Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 12:58 AM
Default Screenshots for Walls
Ok, So I'm terrible at taking screenshots. But I've been working on this for 2 days and getting frustrated. Gummilutt kindly gave me permission to add cornices and mouldings to her Pastel Wall Set 1 here http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=557553. My computer graphics are poor to say the least. When I take pictures inside, they are shadowed even though I have Lights and windows and make the walls look wavy and like they are poorly made. When I take them outside where the light is strong the walls look ok but washed out. I know they are tiling correctly without lines because I checked that out in Photo Shop Pro first. Any suggestions on how to handle the Screenshots to make them look better.
Screenshots

Nutty Sims Mommy.
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 10:19 AM Last edited by maxon : 29th Jul 2015 at 11:24 AM.
I think you need two kinds of screenshot - one would be a face-on shot of the walls showing what they are without anything else in shot. I think you have to show three tiles tiling anyway. Then my solution to showing what they look like in game is to make a room set (I use two walls only to get natural light which gives a better idea of the colour). I hate to blow my own trumpet but you can see what I did with my 50s tiling set here:

http://modthesims.info/d/539322

Three room sets, and three pictures showing the variants and colours with a 'three tiles of each' version of the wall as required in the upload guidelines. These went through moderation and passed (obviously) - in other words, that post met the requirements of the guidelines.

Also, what are you using to take the shots? The in-game camera takes poor quality shots and you would be better with an external screen capture programme like Fraps (which is freeware). Also, turn shadows off - that will stop the wavy effect.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#3 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 10:55 AM
I don't think the walls in that screenshot look wavy - unless you mean that the way the light hits them makes them look wavy? That difference in lighting is normal (not much you can do about it) and you'll be glad to know that the queue mods -know- about it and won't reject your walls because of that.

When I take wallpaper screenshots I like to use fanseelamb's invisible lights: http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=5603 - they won't show up in your screenshots, no matter how close or far away you take them, and I think they give off good light. I usually use 2 or 3 of them a couple of tiles out from the wall. Since I know that wallpapers need to be shown over at least 3 tiles I usually cover at least 6 tiles then use camerman mode to get up close to those 6 tiles for a "main" screenshot, then closer still to get extra screenshots showing the 3 tiles. (I actually take them showing 4 tiles so I can crop them down to 3 tiles.) It takes a bit of messing around to get just the right angle (straight on) but once you get it, you can use Ctrl+4 (or 5,6,7 - not sure if you can use higher numbers than that) to lock in that angle. After taking a screenshot and changing the wallpaper, Tab then Ctrl+4 will take you right back to that angle. (Makes it super easy to take multiple screenshots at the same angle!) Take a look at my wallpaper uploads, if you'd like, to get an idea of what I mean. Some of my screenshots are taken in a corner - but I take them the same way I described here.
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 1:32 PM
Thank you both so much for your suggestions. I will try them all. I am almost hopeless at screenshots. Thanks, hopefully I will be able to upload this tomorrow as I am going out of town today.

Nutty Sims Mommy.