Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 12:21 AM
Default Missing Content --> DLC?!
I'm pretty sure we all saw this coming, but still...

Here's what I just found in the process of my hunt for reviews: http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/5646...ded-via-dlc.htm

Brace yourselves, folks. Simpocalypse has only just begun...

The simmer formerly known as Averex
My Claim to Fame
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 12:24 AM
they spice it up again... >_<

"Keep Calm and Play with STYLE"
#My Avatar: Nick Johnson
Download Policy
MrDensilter tumblr account.
Hitman Legacy Challenge
Hitman Challenge MTS
The Green House Challenge
Mad Poster
#3 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 12:25 AM
What do you think the gamepack/expansion surveys were for?

The surveys they did for the Sims 3 matched up to a T. I'm not expecting anything different.
Test Subject
#4 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 12:54 AM
Well I can't say I didn't see this coming. Add-ons and micro transactions are all the rage now. Expansion packs seem to be going the way of the dodo. At least publishers think so. I'm just glad that EA hasn't gone down the path that (Im)Perfect World took when they acquired Star Trek Online. Tons of lock boxes for free, but you need to pay through the nose for the keys, and the chance of getting that shiny thing you wanted... about the same chance you'd find the last unicorn on Mars just strolling down the street.

I'll still dabble with TS4, see what mods there are, and wait to see what Maxis releases for TS4. Still early in things... but I am curious as to what Maxis and EA did to those who's brains they picked when making TS4...
Theorist
#5 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 4:53 AM
If EA allowed people to make personal custom content in exchange for purchased custom content the situation would be more analogous. At least with STO you can theoretically play "gold farmer" long enough and trade in game currencies for those keys. EA doesn't want you to actually play their games. They want your money, so they can head to the shareholder's meeting and say Mission Accomplished.
Instructor
#6 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 4:56 AM
I will note that the article in question is SPECULATING that that is what will happen.
Quote:
However, it is expected that Maxis and EA will bring back these contents via Downloadable Content packages or DLC which require additional costs as if purchasing an expansion pack.

Not that I think they are wrong in their speculation, but I had to point out this is no more solid than our own speculation.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 5:42 AM
I'm pretty positive they'll bring pools back in an update/ep. I'm not so sure about the toddlers. Either way even if it was a bit of a shock not to have them, it's not going to effect my enjoyment of the game that much. Having a stove electrocute my sim to death was far more bothersome.
Test Subject
#8 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 5:53 AM
Sims 3 literally shipped with no seasons, no pets, no supernatural, no late night, and no universities and nobody complained when they released over 10+ expansions and stuff packs. Why is it so different when they release stuff packs/Expansion packs for the Sims 4? It's so obvious they're going to add major features to the Sims in expansions. I mean, the addition of Pets and Seasons in Sims 3 were huge and game changing. Why would you expect any less?

If you read any journalist nonsense, you're likely to go insane. None of those people even know that 4Chan is a website and not a person. DLC is just what everyone goes additional content now.
Test Subject
#9 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 3:08 PM
I think the problem is that EPs are supposed to be just that - EXPANSION packs, which is why most people didn't mind buying them in the past. Showtime is by far my least favourite EP because, to me, it felt more like I was buying a "Part 2 to Late Night" than it's actual own thing. I love(d) Sims 3 and am definitely not fond of 4, but I'll admit that when TS3 released I was quite pissed off at EAxis for cutting out hot tubs and pianos. I knew I'd HAVE to get a EP then to "complete" the classic sims item lineup. But with only two items missing, it felt more like "we forgot because of budget/time". With this, where pretty much half of the "basic The Sims package" is missing, it feels really cheap and obviously money-grabby to me.

I see a lot of people saying "but they'll add it in an EP!", but some things like pools I kind of expect. And that's normal and okay to have franchise expectations, it's only bad when you're demanding and ungrateful (I argue pools since they are literally an icon of the series - ask anybody about The Sims, and most likely the first thing they'll tell you is death by ladder removal). You especially have to add and think of the people who can't afford EPs. I've already heard of some having to save up and work hard to get the $70 Base Game, and I know there are many players out there who've only played TS2 and 3's BGs. I think they deserved more. And I believe if the game had been postponed until 2015, it could have been fine or even great.

Already with an overpriced game, why should EP memory, coding, time, money and creativity go to buying pieces to a finished Base Game instead of actual expansions? That's my issue with the whole debacle, at least.
Scholar
#10 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 3:21 PM
Out of curiosity, are they trying to sell y'all anything yet?
Test Subject
#11 Old 4th Sep 2014 at 12:15 AM
After spending about 5 hours creating my first household, and waiting to see what happens when the household kids go to school I was rather disappointed by the fact there is no bus (kids walk off the porch and POOF! Gone like magic!), and no rabbit hole location for the school. On further investigation there is no city hall, no hospital, the available world is puny, and my first attempt at fishing resulted in a message basically saying my level was too low to fish here, go find another spot stupid.

Kind of feels like I just spent $80 for a demo version of the Sims in an Alpha test phase. I feel let down after playing The Sims, Sims 2, and the Sims 3. Exactly what did I pay $80 for? A half finished game? I just hope future DLC isn't just some half [REDACTED] attempt to add a small handful of goodies to please the masses until the next batch of DLC goodies is released. I want some expansion pack meat. Like the expansion packs for Skyrim, Not some already gnawed on bones of shattered dreams and expectations.