.

Perhaps try the Shop at Home Coat rack and grab a few outfits free at home and see if they show up. http://modthesims.info/d/225251

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#3 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 8:23 AM
Are you sure you bought an everyday outfit? If you chose everyday when you bought, then it's alright, but if you chose PJs or another category, the outfit doesn't always show up in other categories.

I also second using the Coat rack, as you don't have to spend so much time going to the shop to buy outfits.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 10:00 AM
The ability to plan toddler outfits on the changing table came with one of the EPs. There was a modded object that allowed you to do it in basegame, but it was so long ago that I can't remember what it was or where you could get it from. Alternatively, you could use InSim (or Simblender?), if there is a basegame compatible version of either of those mods still available.

Honestly, your easiest solution is to contact EA CS and get your free copy of UItimate Collection. That way you won't have to waste half your play time trying to find ten year old versions of mods to give you options that everyone else has in vanilla .

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 10:06 AM
I didn't notice he only had base game. OP, I agree, go get yourself the UC. Just show EA your copy and keep asking.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#6 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 10:27 AM
Go for the Ultimate Collection I have used it since it came out and, well, no regrets
Mad Poster
#7 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 12:39 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 6th Jul 2015 at 10:42 PM.
I know they later added outerwear, and there was a mod for formal and possibly undies. I do think I've been able to change clothes on toddlers since I bought the game, but I got Uni and Nightlife together with the basegame. It's possible Nightlife added it.

If you use the Simblender, simmodder or insimenator, you'll be able to set outfits, change outfits, and buy them. I mostly use the insim wardrobe adjuster or Pescado's clothing tool for canging and buying clothes. As a bonus the sim does not need to go anywhere to buy or change outfits. I've found it very handy for storytelling.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 1:29 PM
The trouble with the UC is a) not all the tools work with it and b) she's probably playing base game for a reason, like her laptop can't take the full game.

I love going to the store for clothes, myself. Every trip to a community lot is an opportunity for DRAMA! But when building Widespot the only way I could get people into the clothes I wanted was to use the hacked coatrack - there's something buggy about changing clothes, period! But I didn't have any toddlers - will the coatrack work on them? You couldn't change their appearance with the mirror back in the day, either.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 1:36 PM
The adult gets the toddlers clothes from the coat hook the same way they do at a shop clothing stand. My sims still buy clothes, but I mostly use Gussyup these days and change everything on age up.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#10 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 3:19 PM
Buy clothes and planning an outfit are different, though! She's already bought clothes, she just can't get them on the toddler.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 10:21 PM
You asked if the coatrack worked on them? I thought you meant buying clothes. No you can't plan for them I always use a change table for that. Or there is this dresser that I use to get swimwear onto tots. Tots can also get and plan their own wardrobe with it.
http://modthesims.info/d/87456

I just wish it wasn't so expensive. I tried changing it's price one time in SimPE and it didn't work. I keep it hidden on community lots now, it doesn't really fit most lots.

@kaythegreaser try the first version of that dresser.

~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#12 Old 7th Jul 2015 at 12:03 AM
during age transitions, the game picks from the household's clothing. if the household has nothing for the age+gender combination, the game generates clothing for the sim.

at least insimenator can buy and plan any age's clothing in the base game.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#13 Old 7th Jul 2015 at 12:08 AM
It looks like that wardrobe requires Uni, unfortunately.

There is also a toddler mirror on MTS that lets toddlers change appearance - let us know if you'd like a link OP.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 7th Jul 2015 at 12:38 PM
Pescado's clothing tool works for toddlers. I don't know whether it is base game compatible.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#15 Old 7th Jul 2015 at 1:19 PM
@kaythegreaser, be wary of advise to change to the Ultimate Collection (UC). If you have a computer with a good graphics card it should be no problem, but I know if I ran it on my netbook, there's a good chance it would fry my onboard graphics chip in a matter of days. I have actually registered the UC on Origin, but it will stay unused in my Origin account unless or until I have a computer I'd be confident to run it on. Meanwhile my OFB game plays well on my netbook.

I have long had a problem with my toddlers' clothes. With my combination (base game plus Nightlife and OFB) my toddlers have three categories of clothing: Everyday, Pyjamas and Underwear. The changing table lets me dress them in Everyday or Pyjamas but not in their underwear. I believe I can now do it with the Sim Manipulator, but, if Maxis gave them underwear, then surely they should have given them a way to put that underwear on! If there is a way, I haven't found it yet.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#16 Old 7th Jul 2015 at 1:39 PM
Echo's paddling pool will put them in their underwear; the Maxis nappy unless you have something downloaded.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#17 Old 7th Jul 2015 at 2:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Echo's paddling pool will put them in their underwear; the Maxis nappy unless you have something downloaded.
Thanks Jo. I've got that. I'll make sure Goneril gets one for Ariel. I don't know what the poor Newsons will do; maybe someone will help them out to get one too. I have Squinge's Underwear after Shower hack, and I think that might change toddlers into their undies after a bath too.

But both of those are using CC. Did Maxis really never provide a way for the toddlers to change into the nappies they made for them? Did they really rely on the modding community to do that for them?

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 7th Jul 2015 at 3:31 PM
I found that odd as well. It must have been why they only ever provided one option for underwear, it's never ever used. Just one of those mysteries - who knows what they originally intended with that?

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#19 Old 7th Jul 2015 at 3:38 PM
Especially in original development, programmers probably left things as open as they could so it'd be easier later to go in a number of different directions.

There's also the well-known work phenomenon of being required to finish a project sooner than it can be fully finished. You work on the core stuff first and get it working, but there's all kinds of delays and management sets arbitrary deadlines and peripheral parts of the project have to be cut, but you're not even given the time to cut it properly, just have to leave it dangling and hope it doesn't interfere with anything.