Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#26 Old 10th Feb 2012 at 3:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by KaiRuh
It's a big house. I converted the Viejo home for it. I hadn't even considered doing it in an apartment, but that could definitely work too.

Not sure what the Viejo house is but viejo means old in Spanish xD
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#27 Old 10th Feb 2012 at 3:30 PM
. In my game my Elders are not frumpy and old. They are fit, the men are handsome and the women beautiful. Some are grandparents but they are not live-in maids, butlers and baby sisters. I use the Sim Blender so my elders can have regular jobs. Some are on their second career. Just like in real life, my sims are free to travel, party, date and live their lives after raising children. I have fun with my Elders.
Mad Poster
#28 Old 10th Feb 2012 at 3:43 PM
I play my elders like I play my adults, according to who they are and what their circumstances are. They don't bore me a bit; any sim who does, it's on me, because there's always something interesting to do with them if you find the right way to play each particular sim.

Mary Munny continues to give concerts, cut records, encourage the careers of younger musicians (especially the hot male ones), throw parties, go on outings with "The Girls," and date young men, who (since I got Freetime and aspiration perks) literally line up on the sidewalk for the privilege. It's no unusual for her to go on a dream date in the morning, come home for a nap, and go on another in the afternoon. Her large, tacky house is crammed with date rewards and the walls are lined with photobooth shots of her with her dates. I'm not sure if they're mementos, or she needs help keeping track. She refrained from picking up any natives when her son took her along on a trip to Twikkii Island, but that was because the vacation home only has one double bed and she didn't want to bounce her son and daughter-in-law out of it. She and her grandson Mark have taught most of the neighborhood to hula. She loves her grandchildren, gives them expensive presents, invites them to parties, and jams with them, but living with her son would seriously cramp her style and it's not as if she's any shakes as a cook. If she lives long enough for the boys to graduate college one of them will move in with her to inherit the house and all that money, but if not, both will be donated to the City of Drama Acres for a community center. Any venue with a hot tub, she's likely to show up in it naked, and she often thrills her local fans by turning up at the Convenient Stores to rock the karaoke machine. I normally don't care to play single adults but Mary is such a hoot I don't mind.

Hilary Aerius was always particularly close to her son Greg, and he moved back in with her after he graduated even though she was still an adult at the time. After he and his husband adopted a toddler, she retired as sous chef because she didn't see the sense in hiring a stranger to take care of him when he had a perfectly good grammy on site. She spoiled her cat, cooked astonishing meals, gardened, fished, dated, jumped on the couch, went out with "The Gals," played with toys more than her grandson did, encouraged her grandson to lighten up, and was the life of her son's parties, during one of which, Grim came for her.

Marie and Pierre Curian have always been all-in-all to each other. They have three children, the last born within a day of their turning elder, which they did holding hands in front of his crib. Both have demanding professional lives. Pierre recently achieved his dream of being a game designer, and if they can just hold onto that last friend till their rotation comes up again (always problematic; you invite these two to a party, they'll spend the whole time pillow-fighting each other unless you're mighty slick about influencing them to interact with other people) Marie will hit the top of the Adventurer career path. Marie is writing a novel. They adopted a kitten, but she's mostly the responsibility of their youngest, who is now a teen. Their middle child may move back in with his bride after graduation. They also see a lot of their oldest, Eppie, who lives cattycorner across the street, and Marie's brother's family. Pierre has a running battle with a couple of women he sees as having Done Eppie Wrong, though he's monstrously fat, lazy, and out of shape. They have a small garden and a single fruit tree but their days are so full of other things they've never made a good harvest.

Marie's brother Red Onions and his wife Livva Ann still live very much as they always have. He's a doctor and she's the biggest clotheshorse in Drama Acres. They both love dogs and one of their favorite activities is teaching their sheepdog Sweet tricks. With a fruit tree and fishing hole out front and a substantial garden out back, plus The Girls to go out with, and her drum kit in the party room, Livva Ann never has time to get bored, though she sometimes wishes they had room on the lot for a car and a bubble blower. They see a lot of their daughter and son-in-law and their children, and their son Oliver moved back in on graduation, then married a Simdian girl, Billie, whom Livva Ann is doing her best to bring up to snuff. Everybody takes care of their granddaughter Pearl about equally. Livva Ann tries not to monopolize the cooking so Billie will have a chance to learn more recipes. Livva Ann and Oliver both like to throw parties, and the stereo is always on. When Red gets a little overworked and run down Livva Ann knows just how to perk him up, IYKWIM&ITYD.

Next door at Hawkins Prime, Goz and Kitty Hawkins are spending his retirement as they spent their adulthood, canoodling and raising young 'uns. The only two of their nine children at home are the youngest, Kestrel, and their fourth, Pigeon aka Baby Girl (never mind that she has four younger siblings), who moved back in to relieve Goz of the burden of being breadwinner and head of household after she graduated. She and her husband Ezekial both have fulltime jobs, so Goz and Kitty have plenty to do with their grandchild, keeping the house in running order, gardening, fishing, tending the apple trees, and jumping each other's bones. Kitty is also a terror to her in-laws, but somebody has to keep them up to snuff and keep an eye on how they're raising her precious grandchildren! She and Ezekial can't agree on what color the sky is, so a certain amount of energy is spent on efforts to keep things civil with him. He's teaching her chess. Goz can often be found wandering around community lots doing nothing in particular, and has been known to walk into the houses of total strangers if he hears a child crying. And if he decides to advise you on woohoo technique, I recommend you listen - you will learn something!

Nannie Ghote simmigrated from Simdia with her son and granddaughter. Her son promptly left them both to fend for themselves in an apartment. So Nannie found a job as live-in help to the Munny family while the children were small. She had her own room with a separate bath. A maid took care of most of the cleaning and she did some of the cooking, but for the most part she was there for the kids. When they got older and more independent, she was afraid she'd lose this cushy gig, but the Munnys seemed to regard her in the light of an extra relative and encouraged her to date and get out on her own. At the time of her death she was eagerly awaiting the birth of a grandchild and great-grandchild, was in the middle of sewing a bunch of potholders, and was dating that nice man from the garden club.

Madge Estic still drives herself to work in her sports car every day and is a bit of a workaholic, though she recently went on a vacation to Three Lakes with her husband to remind him exactly why he doesn't want to upset her by carrying on with that floozy. Ever since her nephew caught him cheating she's been keeping him on a short leash and making him like it. She also goes out with "The Girls" and frequently invites her daughter to bring her whole sorority home for dinner. She'll probably die before her daughter graduates, judging by her lifemeter, and her husband should age to elder within a few days of that; at which point the floozy can really come into her own, because I'm pretty sure she and the daughter between them will not allow him a serene old age.

Mary Gavigan was better at having children than her husband was at supporting them, and everybody's been much better off since Isaiah moved them into his big house with his wife. Nathan has a part-time job and he and Mary both enjoy being grandparents. Nathan also took up gardening and they have a dog and a cat. Mary does most of the cooking. She and Nathan date pretty heavily now that there's some slack in the schedule, too. Apart from that, Mary doesn't go out much; but she'll invite Kitty Hawkins and her family over all the time, especially since her boy Ezekial married Kitty's Baby Girl Pigeon. She tries to encourage Ezekial to be nicer to Kitty, but it's uphill work.

Peter and Samantha Ottomas are still working and woohooing, with only one child left at home. Peter is writing a sports romance and hopes to be able to retire soon. I've always been so busy with the kids in this household that I never have done much with the parents, but now there's no chaos that may change. Samantha should at least get more involved in the youngest girl's life, though it may be too late for that to be anything more than interference, and I may be able to carve out some time for her to make some friends outside her family. I expect her to be on hand to chaperone her daughter's parties. Peter has a couple of outside friends. They're the closest I have to boring elders, and it's not that there's nothing for them to do - it's that I haven't done things with them.

Abuela Iana simmigrated with her daughter-in-law Luz and four grandchildren (her son Lou got lost on the way and frankly? Good riddance.) At first she stayed in the little apartment downtown raising the toddler. When he started school she got a Chihuahua to look after. Keeping that apartment sanitary with all those people in it was a fulltime challenge, but by the time the youngest was in school she had time to get out more. At the time of her death she was engaged and planning a double wedding with her granddaughter. Subsequently, Luz got pregnant, married, had a baby, and aged to elder on the day the baby turned to toddler. At the moment she's still got a job as a roadie, and she doesn't want to retire, but - can she physically manage it all? Her children by her first marriage are all grown and two are in college, but her much younger - and sexually voracious - husband may render it unnecessary for any of them to move back in. A lot depends on circumstances. Will she roll a want to retire? Will her husband quit his job to stay home with the kid? Will she or any of her children catch him on a side date? I've got a lot of suspense for this household. No idea how it's going to work out.

Finally, Eneida and Miguel Casa also simmigrated as part of an extended family, living in a two-bedroom, one-bath apartment with two adults and a full range of grandchildren. Eneida and her daughter Sue were run off their feet keeping the place clean and riding herd on the kids. Miguel worked part time at Taco Hell, which enabled him to be actively involved with his grandchildren and to take his wife out on the town when she got low. Which was fairly often. He died in the Llama Flu epidemic, causing Eneida to go into aspiration failure, but generating enough insurance money for the family to buy a house. Eneida, prescribed happy pills, got a little senile and became convinced that Miguel had gone back to Guasimala on a visit and would be home any day now. She was just starting to get out and make friends of her own when the Grim Reaper came for her, too.

It's not as if they lose their storylines when they get old. They're still the same people they've always been.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 10th Feb 2012 at 6:22 PM
The few elders I have played I fulfill vacation memories, get badges in gardening and tinkering and were GREAT an imparting knowledge to younger ones in the house. If I feel they've been around long enough and the Grim Reaper and Hula Girls haven't visited them yet, I move them out.... Have them try a new neighborhood and meet new friends etc.
Instructor
#30 Old 10th Feb 2012 at 6:42 PM
I am at the moment playing a neighborhood through the 'years' starting at the 50s. (every ten Sim household rotations = 10 years for me) I actually have fun with the elders because once they get old, they start remembering their years from when they were young etc, and their houses/apartments can be redecorated into a style that would suit their tastes. It helps me to have a lot of variety. I like keeping my elders old because I think of my grandma So I give them old fashioned stuff/clothes, and they do old fashion things, and rarely have a TV in their house.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#31 Old 10th Feb 2012 at 6:57 PM
I'm kind of like Lilsister and Peni here - except my elders sometimes go mad and do all the things they wanted to do when they were adults but couldn't because of work and raising children.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Field Researcher
#32 Old 10th Feb 2012 at 7:21 PM
I generally have the first kid to return home when none of their siblings are there move in with their parents. (I have no 20k handouts, and my sims always seem to amass vast fortunes while raising kids. A bit annoying really. So I have college students nip home to get a bit of extra cash before getting their own house.) Then I have the elders retire after they've achieved their ltw, and used up all their vacation days. Unless they want six grandkids, and then they retire the second their first kid graduates, so they can be on hand to be called over to visit when babies are being born. After that, they work on their hobbies, repair friendships, make friends with relatives they've never really been in touch with, and look after the house and grandkids. Unless they roll the wants though, they don't teach the grandkids their skills, especially not potty training. They did that for their kids, now it's their kids turn.
Field Researcher
#33 Old 10th Feb 2012 at 8:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gcgb53191
Not sure what the Viejo house is but viejo means old in Spanish xD

..oh, what a great coincidence! x)
The Viejos are one of the families shipped with RH. I moved out the Martins and expanded on the house to give it more bedrooms and such. It has two large living areas, so it has a pretty good communal feel, I think.

Also, while I'm back in this thread.. I forgot to mention that the elder stage is when my Sims really start to pursue their hobbies. They usually do a little throughout their lives, but without work and such to distract them, they can dedicate their full attention to sculpting, gardening, etc. once they age up to elder.
Scholar
#34 Old 11th Feb 2012 at 1:25 AM
My elders are just extended adults, with an older appearance. They stay in their job positions until theyre a few days away from death, although occasionally they'll retire earlier. If they dont have a job or is retired, they might still open up a business. I tend to have them live with their children's family more than just having them live by themselves. They help out with the grandkids and around the house, nothing too different really.
Scholar
#35 Old 11th Feb 2012 at 2:21 AM
Kill them.
Mad Poster
#36 Old 11th Feb 2012 at 2:41 AM
I don't like playing elders by themselves because for one thing, when they die, all their family funds are lost.

Of course, one could work around it...say they were worth $50K at death, had two children, just use family funds to increase each family's funds by $25K....

Who is Q? qanon.pub
Page 2 of 2