Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Mar 2019 at 5:23 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default New laptop
I have to get a new laptop and need advice on what to get. I only play sims 2 and just go online and I have all the disks.
Advertisement
Instructor
Original Poster
#2 Old 24th Mar 2019 at 11:19 AM
Please I need ideas on what video cards to use on laptops and the core and stuff
Mad Poster
#3 Old 24th Mar 2019 at 1:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Fearless Butterfly
Please I need ideas on what video cards to use on laptops and the core and stuff

One that fits your budget with a 2.4 Ghz cpu or faster.
https://www.google.com/search?q=gam...iw=1920&bih=937

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 24th Mar 2019 at 3:36 PM
Agreed the processer should have at least 2.4 Ghz. The more it has the faster your game can load, if using a lot of CC you might want to try to get something a little faster if you care about load times.

RAM, I don't think they make anything nowadays with anything less then 8GB, but you will want at least 4GB. (If you don't plan on using the 4GB patch, if you are you will want the 8) This should not be a issue buying something new now.

For the graphics, I would go with Nvidia. A lot of people have had issues with AMD, I think a diver update messed some things up. It is almost impossible to get a card that won't run the game now, so you don't have to go really fancy if only playing sims 2, that will let you save some cash. I had a GTX960 when UC first came out. ( I know you are using disks, but graphics are graphics) the game looked great with that, so you don't need anything newer to make it look good. (even a lower card then that would be fine)

If you can avoid getting something with duo cards, and just get a dedicated card you should. That will save you the headache of making sure the game is using the correct card. Some people have said their pc resets which card it is using after playing, and they have to keep setting it. Second hand info, I have never had a laptop or duo cards.
Scholar
#5 Old 24th Mar 2019 at 4:25 PM
that really depends of your own preferences (it shall be desktoped laptop, or you prefer mobility and assembly quality, if you want a new model or you consider also refurbished/used market etc.) and as it was said - your budget. Personally I'd rather spent 400$ on good refurbished machine than some of these popular crippled Mac-something clones, which are actually flooding the market.

Actual game demands are very low for current (even mediocre) hardware, but if you want to go into beautifications territory you can easily jump it rudiculously high.

Just avoid models with 4GB RAM *especially* if soldered, it's a pestilence. You want 8GB - that's really minimal amount for Windows 10, and sooner or later you will want more - so: do not buy hardware which lock your options in the future. SSD is currently considered standard, you can go with cheap 256 one and upgrade later.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 10th Apr 2019 at 8:56 AM
So I am getting one built and these are what he has quoted me. I5 processor 7400, 8gb ram, 500gb ssd and 2gb graphics card
Alchemist
#7 Old 10th Apr 2019 at 12:31 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 10th Apr 2019 at 12:54 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Fearless Butterfly
So I am getting one built and these are what he has quoted me. I5 processor 7400, 8gb ram, 500gb ssd and 2gb graphics card

A lot of people have more than a 2GB graphics card on here, so thought it might help if I chime in with specifics. I have a laptop with 2GB graphics and Sims is good on it, but I don't even try to use all the high-res hood deco and have only a few of the hi-res hairs and skins that people like. I usually have under 2GB of CC in my Downloads. I've never seen pink flashing ever. Game loads in about one minute, but is still heavily modded and I enjoy the heck out if it. My game can take about 14 active sims before it starts lagging, so that gives you an idea of how well it works with 2GB for me. I run it at 1920x1080. I have i7 2.8GHz and 16GB RAM with Windows 7 64bit, Nvidia card with 2GB. I do use the 4GB patch and modified graphics rules. I use the exe file that doesn't connect to Origin. The laptop was built in 2014. I'd say Windows 7 is my biggest advantage and would recommend you try to get that.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 10th Apr 2019 at 12:35 PM
I think it depends if you mean Sims 2 vanilla (which most people are talking about if you Google what you need to run the game) or Sims 2 with a ton of CC including high res items like sky globes, horizons and such. The people who say 'you can run sims 2 on anything!' Do not actually play Sims 2 at all or certainly not our modern supped up version. If you use very little CC I think 2Gb would be fine, but most of us here use a 4 GB graphics card and that was what I was advised to get.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~