Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Sims2Pack Clean Installer V1.6.22 (Updated Aug 2, 2014)

by Mootilda Posted 3rd Jul 2010 at 3:55 AM - Updated 2nd Aug 2014 at 10:28 PM by Mootilda

644 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 460 Feedback Posts, 183 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 26
Scholar
#26 Old 4th Jul 2010 at 4:31 AM
Sorry, I had meant to delete my question until after uninstalling 1.6.1 and installing 1.6.2, since right after I posted I saw that there had been an update. I get the same issue with the new version.
I'm scanning the downloads folder. Here's a sample error message:

I understand that it's telling me it can't proceed because there's a pathname that's too long, but since it won't tell me what the pathname is that it is objecting to, I can't find it. I've done some detective work to find some of the packages that are causing the error, but I can't find all of them.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#27 Old 4th Jul 2010 at 4:45 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 4th Jul 2010 at 5:50 AM.
That's very helpful. Let me see what I can do to (at least) get you the path / file name.
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 4th Jul 2010 at 5:31 AM
Thanks for the update! Greatly appreciated!
Scholar
#29 Old 4th Jul 2010 at 5:35 AM Last edited by lucy kemnitzer : 4th Jul 2010 at 5:51 AM. Reason: typo
thank you! I'm continuing to do detective work, and I've found more of the offending files on my own, too.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#30 Old 4th Jul 2010 at 5:50 AM
I'll have a potential fix for you tomorrow.
Test Subject
#31 Old 4th Jul 2010 at 1:00 PM
How do you uninstall a previous version?Its not in Add/Remove programs.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#32 Old 4th Jul 2010 at 2:03 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 7th Jul 2010 at 12:58 AM.
Default How to Uninstall
Quote: Originally posted by pokegirl15150
How do you uninstall a previous version? Its not in Add/Remove programs.
Here's how to uninstall:

1) Look in Add/Remove programs under "Sims2Pack Clean Installer".

2) Under the Sims2Pack Clean Installer menu, you'll find an option to Uninstall.

3) Run the new version. It should ask if you want to remove the previous version. Say yes. Then install the new version, if you want it. Note that this won't work if you are installing an older version that the one that's already on your machine.
Scholar
#33 Old 4th Jul 2010 at 3:21 PM Last edited by lucy kemnitzer : 4th Jul 2010 at 3:46 PM. Reason: add a comment
I found it in Add/Remove Programs. It's not where you expect it in the alphabet, since it goes by its full name, Sims2Pack Clean Installer and not just Clean Installer.

Edit: I seem to have found all the long path names, Mootilda. The last scan finished normally. And now I have found all the duplicates too!

It seems much faster than the old version -- is that true, or just an impression?
Site Helper
Original Poster
#34 Old 4th Jul 2010 at 3:26 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 4th Jul 2010 at 5:11 PM.
Default New Version Available
Version 1.6.4 should give better information when the path is too long. Please let me know if you have further problems with this error.

Quote: Originally posted by lucy kemnitzer
I found it in Add/Remove Programs. It's not where you expect it in the alphabet, since it goes by its full name, Sims2Pack Clean Installer and not just Clean Installer.
Thanks for the information.

I seem to have found all the long path names, Mootilda. The last scan finished normally. And now I have found all the duplicates too!
That's too bad; I was hoping that you would be able to test my fixes.

It seems much faster than the old version -- is that true, or just an impression?
I have no way to judge; I haven't got access to the old source code, so I have no way to tell what Karol changed before I took over.
Scholar
#35 Old 4th Jul 2010 at 5:37 PM Last edited by lucy kemnitzer : 4th Jul 2010 at 6:13 PM. Reason: new information
I can test your fixes: I'll create a long pathname and see what happens! It will take me the rest of the day, though, as I have other plans also.

Edit: I decided I couldn't stand to wait, so I ran a test. I buried some files as deep as Windows would allow. CI didn't bat an eye: it read them just like the others, without even complaining. That was fast and complete, thanks!

However, this time I found this:

I'm pretty sure those files listed at the top of the screen actually have names, and as you can see Clean Installer appears to be reading them properly -- enough to be able to give a texture preview image of the highlighted one.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#36 Old 4th Jul 2010 at 6:43 PM
Thank you. I appreciate you checking this for me, since I didn't seem to have the ability to create a file that would get the error.
Scholar
#37 Old 4th Jul 2010 at 7:06 PM
Funny, I seem to have no problem at all getting long pathnames!

Certain creators have a habit of writing whole paragraphs when they name their files, and then stuffing them into several layers of folders when they zip them. Too bad a couple of those are among my favorite creators . . .
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 12:38 PM
Thank you Mootilda for the program update and thanks to Lucy for the troubleshooting for you!

And Lucy, I know what you mean about folders inside folders, inside folders. When I'm organizing and run across a set like that, I ALWAYS take them out of all the sub folders and leave only one.
Test Subject
#39 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 12:54 PM
I use WinZIP for most of my downloaded content, will I have to uninstall WinZIP after I've downloaded this?
Site Helper
Original Poster
#40 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 4:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gothsrule2609
I use WinZIP for most of my downloaded content, will I have to uninstall WinZIP after I've downloaded this?
No, there's no need to uninstall WinZIP. The Clean Installer will not replace your zip or rar handlers.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#41 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 7:12 PM
I'm pretty sure those files listed at the top of the screen actually have names, and as you can see Clean Installer appears to be reading them properly -- enough to be able to give a texture preview image of the highlighted one.
Would it be possible for you to give me one or more of the CC which end up without a name, so that I can try to find the problem? Thanks!

A link to the download thread is adequate.
Scholar
#42 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 4:55 AM
I moved all the nameless files to one folder so I could look at them. They're interesting. Here they are:

All the bibi ones are part of a food thing that Sims are supposed to be able to serve (which I don't recall ever being on my Sims' menu, come to think of it). Except for Aktenschrank, the others are the diagonal versions of windows or curtains. Aktenschrank has something to do with an end table.

Looking at them in SimPe, the only one whose origin and location I am sure of is CTN's dazzle drapes and I know she won't mind me uploading the files, so here's one of them.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  CTN_DazzleDraperyShortMM-diag.zip (11.0 KB, 22 downloads)
Description: CTN dazzledraperyshortMM-diag.zip
Site Helper
Original Poster
#43 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 5:01 AM
OK, I've got it; you can remove it now, if you'd like.
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 5:07 AM
Hi Moo,

Took the time to uninstall. download and install .net 4 for x64 bit systems, turned off the mcafee live scan, and installed again and it now runs like a dream. Thanks again for all the hard work.
Test Subject
#45 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 5:08 AM
Now that I've found my way back to Sims 2 again after several computer issues, I'm so happy to see this. I'm currently running Windows 7 Ultimate, with no issues.

I have a folder labled "Meshes, etc.", that I used the Clean Installer to put everything in that had a blank "type".... LOVE the fact that I can now split those things up again!
Site Helper
Original Poster
#46 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 6:56 AM
Default New version 1.6.5 available
Fixed problem with empty names and several other problems. See the release history for a full list.

Lucy, please let me know if this does not solve all of your problem CC.
Scholar
#47 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 3:24 PM
Mootilda, it will take me a couple of days: I'm back at work and tonight I'm helping my daughter move. If someone else can try it before then, it will be good.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#48 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 3:39 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 7th Jul 2010 at 1:04 AM.
Default New version 1.6.6 available
New version available. Mostly improvements to the new recognition algorithm. See the release history for a full list.

Mootilda, it will take me a couple of days: I'm back at work and tonight I'm helping my daughter move. If someone else can try it before then, it will be good.
No problem. I appreciate the fact that you've been reporting bugs. Just let me know if you have any further problems.

I believe that I have an answer to this now. As far as I can tell, the new version is parsing less records within each CC, so it should be significantly faster. I've had to add in some additional processing as I add new things to be recognized, but hopefully it will remain faster than the older versions.

I suspect that the speed issue is why Karol decided to completely rewrite the recognition logic.
Test Subject
#49 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 11:32 AM
Sorry, but I'm a bit disappointed in the new version: When I hold the cursor on one of the files, the original .package file name doesn't appear anymore like in the previous version. That's very important for me, because I don't want to have duplicates or files with endless numbers in my dl folder.
Is there another way to read the file name before installing?
Test Subject
#50 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 2:21 PM
This is one of the best tools I've ever used for TS2, glad to see it is still being supported and updated. Wish TS3 launcher was this good. Thanks!
Page 2 of 26