Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st May 2011 at 3:56 PM
Default Is it better for us to.....
get news and leaked info about newest EP or just wait until it launched? For me, it's better to not get any news about it until the EP comes out...

So, how 'bout you?

Hey there! :)
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 31st May 2011 at 4:20 PM
It's better to have all of the information in advance. I couldn't care less about being "spoiled" (there is nothing really to be "spoiled" about regarding The Sims expansion packs, anyway), I just like to know whether an EP is worth purchasing or not.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#3 Old 31st May 2011 at 4:22 PM
I don't get obsessive about getting every little bit of info, but it's nice to know the key features and what I'm going to be getting out of an EP. I don't really get the folks who lurk the "omg any tiny piece of information!!11eleventy" threads getting into drawn-out debates over whether X feature or Y concept is good or not, months before an EP comes out. But I'll watch a trailer or two and peek in every once in a while to see what interesting stuff has been announced.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 31st May 2011 at 4:28 PM
I actually suspect EA is leaking information on purpose to fuel the fire. For example, they know how much people want pets, but their plans were for Generations to be the next EP. Solution? Leak the Pets video with an estimated release date.

My cat taught me how to fetch. I throw the toy, she shows me where it landed, and I fetch it.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 31st May 2011 at 4:40 PM
^ Don't forget the leaked picture! That was so deliberate it's funny.

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Field Researcher
#6 Old 31st May 2011 at 4:41 PM
Yes I too think it is a marketing ploy on the part of EA and quite a clever one too. I am always quite excited to see what comes next and can never miss an EP I dont want to miss out on any gameplay elements but SP's well meh couldn't care less. I do think the hype around Generations has been too much and it is no wonder people are disappointed when they have built themselves into a frenzy over what an EP may contain, what will be implemented etc.
I do like having a peak at the preview trailers and will read what others are saying about an EP I just think some people get a bit carried away, in some threads about generations the hostility is almost palpable between disagreeing factions. I think the success of the Sims series is it appeals to a lot of different types of people as there are so many ways to play the game therefore it's obvious that EA cant get everyone, everything they wish for, for example I couldn't care less about weather as I have been able to garden and fish since the base for others the lack of seasonality is monotonous and the lack of weather ruins the experience. Will i object if a seasons style EP makes it onto the market nope I will not and I will not indulge in verbal fisticuffs over it either. I will however check out any previews that may be leaked and see what everyone is saying about it.

I want to punch Chris Steel in the face!
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 31st May 2011 at 4:44 PM
I like having all the information. I don't buy the packs on time, I always wait to see what other people think about them and what is included in the pack; that way, if my friends don't like it or people complain or it just doesn't interest me, then I know not to bother getting it.

My roommate just got her copy in the mail (she and I have been drooling over it all semester) and is coming over today to show me it. If I like it, then I'll run down to Target or Gamestop and pick it up. Right now, though, even with all the negative reviews, I plan on getting the game because I like what I see.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 31st May 2011 at 6:27 PM
I like watching trailers and stuff, and reading fansite previews. But, when people get their copies of the game a little bit early and post a lot of things about it, sometimes I think the EP loses a little bit of its charm. Like, reading about a cute kid-to-kid interaction or something "spoils" that part of the game for me. Because when I see it, I'll have known it's coming instead of it being a surprise. So, sometimes I feel like it can be a spoiler in a book or a movie. Not a major plot point, because those are all revealed by trailers/previews, but just some side details that aren't really that important, but would be sweet if I hadn't known about them beforehand. I think for me this is mostly because I pre-ordered the game, and lots of people seem upset about it I'm getting kind of disappointed from what I'm reading. I hope I'll be pleasantly surprised when I get the game.
On the other hand, it's good to know what you're getting into, so you don't just buy an EP that you thought had X features when really in the game they were presented like Y, which you don't like. Before I pre-ordered, this is what I found to be very helpful

BTW, not saying anyone was wrong for posting what they thought if they got the EP before the release date. It was really helpful!
Theorist
#9 Old 31st May 2011 at 6:38 PM
I don't mind having advanced info on the next SP/EP. Helps me formulate an opinion and decide whether or not I'll get it. For example - the next EP which is going to be a pet EP. I didn't get Pets in TS2 and from what information there is out there, I won't be getting it in TS3 either unless they put more items/content in there that will make my change my mind to want to get it.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 31st May 2011 at 8:36 PM
I'm with HP on this one: I like to know what features an EP will have before it's released but I'm usually not that bothered to know every single piece of information.
Instructor
#11 Old 31st May 2011 at 11:39 PM
I love all the little teasers and leaks... the 'gossip' of it all makes it a little more exciting and allows more speculation about gameplay :D
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 1st Jun 2011 at 12:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by el_flel
I'm with HP on this one: I like to know what features an EP will have before it's released but I'm usually not that bothered to know every single piece of information.

I am way more interested to know about any possible pitfall, like ... any changes to the framework that will cause a certain group of CC not functional (like with previous EP, all windows stopped working), or any other possible major problem that I absolutely need to know when playing. It is best to be informed and prepared in advance.

About features, I don't mind finding them out on my own, and hopefully I won't miss any nifty ones. But that requires TS3 to be alive and running, hence the information needed to be prepared for any chance of possible explosion caused by TS3 (even remotely related).

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 2:25 PM
I don't mind if I am spoiled, I'll buy the games and expansions anyway. I do read about upcoming expansion packs in any games I play but I don't go hunting for them. They are usually talked about in gaming forums I hang out in, like here.

I do sometimes find it useful in knowing what is coming. Like in Sims 3 I can plan accordingly. For instance knowing before hand about Late Night vampire epidemic and the celebrities I could research into the possibilities of controlling those events with mods.
Instructor
#14 Old 3rd Jun 2011 at 1:23 AM
I'm the same as HP. Far more laid back about the whole thing.

I am an Angel who has tamed the Dragon. For I am NOT crunchy, NOR good with ketchup!
Theorist
#15 Old 3rd Jun 2011 at 1:30 AM
I think it's fine to not read anything/be surprised but if you do do that then you can't complain when you find out that feature x isn't what you or that there's not enough content for your taste. It's called being a smart consumer and researching (even just a little bit) about what you're buying.

Hi I'm Paul!
Field Researcher
#16 Old 3rd Jun 2011 at 3:01 AM
I like to know in advance, but I'm not crazy about it. I also wait a few days after it comes out to see if It's worth my money.

I'm cooler than cool! I'm stupid!
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 3rd Jun 2011 at 7:07 AM
I like to read about the expansions before I buy it so I know what I'm getting myself into. Now, I don't like to know every little thing. I think finding out some of the features yourself for a first time is part of the fun of playing it and the "newness" of the game. But I do like a little general into about what I'm buying to know if it'll interest me or not.