Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jan 2014 at 7:20 PM
Default The Sims Castaway Stories Not Launching
So I decided to post this on the Sims 2, since the Sims Stories is similarly styled. If there is a Sims Stories section of Mod The Sims, please point me in that direction. I installed The Sims Castaway Stories on my Mac Mini (I believe the Mac is from 2009.) and the game will say that it is launching, (the little light will shine under the app) but no game will open. The disc eventually stops whirring and then the "opened" application will just sit there. Should I have installed it in Applications and not the hard disk? Please help, I doubt asking EA will get me anywhere. Thanks!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 5th Jan 2014 at 7:54 PM
Stories section: https://www.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=674

There's also some info on macs and the Stories games here: http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/The_Sims_Stories
Sounds like if you've got the wrong MacOS the games might not be able to run.
Theorist
#3 Old 5th Jan 2014 at 11:38 PM
If you are using Snow Leopard or higher, you may indeed have to install it under Applications. That's where I have to install my Sims 2 on my 2006 iMac running Snow Leopard. However, lots of Mac Minis have integrated graphics chips (by Intel), which TS2 will melt sooner or later. I don't know if the Stories games are as much of a drain on resources as the full games, but you should probably be aware that there is potential for a problem there.

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Mad Poster
#4 Old 6th Jan 2014 at 1:30 AM
My Castaway Stories and Pet Stories refused to work until I ran them under Windows XP compatibility mode. What version of Windows do you have?
Test Subject
#5 Old 6th Jan 2014 at 2:16 AM
I don't have a Mac so i don't know if will help or not...on my computer I have to put in the Castaway (and Pet Stories too) disk, then I have to click on a shortcut to the game's exe I have on my desktop. And if I get the timing right the game starts up. Life Stories starts by itself. I also have to do this to get SimCity4 started. I have no idea why.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 6th Jan 2014 at 8:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by esmeiolanthe
If you are using Snow Leopard or higher, you may indeed have to install it under Applications. That's where I have to install my Sims 2 on my 2006 iMac running Snow Leopard. However, lots of Mac Minis have integrated graphics chips (by Intel), which TS2 will melt sooner or later. I don't know if the Stories games are as much of a drain on resources as the full games, but you should probably be aware that there is potential for a problem there.

The Stories games were designed to be able to run on a laptop, but that doesn't mean all kinds of laptops (or macbooks, or mac minis, or whatever) are fully able to run it. You should check the back of the case and compare the requirements to the computer/mac you're trying to run it on.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 11th Jan 2014 at 11:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
My Castaway Stories and Pet Stories refused to work until I ran them under Windows XP compatibility mode. What version of Windows do you have?

I have Mac OS X Snow Leopard.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 11th Jan 2014 at 11:42 PM
Thanks for all the responses! I shall check my requirements, and maybe try installing this on a different computer.
Instructor
#9 Old 28th Mar 2014 at 10:48 PM
Sadly I mistakenly uninstalled my castaway stories.... and even worse, my disc got into the hands of some toddler family members and theres a small crack in the disc, and ive tried installing over 30 times, and it starts and stops half way or says its complete at 1%. It will not work again!! Im so sad,
i will have to buy another disc.. unless by a miracle it works one day.. Ill have to try it on another computer though..thanks for that suggestion