Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 3:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Megido
If the only DRM that the game comes with is Origin, then yes. BUT, if Origin is anything like Steam (it's probably safe to assume it's equal to or worse than Steam), it will throw a bitchfit if you try to play games on the same Origin account at the same time from two different computers, so only one person would be able to play the game at a time, unless you're running it in offline mode, but even then, I have no idea how Origin's offline mode works so you might not be able to do that.

how does it know if you're in the origin account on a different computer? origin is creepy lol
Advertisement
Instructor
Original Poster
#27 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 4:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Renzilla
From what I gathered, we only need to register the game through Origin, but it does not need to be running to be able to work. With the Sims 3, when they gave the Town Life Stuff Pack out for free, I downloaded it, got an icon on my desktop like any other Sims game, never again ran Origin and played like always.

That's what I'm hoping Sims 4 will be like. It would be even better if we just didn't have to deal with Origin at all.
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 4:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by christmas fear
how does it know if you're in the origin account on a different computer? origin is creepy lol

Each computer has it's very own IP address. Anyways, no Sims game that I know of has allowed multiple copies to be played at the same time on different PC's. You've always needed the disc. The only way for multiple people to use one copy is actually always broken the EULA.
Instructor
#29 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 4:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Lamare
So, you, like, click the desktop icon of the demo and it starts Origin? Is there even a desktop icon for it?

I tried to launch The Sims 3 Pets Demo to see, if it needs Origin to run. Well, to compare. And it appears it no longer works, although it is installed. Nothing happens when I click it. I guess, now I know what I should expect to see when they decide to shut down any other game.

CAS Demo does have a desktop icon but it opens Origin as we click on it. Tried to click on the .exe file, same thing happened. It doesn't work like TS3.
Just tried to close Origin while I'm using CAS Demo and nope, I can't close Origin if it's open(it shows a popup asking me to close the game).
Maybe it's just a way to prevent people from installing it on friends PCs?

Let's just agree to disagree.
Forum Resident
#30 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 5:00 AM

Well, Origin is an internet service...
Field Researcher
#31 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 6:24 AM
I think Origin disconnects you as soon it notices that the same account is accesed by another computer. I had to make another account for my mother and preorder another copy for her. Yep, one of the few things I share with my mother: We are simmers since TS1 (she was since TS2)

"Ride to live, live to ride...wheels of fire, forever!!!!!!!!!"
Origin ID: metalfenix_Raf
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 8:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by queziacristina
As far as I can remember we're allowed to install TS3 base game and EPs in up to 5 PCs.
This is such a huge turn-off. I have the digital version of SimCity 4:Deluxe from Amazon. I like Amazon. I have upgraded my laptops/PC over the years and I have reinstalled it several times (usually due to an technical issue). It's great that I never have to worry about buying it again a decade from now.

EA really sucks. I do not want to pay for a game I bought already. Before I forget, it's the SIMS. I do not want to spend a lot of money just to reinstall. If I have a technical issue and need to reinstall just to root out any causes, then this is a big concern. I really miss the simpler days.
Field Researcher
#33 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 9:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Hellken
This is such a huge turn-off. I have the digital version of SimCity 4:Deluxe from Amazon. I like Amazon. I have upgraded my laptops/PC over the years and I have reinstalled it several times (usually due to an technical issue). It's great that I never have to worry about buying it again a decade from now.

EA really sucks. I do not want to pay for a game I bought already. Before I forget, it's the SIMS. I do not want to spend a lot of money just to reinstall. If I have a technical issue and need to reinstall just to root out any causes, then this is a big concern. I really miss the simpler days.

Then you deauthorize the computer and reauthorize - it's not quite the crisis situation you imagine. You have five authorizations and you can de-authorize and re-authorize as needed. Worse comes to worst, you get in the queue to speak to someone at Origin and they help you set it right. It's really not a big deal.
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 9:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tuber101
Then you deauthorize the computer and reauthorize - it's not quite the crisis situation you imagine. You have five authorizations and you can de-authorize and re-authorize as needed. Worse comes to worst, you get in the queue to speak to someone at Origin and they help you set it right. It's really not a big deal.

Thanks for this. Nonetheless, it is still unneeded and unnecessary. As shown by others, they are complicating simple things.
Mad Poster
#35 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 11:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tonicmole
Each computer has it's very own IP address. Anyways, no Sims game that I know of has allowed multiple copies to be played at the same time on different PC's. You've always needed the disc. The only way for multiple people to use one copy is actually always broken the EULA.

I know that, but is this origin bs really tracking IPs?
just a girl
#36 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 1:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by queziacristina
CAS Demo does have a desktop icon but it opens Origin as we click on it. Tried to click on the .exe file, same thing happened. It doesn't work like TS3.
Just tried to close Origin while I'm using CAS Demo and nope, I can't close Origin if it's open(it shows a popup asking me to close the game).
Maybe it's just a way to prevent people from installing it on friends PCs?

Thanks for reply. Sounds like the Sims 4 will do the same, if the demo does.

Quote: Originally posted by Hellken

Reinstallation is not a problem, don't worry. You don't need to buy the game again after 5 times you reinstall it. I was afraid of it myself, before I knew how it works. It's up to 3 or 5 simultaneous installations. When you deinstall and install again you have the same amount left, it's not like you "spent" them by reinstalling. At least that's how the Sims 3 works.
Instructor
Original Poster
#37 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 2:19 AM
I installed the game to my account, then popped the disc in my brothers computer, and the game wouldn't let him use the same activation code on his computer. I'm pretty disappointed about that, even though I had a feeling it would happen. We both have to share my account now, meaning only one of us can be online at a time. Soon I'm also going to have to share my account with 2 other siblings. This is going to be a nightmare, but it'll be better than buying 4 separate copies. Pretty pee'd off.

On a different note, so far I'm feeling meh about Sims 4. The camera feels really restricted and zoomed in, so I hope there will be a way to make the view wider.
Alchemist
#38 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 3:41 AM
I know that, but is this origin bs really tracking IPs?

Origin doesn't track IPs, it tracks accounts. For example, leading up to the release of the CAS demo, my 11 year old was constantly logged onto my account waiting for it to show up. We use the same account. whenever I tried to log on I got a message saying the account was in use, but I could start it in offline mode. I believe you have to start TS4 logged into Origin online if I'm not mistaken to authenticate it. If you attempt to start it on 2 computers at the same time I'm guessing you'd get one of those messages. I don't know though, has anyone started TS4 and then logged off Origin to see what happens?
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#39 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 4:36 AM Last edited by porkypine : 3rd Sep 2014 at 4:56 AM.
?? Ok you guys... Knock it off. Quit trying to cheat the system. A single copy of the software is licensed to one person who may use it on a couple of computers, ONE at a TIME. It is not intended for multiple people to use simultaneously. Yes, you need Origin to install it and to download content for the game and to get updates, patches and fixes. You can install it on one machine and let your brother or sister play it, then kick them off when you want to play but you may not install it on several computers so you can all play simultaneously. That is called piracy.

Any talk of how to go about avoiding paying for a copy so multiple people can use the same copy is piracy and not allowed at MTS.
Mad Poster
#40 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 4:41 AM
Would it be possible (or legal) for one of our tech savy simmers to find a way to run the game without Origin? I seriously don't trust that thing. I hate even having to be logged in to play the demo.
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#41 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 4:51 AM
Origin is the tool that delivers updates for the game. You need it to fix bugs and deliver updates. It is not spyware. The only thing it looks for is if you have a valid registration for the game. If your game is legit, then no issue.
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 5:05 AM
I don't know if my input helps but..
I'm on a partitioned Mac. I have Origin and Steam.
Steam knows I'm on a different "computer"... when I first used my Windows partition, and it emailed me a verification code and I have to verify it on the computer, then I saved that "computer" as *myname-PC* or *myname-MAC*.
Origin I think told me that I have to start in offline mode or something.. I was on my old computer and my mac at the same time and all I had to do was log off on my old computer. I'm not sure if it's changed - it's been over 6 months since my old computer died.
I installed SimCity on my Windows side, then installed it on my Mac side and seemed to have no issues.. I eventually uninstalled it from my Windows side because I needed to uninstall Windows but uh.. yeah.
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#43 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 10:09 AM
ok, I am going to close this thread. I think this is a question for EA.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Locked thread | Locked by: leefish Reason: going off topic into areas we dont discuss
Page 2 of 2