Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Jan 2005 at 2:10 AM Last edited by Delphy : 30th Jan 2005 at 1:27 AM.
Mesh Tool Tutorial: The Dummies Way
A tutorial on modifing existing objects from the game.

You well need the following:

-The Sims 2 Mesh tool from: http://meshtool.modthesims2.com/

-The last SimPE version (follow instructions how to install) you can get the latest version from:
http://sims.ambertation.de/ (go to downloads)

-Delphy's SimPE OBJ Extracter (follow instructions how to install) http://forums.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=32166

-The VB6 runtimes from: http://www.modthesims2.com/files/

-(all the items both s2mt and SimPE need to operate properly)

-3d program. (so far milkshape seems to be the only program I know about that works in import and export of the obj.) I am trying out other programs and well update my findings.

- to make sure the SimPE OBJ extractor well work properly please do the following
a. open SimPE b. go to plugins/installed plugins
c. locate GMDC wrapper
d. click on the name, move up, so it sits directly above Generic Rcol Wrapper
e. make sure there is a check in the box
f. hit ok

- You also need to register at the SimPE website for GUID numbers.

{IMPORTANT:
If you are editing a base mesh, a clothing mesh, a hair mesh or *anything* animated, then we suggest that you ONLY change the vertices around and that you DO NOT DELETE ANY POLYGONS! This is critical as if you do it WILL BREAK THE GAME! You have been warned.}

ok Lets start the tutorial :howdy:
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#2 Old 13th Jan 2005 at 2:15 AM Last edited by Miche : 29th Jan 2005 at 11:59 PM.
Default Part 1 SimPE
1. Open simPE, go to plugins/Object workshop (this takes a few minutes to open up. You well think the program has locked on you but it didn’t)

2. Scroll down the list to find an item you would like to do a mesh edit on. To make this easy we well edit the Colonial Column by brace yourself. (click on it even if it is highlighted)

3. Next we need to go to settings. Here we are going to choose clone, keep the three boxes (set private group ID , fix clone files and use RCOL relations) checked also click on clone to activated that. Then click start and wait a few seconds.
Now save it as whatever you want to call it (I made mine LBColColum)
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Jan 2005 at 2:21 AM
4. Now under Filetypes look at the names and click once on Geometric Data Container. Under Packed files you well see type. Under that you well see the Geometric data container information. Click on that once.
- Right click (on that name) choose extract. Save it in the same folder as your cloned
sims object. Click save.
- Click Plugin View to activate it and click on export to obj. A box pops up…Click ok (it well export to where you saved the GMDC (part 3.)

5. ok now minimize simPE.

6. The fun part begins, open your 3d mesh editing program and edit the mesh. When you are done, export the obj (I saved mine on top/replace of the original name)
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Jan 2005 at 2:25 AM Last edited by Miche : 1st Feb 2005 at 6:33 PM.
7. Load up the sims2mesh tool,
- under edit and exsisting mesh step 1: select obj file to import. Click on Load OBJ
(here you well browse over to where you saved the obj file from exporting it out
of the 3d program.
- go to step 2: click on Load existing GMDC
here you need to browse to the folder where you extracted your Geometric Data
Container.

- go to step 3: Optional. Click on settings uncheck everything except import
verticals, click close
- go to step 4: save the file. Click on convert to GMDC and make a name for you
new item. (I named mine LBColumnTEST)
- X out of sims2mesh tool.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Jan 2005 at 2:27 AM Last edited by Miche : 30th Jan 2005 at 12:08 AM.
8. Make SimPE active and do the following
- right click on Geometric Data Container in the (type) area. (Same please where
we extracted the GMDC) click on replace, browse to where you saved the new gmdc from step 4 of the mesh tool. Click open. (this well replace the games original gmdc with the modified one)
Now click on the assign hash button and then commit.

Then in the tool menu select "Fix Integrity" , and commit again

- Change the GUID by going to Object Data. Click once to highlight it in type. Click plugin view to activate it.
- Now click on the get GUID button (Make sure the update MMAT box is checked.) and follow the instructions to get a new GUID.
Then click commit.

9. Go to file/Save as. You can now save your new package file as a new name if you want. Close out of SimPE we are finished.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 13th Jan 2005 at 2:29 AM
Now just put a copy of your new object into the Download folder of your sims game in my computer and try it out in the game.

Finished :clap:
Locked thread