Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Jan 2017 at 3:42 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Error Code 12 When Saving
Hello MTS, I've been having an ongoing problem with my sims 3 game. Sometimes when I go to save it will pop up with error code 12 and fail to save. I have been researching this error all over the internet and I can't seem to find a solution. Here's what I've tried:
-Cleaning up my save file with S3PE -Disabling and removing all memories
-Installing maintenance mods like NRAS Overwatch, Error Trap, Master Controller, Etc
-Tried saving from edit town mode, also tried saving just zoomed into some grass
-Removed any corrupt or conflicting custom content using a variety of methods like the sims 3 dashboard, process monitor and S3PE -Merged cc together to reduce the number of files
-Tried a "reset everything" from Master Controller before saving
-Tried switching to a less complex or different household before saving
-Tried running a program that shuts down other programs and services while the game runs to free up RAM
-Tried installing more RAM in my computer (12gb total)
-Patched the game file to allow it to use more RAM
-Tried setting all graphics options to the lowest before saving
-Tried deleting .bad saves from the saves folder before saving
-Tried removing all previous saves from the save folder than trying to save

So that's what I've done so far. It's my understanding that this error happens when the save file becomes large and the game can't access more RAM to store the save file. However my game only uses about 2.8gb of RAM while saving which is well below the limit of 3.7gb for a 32bit program, so it doesn't seem like it's running out of RAM, but my save file is large (140mb) so it could be I suppose.

Does anybody know of any more fixes to try for this error? It makes the game unplayable, and I really like playing the game.

Oh and really quick just want to mention I have all the stuff packs and expansions installed and they are all patched to the latest versions.
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Jan 2017 at 6:55 AM
It's usually help forum etiquette to create a new thread for each users problem. I read through your thread though I didn't have any of the issues you were having with duplicates, jigs and whatnot.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 26th Jan 2017 at 7:08 AM Last edited by igazor : 26th Jan 2017 at 8:09 AM.
Wanna be shocked? A single instance of my current ongoing game's save file is 2.4 GB and it almost never Error 12s. Once in a blue moon maybe, especially if I have a game session that I've let run for 36 real time hours (obviously paused much of the time, I can't play that long all in a row) or if I've jumped back and forth between CAS, Live Mode, and Edit Town like a maniac far too many times or have suddenly decided to place and move around 10 new lots in Edit Town all at once in an already crowded world. But the large size is because there's 15 connected worlds (Traveler mod) in there and I've let the TravelDB file get a bit bloated again. It's really the size of the actively being played nhd file within the save folder that is significant and I never let any of mine go above 400 MB individually without running Kuree's Save Cleaner or doing the equivalent cleanup using S3PE on it. A save of 140 MB might benefit a little from being cleaned up, but that really isn't very large.

We always refer to Error12 as an out of memory condition, but it's really more like an out of resources one. A single possibly unnoticed spike into the danger zone above 3.5 GB can trigger one even if usage calms back down to below 3 instantly, but apparently so can overusage of video memory and other resources that are really difficult if not impossible to even measure casually like RAM usage is.

Have a look here, if you are not already familiar with this page, and at the recently revived discussion that Nitromon mentions for inspiration and other things that might be worth trying, especially the latest on worldwide jig cleanups (Edit: now I see that you have already done the latter). The discussion kind of wanders between Error 12 prevention and what to do when you actually get one, so it might help when reading it to keep the context of the comments in mind.
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Tips+Fo...ame+Performance

Until we get more information about what this jig cleanup can or cannot accomplish, I'm still more focused on prevention and at least until that discussion got revived never really try to recover from an Error12 once it does happen. Frequent saves throughout play usually give me many safe places to revert to without having to replay entire borked up sessions no matter how they happen, if/when they do.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 26th Jan 2017 at 8:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Do you use anything like Consort's aging mod? I'm wondering if that mod is causing a lot of unnecessary bloating. Basically at 1 am each night, it ages all the YA, Adult, and elders 1 day older... essentially it modifies those sims details, hair, aging details, etc... so it would be like instantaneously editing hundreds of sims in one shot. So basically I have to pause the game at 1 am every sim day b/c it lags so badly while it updates all those sims.

I do use Consort's Age mod, but not Grow. I believe that Age only impacts Adults and Elders by the way, not YAs. But it must be relevant that I use SP for Rotational Play, so unless I happen to be playing my designated "main household" rotation in each world, aging is off for the inactives in order for the entire town to age somewhat evenly. Never really noticed the impact beyond a one or two second freeze at 1 am even with aging on across the board, though of course others' experiences will vary with those.

Uff, my overstuffed main world did have a huge baby boom long ago and eventually they are all going to be Adults/Elders. I play so slowly that right now they are still Teens/YAs. Maybe this effect is something I still have to look forward to, then.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 26th Jan 2017 at 8:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I'm not sure what you mean by this.

http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Story+P...+Caste+Settings
(Option One, see the section entitled "Aging of Unprotected Inactives")

You may have something there on Dresser. It's one of very few NRaas mods that I've never used.

I would say a population of 300 residents in Riverview is high. As we have discussed (I think), that is my main world but my resident population is around 250 now. And my computer, whose processor, video card, and RAM are sufficient, is aging and is not the strongest in the crowd by any means.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 26th Jan 2017 at 6:37 PM
Okay, so I was trying a bunch of stuff and somehow I fixed the game. It used to error code 12 after 1-2 saves every time I ran the game. Now I've been able to save 10 times in a row and I restarted the game twice and did it again. I even let it sit open all night and was able to save. This was with me having 30 tabs open in chrome and task manager open and alt tabbing out of the game. I also opened CAS with Master Controller and went into build and buy mode to try and cause the error. So I think it's solved. Here's everything I did:

-Installed a mod to disable memories by Shirmod or Shimrod or something
-Deleted all of the memories that were already made using Master Controller
-Used a program called Compressorizer Redux 1.0 that compresses sims files while decrapifying them. Here's what I did. First I added my CC with the add files button and the decrapify option on and "recursive?" unchecked. Then I hit go. Then I cleared the CC out of the list so it was blank again. Then I checked the box that said "recursive?" Then I added the files from the My Documents Sims 3 "Saves" and "Library" folders to the list and hit go.
-Installed a mod that lets you place residential items on commercial lots and vice versa by Buzzler
-I reloaded the game after every step (Might be an important part of it all)
-Moved a store fixes package I had to the overrides folder in the mods folder, loaded the game, it replaced some objects, I then realized it was supposed to be in the packages folder and not the overrides, so I moved it back
-Disabled Windows Defender