Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 4:47 AM
Default Creating long dresses
Hello,

I wonder if someone could answer this questions and give me some tips. I created some dresses already, but everytime I try to create a long one I get stuck. My problem is with the number of groups of the mesh, bones and morphs. I use: Milkshape, Meshing Toolkit and Workshop.

When you create a long dress, wich base game mesh do you clone (to use as refference in Toolkit for bones and morphs)?
Do we really need to split the mesh in 2 groups? I see that some Store long dresses only use 1 group (but I can't use them as reference as well cause their morphs and bones are lost in workshop for some reason)

When I finish my dress mesh, I can't find a proper mesh to use as refference. All the base game long dresses have 2 groups of mesh, so I can't choose them cause mine only have 1. And if I use a nude body as refference, it works but the dress is "divided" in two parts, like legs, it doesn't act like a skirt.

For that above, I already asked help for a friend, and she said to me that I could erase manually bone assignments in Milkshape, then use a skirt that she sent to me to assign bones (with the option to replace only EMPTY bones). I did that but it didn't work well, and I wanted to make a longer dress than the skirt too. I tried the same (erasing and after replacing the empty parts) with the long base game skirt, but didn't work at all. After assigning the mesh turned all distorted, so nope. Even if I try with a long dress that is missing only the finger, assignment doesn't work too. All my attemps of manual assignment failed.

I already opened other people dresses to see what is like and until now they all have two groups, so I couldn't use it for assignment.
Can somebody help me, please? How am I supposed to make this correctly? Thank you so much for any help

lavoieri.tumblr.com :)
Advertisement
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#2 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 6:53 AM
A long dress really should be in two parts. This is because there's a limit to how many bones can be used in one mesh - if there are more than (I think) 60 bones the mesh distorts in the game. With a skirt there are the skirt bones in addition to everything else and it goes over the limit.

Store clothing uses a different method of morphing which TSRW can't handle. As far as I know the bones should be okay, though.

You could try splitting the dress into a top and bottom and use a long skirt as reference for the bottom. Then you could either make it as separate top and bottom packages or combine them as a two- part mesh.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 2:48 AM
After cracking my head against the wall a thousand times I think is finally working... When she walks is a little weird, but then I saw that the original game mesh do the same I did what you said, I had other problems with gap, seams, different shading, troll clothing ambient, etc etc, but miraculously I can't believe I managed to fix all of them... I guess. Thank you so much for your help.

I just have another question, I see this white line in some of my creations. It only appear when zomming out, if the camera gets closer it disappears and looks normal. My graphic settings are high, but my video card is not a big thing. What do you think? Maybe is just my graphic card or a problem with mesh/texture?

Sockpuppet
#4 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 8:09 AM
The gap is a texture issue, they are just to tight.
extend the texture edges a little
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 7:31 PM
ohhh great to know that!! thank you!!