Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Jan 2016 at 5:05 AM Last edited by gummilutt : 18th Jan 2016 at 5:29 AM.
Default Bounding box problems
Hello everyone. I'm working on a project that has forced me to go into the object creation field, and I have zero experience here. So far I've been able to solve things by looking at tutorials and consulting friends, but I can't find much on this topic, so I thought I'd see if any of you can help me out.

I am making a smaller version of a maxis object, and I've managed to reduce the footprint to one tile. But the thumbnail of the object remains blank (yes, I've regenerated it) and while the object is visually in the right place, the game does not see the object where I see it. To grab it, I have to click on the edge of the tile rather than the middle. Weirdly enough, I can still click the object where I see it to get the pie menu. Phaenoh suggested this is due to a bounding box problem, so I've been trying to find information about it.

I found this post and HugeLunatic post makes it sound like I could make it re-create the bounding box somehow, but I don't entirely understand in which program I am supposed to do the exporting and importing. I tried SimPE, but it actually made things worse as the pie menu now only appears if I click the edge of the tile.

Any advice or links to tutorials that explain how to fix bounding boxes would be most appreciated.

EDIT: I figure while I'm here I might as well ask about footprints to make sure I didn't do something totally stupid. My object did not have multiple OBJDs or anything else, just the one, so Numenors tutorial didn't tell me much. I tried to reverse engineer a tutorial on adding footprint tiles, and modified the CRES array to zero on everything (since I want 1 tile). The binary number and the draw shape I copied from a decorative object that is the same size as my object. Any reason why that is a bad idea?

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Advertisement
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#2 Old 18th Jan 2016 at 7:02 AM
To fix the bounding box - open the object in SimPE. Click the GMDC and on the Model tab you'll see "clear" - click that and it will clear the bounding box. Then go to the Groups tab, click on the subset you want included in the bounding box then click "add to bounding mesh". (You'll probably want to do this to each subset EXCEPT shadows - unless you have a good reason you want to limit where you can grab or click on an object in game.) Commit and save when done.

To fix thumbnails that CTRL+Clicking in game doesn't fix: Click the CRES then the Blocklist. (Not the CRES heirarchy.) Look for "Thumbnail extension" in the dropdown and click on it. If there is an entry in the Items box, click on it and then delete. Commit and save. The game should then have the correct thumbnail the next time you load your game. (If your object is bigger or smaller than the object you cloned, the thumbnail will usually be wrong and regenerating it in game won't fix it. This *will* fix it IF there is anything in the Items box for you to delete.

Your footprint edit: I'm not sure exactly what you did. I haven't run into any Maxis objects that are larger than 1 tile and didn't have multiple OBJDs/etc to edit. (Custom objects? Yes. I've plenty of decorative objects that are larger than 1 tile and are just centered on it OR take up just 1 of the tiles. Annoying and I should fix those objects some day!)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Jan 2016 at 7:08 AM Last edited by gummilutt : 19th Jan 2016 at 9:59 AM.
I found a post by Numenor suggesting that feature, but the resulting package crashes the game. I tried both doing it to all subsets, and only one of them. I'll try the CRES thing for thumbnail and report back.

I guess I might as well say what I'm doing. I'm silly and don't like sharing too much information about my projects until they are done. I want to create miniature versions of Maxis cars, that still count as cars and can be assigned an owner. The idea is that you can use them to not get the carpool for specific Sims, if you don't want one for some reason. I cloned the maxis Smoogo Minima, and replaced the mesh with SimFused tiny version (with permission, of course). I don't know why cars don't have multiple OBJDs despite having big footprints, but I guess it has something to do with them being cars.

EDIT: Removing the item in CRES did the trick, the thumbnail now shows a small car. Thank you!
I thought I should also add that I've gotten the car aspect of it to work, making it use a custom pie menu rather than semi global one, which only has the option to change owner. I've also slaved the tiny one to the big one, so that it uses it's textures. The only thing left to do is to the footprint, this bounding box problem that surfaced, and detaching it from driveways and instead accept placement on shelves.

EDIT2: NixNivis suggested adding a "do NOT use Maya model footprint" to function - init bhav, and that changed the footprint to one tile without editing CRES. Does not fix bounding box issue, but I imagine it's a better fix for footprint than what I did.

EDIT3: NixNivis also explained how the Function - Init works, and thanks to that I was able to change the flags and un-tie it from driveway, and allow placement on all surface-types. Only thing missing now is the bounding box.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.