Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Aug 2008 at 2:29 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Kitchen and Bath Stuff Crashes Lots
I just got the kitchen and stuff pack today. The day before I got it, I was playing everything just fine and didn't detect anything was out of line. After installing the stuff pack, I could not play most of my lots. They would freeze in the middle of loading and I would get a window that said something along the line of, "Sims 2: Bon Voyage has encountered a problem. The application will now terminate" and crash the game entirely. What lots I was able to load up had half of the objects in their home either replaced with something else or blinking that dreaded blue.

I know most people believe in backing up everything before installing a new expansion or stuff but I never do and only did so if I had to reinstall the computer for whatever reasons. I had no problems doing so until this pack. Forgive me if you feel I've been irresponsible.

Should I move out and back in the residences to their lots? Uninstall/reinstall the pack? Save what damage has been left undone and totally reinstall the game? I've even gone so far as to use the Sims 2 Body shop trick with refreshing all downloads but with no luck. Hope you can help!
Advertisement
shiny!
retired moderator
#2 Old 24th Aug 2008 at 5:01 AM
Default MTS2 Staff Reply
In order to better solve your problem, please go through the following as listed below:
  • General - Do the Game Problem FAQ
    You appear to have not gone through our main Game Help:Game Problemwiki FAQ. Please go through and do the steps on this FAQ, including any others that it links to (for example the Game Help:Game Problem-Problem Custom Contentwiki FAQ).

Usually, in the vast majority of cases, actually going through and doing the steps (doing, not just reading) fixes issues - sometimes you may be asked to remove custom content, or to patch - please rest assured that all of our FAQs have been tested by our staff and volunteers and we wouldn't suggest you do something unless it's been known to fix particular issues.

On occasion you might be asked to do a long FAQ - please make sure you do all the steps and don't just skip over them. You'll often find that these long FAQs have all the details you need. If nothing in the above FAQs fixes your problem you may post again detailing exactly which you have done and which steps failed.
What just happend?
retired moderator
#3 Old 24th Aug 2008 at 4:52 AM
I would remove your "downloads" to the desktop and try the game again. If it works, then that means that there is something in your downloads that is not compatible with the new sp!

Life is for LIVING so, LIVE it and have Fun

Please use "spell check" when posting!!!
Prejudice is the child of ignorance.
shiny!
retired moderator
#4 Old 24th Aug 2008 at 5:11 AM
This is part of the FAQ, G.O.C
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 25th Aug 2008 at 6:21 PM Last edited by Punk_Rawker : 25th Aug 2008 at 6:30 PM.
Okay, I'm at step 7 to delete cache files. Here's the steps I've done so far:
*Backed up everything
*Removed all custom content, which the test failed.
*Removed and tested game without any user files, where it actually began working.

I'm confused about deleting the cache files. I mean, I know what to do, but do I move all the custom content and all the files I have moved or renamed back into their original spots and delete their caches? This part didn't really specify one way or the other. I assume you do, but I wanted to make sure before I do anything.
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#6 Old 25th Aug 2008 at 6:44 PM Last edited by Canoodle : 25th Aug 2008 at 6:44 PM. Reason: fixed link
Deleteing the .cache files can be done at any time. Just right click and delete them. They will regenerate when you boot up the game. For some odd reason, my computer corrupts these files and I have to delete them every 4th or 5th time I play. :/

So, it works with a clean sims2 folder. That means you need to narrow down which folder is broken. Delete those cache files http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...ete_Cache_Files and test. If the game still doesn't work, move on to this page:
http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?..._Problem_Folder

Good luck! I'm pulling for you.

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 27th Aug 2008 at 2:43 AM
I've done everything so far but the final part, which is to look for the problem folder. I deleted all the cache files that I found lingering in my sim folders and my testing failed. Something is seriously wrong here. Everything was working perfectly until I installed this pack now everything got shot to hell!

I fear trying to remove a folder because, in the long run, I don't want to have to start over. I have about two years worth of progress and the thought of starting from scratch merely because of installing a stupid pack is a bit irritating. Something else weird is going on too; the idea at first was to uninstall and reinstall the pack. I click to uninstall it and it at first acts like it wants to run the uninstall wizard (hour glass next to the cursor) then stops. No wizard, no nothing. Nothing happens. What do you guys make of it?
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#8 Old 27th Aug 2008 at 4:04 AM
The problem folder might be something very benign and easily fixed. Hopefully it's not a bad neighborhood. Keep going to see if you can isolate a bad folder. If you can't find a bad folder, you might have to reinstall. But remember, you've saved your game folders when you backup before an uninstall. You can always put them back in and see if it works! What we're trying to do is figure out if it's user files or game files that are causing the problem. You might have some corrupted game files. In that case, reinstalling should work. You can then try to put your saved Sims2 folder back into your fresh new install.

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#9 Old 27th Aug 2008 at 9:51 PM
I was going to say that reinstalling the stuff pack might be a good bet anyway; the fact that it won't uninstall itself shows there may be a problem.
http://www.modthesims2.com/wiki.php...egistry_Entries
What I'd be tempted to try is uninstall K&B, reinstall, run the game to get a fresh set of files, verify it works, then put back your old neighborhoods, lot catalog and Downloads folders (but leave the 'clean' version of the other files).