Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 12:54 AM
Why can't you put all of this cool stuff on the sims 3 exchange?
Why can't you put all of this cool stuff on the sims 3 exchange? I downloaded a pram that was a MOD but now its gone
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 1:00 AM
Downloading CC off the exchange is horribly unsafe - you know that right? (not to mention there's no way to share clothes, objects, etc.) And the exchange just sucks in general... Learn how to install .package! It's really not that hard! Much safer and easier to deal with.

Hi I'm Paul!
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#3 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 1:51 AM
'Cause we have:
  • Better interface
  • Easier installation
  • Better quality
  • More innovation
  • Support for all types of uploads
  • Snazzy stuff for creators
  • Equally snazzy stuff for downloaders
  • Better tech support when it goes wrong
  • Greater visibility
  • Better facilities for modders to learn and collaborate
  • Huge amounts of various aggregated knowledge and info
  • Much more flexibility for uploaders
  • Clearer instructions for downloaders
  • Stolen content is removed and thieves banned
  • Doesn't look like it's older than UseNet
  • Bacon

btw, if you ever have problems with installing some content, you can click the Install Instructions tab on any download page to get detailed, step-by-step instructions, with pictures, on how to install all different types of content here. If it still doesn't work, we have instructions on troubleshooting (with more pictures), and a Q&A forum just in case you really can't figure it out.

If the content you want is gone from the site entirely, then that's probably because we allow the deletion or temporary hiding of CC if it turns out to not work properly, or if a new patch/EP breaks it and the creator needs time to fix it. Hopefully, it will be made available again soon. Of course, sometimes creators do decide to delete things permanently, just as on any other site; which is very unfortunate, but is after all their right. If you can't find it but don't know for sure that it's gone, try looking at your download history under the User Tools menu.

Proud? Why yes, I am.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Alchemist
#4 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 2:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
'Cause we have:
  • Better interface
  • Easier installation
  • Better quality
  • More innovation
  • Support for all types of uploads
  • Snazzy stuff for creators
  • Equally snazzy stuff for downloaders
  • Better tech support when it goes wrong
  • Greater visibility
  • Better facilities for modders to learn and collaborate
  • Huge amounts of various aggregated knowledge and info
  • Much more flexibility for uploaders
  • Clearer instructions for downloaders
  • Stolen content is removed and thieves banned
  • Doesn't look like it's older than UseNet
  • Bacon

Proud? Why yes, I am.

...damn you, now i want bacon.

but essentially, i agree with everything you said. MTS is just, in general, as a whole, much MUCH better. in every way.
industries namely, EA that are out to make money generally will treat their customers like crap if they can get away with it, meaning less attention to what really matters and more on what they can skate by on.
and i have to say, the exchange is full of people who are more than happy to settle for less, by the look of things.
the exchange is the naughty child who wonders how many cookies youll allow them to take from the jar before you complain that the cookie jar is lacking, whereas MTS is the adult who properly dispenses with the cookies according to who finished their dinner.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Duck Defender
#5 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 5:31 AM
Been with MTS forever (my user number is '19'), and I can't imagine going anywhere else.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 5:45 AM
MTS is definitely one of the best CC sites around. The Exchange is buggy and filled with... really questionable quality items. Even if I don't like everything here, a lot of the items are definitely high quality.

"It sucks because the vampires don't run fast enough. Lets be realistic - any vampire could run at leas a 4.5 40. These guys ran somewhere between a 4.8.-4.9."
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 6:51 AM
Agree on the "treat customers like crap if they can get away with it" part. There are tons of threads asking for helps and either someone came up with some kind of half baked solution or it is a rant fest.

Also, for some reason, TS3 website feels like it has 30 flash programs running, it is so slow to scroll.

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Scholar
#8 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 1:56 PM
Better question is...Why would you download from the exchange? The EA sites have been crap since the dawn of Sims and not likely to change.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 2:16 PM
I agree that the exchange is b-a-d. You should actually see the things the make featured. I was actaully sick all over the screen when I first saw that website.

You can find video previews of ALL my uploads on my YouTube Channel.
Keep updated, and follow me on Twitter! You´ll get the most recent news and goss when I´m making custom content!
---- Have Fun With My Uploads! ----
#10 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 3:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JackJess
I agree that the exchange is b-a-d. You should actually see the things the make featured. I was actaully sick all over the screen when I first saw that website.

*hands JackJess some screen wipes ....*

But I totally agree - The Exchange is a paltry excuse of a site.
Theorist
#11 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 4:16 PM
BACON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never, ever use the Exchange. I did it once... when I was new to Sims 2... was getting bored with Base Game and didn't know anything about CC and I stumbled on to the Exchange by accident. Saw some items I liked, grabbed it and got a bazillion viruses. Never again. Your 3rd party sites are a lot better than the Exchange. The only thing I do at the official site is read the forums, get the patch updates and sometimes buy some items in the Store. That's it.
Site Helper
#12 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 4:58 PM
MTS has quality control. The Exchange will accept any upload.

Some real gems can be found at the Exchange, by creators who appreciated the boost of confidence when they were new and stuck with them out of gratitude, but a lot of completely broken items are there as well. There are also often several slightly altered or even non-altered copies of CC that someone else actually worked hard on and posted at a different site. (Some of it even still has the original creator's name in the file, without the creator being in the credits.) They do follow up on plagiarism reports, but it doesn't seem to be as quickly as it happens at MTS. (That statement is subjective, and based on second hand reports, though.) It's not a horrible site; it's just not a great one. (And it is one that I don't go to if I can avoid it.)

We have a great site, and we've been spoiled by it. On a scale of 1-10, MTS would get a 10 and the Exchange would get a 3. ( 4 if you enjoy watching drama. ) It does do a good job of making sure that the Sims 2 stuff is not mixed in with Sims 3, and downloading sims3packs and sims2packs means that it is harder to accidentally put a bit of CC from the wrong game into your game. And, as I said before, there are some real gems that turn out to have been original creations at the Exchange. You just need to watch what you get, and have it considered probationary until it doesn't kill a test game. Unfortunately, most of the gems eventually end up being pay items when the creator is considered good enough to be offered a position. (Something else that never happens at MTS)

(On second thought, lower that 3 to 2 1/2 due to stuff suddenly not being free anymore.) It's probably a decent spot for your very first upload ever, though. It's a real confidence booster to have people actually downloading something you made, rather than have it returned 3 times with changes required. (And I'm still wondering why I needed a -brightly lit- dark, gloomy, and spooky crypt.)

Of course, it's even nicer to realize that you have managed to meet the quality standards with your upload.

I know I'm going to get a ton of "disagree" and probably even "unhelpful" votes on this, but it needed to be said. The Exchange could (and should) be much better, and we have a much better site right here, but it's not a waste of space on the internet, either.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 6:11 PM
The one thing that seems to be safe for the time being to download off the exchange is hair color and patterns. Never download any sims from there as it will have a high probability of corrupting your game. Stick with the official EA store stuff or for CC come to MTS.

RUN FOREST RUN!
Instructor
#14 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 7:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
MTS has quality control. The Exchange will accept any upload.

This is the main problem and downside to the Exchange, from my point of view. Any quality control over there, is strictly self-imposed by the creator himself. For instance, if I ever choose to upload anything to it, it will be every bit as good as anything I upload here. Basically, it needs to be something I'm very proud of. However, not everyone over there behaves this way.

This may sound horrible, but that's one reason I've been reluctant to upload anything to the Exchange. Therefore, anything I upload may be placed alongside complete garbage (not naming any names or examples). It cheapens my uploads so to speak, since they would never have to fulfill any standards. If I upload something here at MTS, then I know it has fulfilled minimum quality standards. By extension, I know that it's nice, which adds to the satisfaction of completing it. I say this even though I've had things sent back to me for changes required. Because you know what? It turns out the upload was even better after the changes.

There's another downside to the Exchange that has yet to be mentioned; pictures and descriptions. Rather, the lack of them. I've poked around there once, and there are so many things lacking both. This means you often have no idea at all of what you're getting. So combined with things that may break your game, it's almost like an e-"Russian roulette" sort of deal here.

Now, I want to be clear here. There are some very, *very* good things there. Uploads where the creators spent a great deal of time, pouring their hearts and souls into them to make very good stuff. Such uploads also have very clear descriptions, and pictures so you know exactly what you're getting. It's just there's no requirements there for anyone to provide descriptions and pictures.

I'm glad it's available, since it means there's always a way for someone to share stuff, and therefore serves an important purpose. But there are downsides to it.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 3rd Jun 2011 at 1:26 AM
Modthesims = pure awesomeness, excha-- no, I cannot put that word in the same sentence.

(not even in the same message..)
Mad Poster
#16 Old 3rd Jun 2011 at 2:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BenC0722
There's another downside to the Exchange that has yet to be mentioned; pictures and descriptions. Rather, the lack of them. I've poked around there once, and there are so many things lacking both. This means you often have no idea at all of what you're getting. So combined with things that may break your game, it's almost like an e-"Russian roulette" sort of deal here.

This is my biggest problem with the exchange, you are flying blind because many times there is just a vague picture about what ever you want to download, and little to nothing description. So you are basically flying blind. I haven't downloaded anything from the exchange, but sometimes some item gets positive reports, and I want to check it out, but there's nothing to check out unless you download but I don't want to download anything I can't check out before hand.

I have put one story to the exchange when TS2 came out, it was crap. I tried searching for it a while back, but the search functionality is bad, so I never found it. One can always wish it has been flushed down a digital toilet and doesn't exist any more.
Test Subject
#17 Old 3rd Jun 2011 at 2:36 AM
What I notice though, is that when you download things from the exchange your game doesn't slow down as much as if you install a .package file. ((( Maybe I'm just like a huge noob (yes, i got my friend max to set up everything for me so I can dl and install package files LOL so i have no idea how to do anything)
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 3rd Jun 2011 at 2:44 AM
I've only ever uploaded to the exchange once. It must have been four or five years ago, when my only knowledge of CC was limited to the Sims 2 Exchange. I created the crappiest house ever, uploaded it and got hundreds of downloads. Thats what it is, generally what I'd describe as a landfill.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 3rd Jun 2011 at 2:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Cruzy
I've only ever uploaded to the exchange once. It must have been four or five years ago, when my only knowledge of CC was limited to the Sims 2 Exchange. I created the crappiest house ever, uploaded it and got hundreds of downloads. Thats what it is, generally what I'd describe as a landfill.

It's definitely a landfill. Some of the clothes there show up when your showering (without the never nude trait). It's very annoying when you get bad CC. Where as MTS is only the best quality, non-plagiarized Custom Content.

I'm cooler than cool! I'm stupid!
Theorist
#20 Old 3rd Jun 2011 at 3:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by JackJess

Nah that's not true, there are actually some really really talented builders who for some reason stick to the exchange. But yeah most of the stuff on the exchange is pretty bad and I swear that they pick random designs to feature... I actually got featured for one of my sims though, she's really not that good but I was proud to be featured at that time lol it's Medusa, it got rejected by MTS though so it just shows EA's low standards

Hi I'm Paul!
Forum Resident
#21 Old 3rd Jun 2011 at 3:43 PM
I would never ever download CC from the Exchange *has flashbacks of poisonous baby doll epidemic* except for worlds. The create-a-world forum over there has a nice selection of worlds that have actually been built with care and expertise. I wouldn't download a world that hasn't been showcased in the forum before being put on the Exchange though.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 3rd Jun 2011 at 6:43 PM
I loved the exchange when I had TS1...if only I'd have known other CC existed :P
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 3rd Jun 2011 at 7:43 PM
I find the exchange a fine place to store my favorite sims ( with no CC ), just in case my pc explodes and my extern hard drive melts.

mjau
----------
Known as Elevinia on simscave and GoS