Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#26 Old 22nd Jan 2015 at 8:34 PM
Also, there were many like myself that would have the launcher just crash. It made it so difficult to even uninstall anything because I couldn't get to it. Packages are simply easier. Ever since getting my computer wiped and upgraded to 64bit, i'm only using the launcher for worlds and pets.
Advertisement
Theorist
#27 Old 23rd Jan 2015 at 4:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by losail27
I converted all my Sims3packs into packages and merged all off them but my game didn't load faster. Do I have to delete anything else? I think that I don't have dbc files and the CCBackup folder is empty.

I did that once a long time ago and I found that if you converted any EA Store items into .package files and merged them, your game should load in about a week. It took me 3 hours to load up my game when I did this. Once I got in the game, it took at least an hour in build/buy mode.. and that's tor build/buy mode to load. I took it all out, reinstalled all EA store items as sims3packs and only converted and merged 3rd party CC into package files. Haven't had that long ass loading time ever again.

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 23rd Jan 2015 at 11:17 AM
lisfyre: When I converted the .sim3packs I was very careful to not convert any store items/ clothes/ hair.

Belzader: My library folder is pretty small.
Site Helper
#29 Old 23rd Jan 2015 at 8:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by losail27
I converted all my Sims3packs into packages and merged all off them but my game didn't load faster. Do I have to delete anything else? I think that I don't have dbc files and the CCBackup folder is empty.

The more you give the game to load, the longer the game will take to load it. Converting Sims 3 packs and then merging them is just about exactly what the launcher does with them, so unless you had several hundred megabytes of CC that shared resources, I'm not too surprised that you didn't see much difference in loading time. The best thing to delete now would be any CC that you don't really use, and anything that turns out to be for the wrong game.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Alchemist
#30 Old 23rd Jan 2015 at 10:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lisfyre
I did that once a long time ago and I found that if you converted any EA Store items into .package files and merged them, your game should load in about a week. It took me 3 hours to load up my game when I did this. Once I got in the game, it took at least an hour in build/buy mode.. and that's tor build/buy mode to load. I took it all out, reinstalled all EA store items as sims3packs and only converted and merged 3rd party CC into package files. Haven't had that long ass loading time ever again.
I have Store hair and objects in my game, all in package format, and I've never had this issue. Did you run the sims3packs through S3RC first before converting them to packages?
I do it like this because if I just convert the sims3packs, their thumbnails and in-game blurbs will be deleted, for some reason.
Note that, for some reason, this only applies to sims3packs from the Store.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#31 Old 23rd Jan 2015 at 10:36 PM
In addition, every Store set contains an additional file that marks the whole set. It is a regular package and usually some incomplete object that contains the set's information, thumbnail and what not. This file should be deleted. I had longer loading times and sometimes even stalled loading when I had this file in my packages folders.
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 23rd Jan 2015 at 10:53 PM
I've always had my loading improved by merging all the files (except the ones that shouldn't be, like worlds and stuff, obviously). I mean as I've mentioned elsewhere, I have over 8 thousand sims3packs and packages merged into a couple dozen package files, a few of these things store content. I have no idea how merging them wouldn't make your game not run even marginally faster, lisfyre It starts making a huge difference when you have over three thousand, I know for a fact

Package files for life!

EDIT: Though, for the savvy Simmer, never do this. It's way too late for me to go picking out crap I don't need because I am lazy.
Mad Poster
#33 Old 24th Jan 2015 at 8:06 AM
I've kept some things as Sims 3 Packs though I've converted a lot of TSR CC into package files and installed it in the Packages folder inside my Mods folder. I've got two sets of mailboxes from TSR installed as package files and quite a few sets from there are in as package files.
Instructor
#34 Old 24th Jan 2015 at 4:46 PM
i prefer packages, cuz they are easier to find and delete, you can merge them... i only install worlds as sims3pack

I need a cigarette
Field Researcher
#35 Old 26th Jan 2015 at 5:56 PM Last edited by simb0t : 26th Jan 2015 at 7:26 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by nikel23
The thing about sims3pack is that they're installed in your DCCache folder as a .dbc file, which can't be viewed with S3PE. Worse, even if you uninstall an item, the .dbc file will not get reduced anyhow. It will eventually bloat the memory.

I didn't realize this, and it just made me rethink how I setup my regular play game file.

I have over 7 GB of store content that I keep in sims3packs (though I guess I should get around to decrapifying it). Otherwise, I've been pretty good about keeping other custom content in .package format (which is another ~3-4 GB at this point, sheesh). I tend to merge a lot of these into mega package files by theme or creator. Scripted objects and mods I leave as individual files, since I'm afraid it'll break 'em (and they sometimes need more frequent updating).

However, I'm also a bit of a custom world fiend, so I frequently load up and test out new worlds using the launcher, and if I see them as a good future world/vacation spot, I'll keep them. But mostly I just end up immediately removing them. Now I realize they're still bloating up my memory.

I had already spent this weekend setting up a new The Sims 3 Documents directory for some CAW fun, so when I switched back to play mode, I decided to start installing custom worlds in the manner described here in the Wiki, where they're installed as .WORLD files in \Program Files (x86)\The Sims 3\Game Data\Shared\NonPackaged\Worlds.

I'm not sure yet if that will reduce some of the bloat, but I'll keep an eye on it as I load 'em up.
Top Secret Researcher
#36 Old 26th Jan 2015 at 8:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lisfyre

Yep, I found no benefit to converting store content to packages. I just leave 'em as sims3pack.
Quote: Originally posted by nikel23
The thing about sims3pack is that they're installed in your DCCache folder as a .dbc file, which can't be viewed with S3PE. Worse, even if you uninstall an item, the .dbc file will not get reduced anyhow. It will eventually bloat the memory.

I took a sledgehammer approach to cleaning those up. (Note that I only have store content installed as sims3packs.) Using the launcher, uninstall and then delete any undesirable content that the launcher sees. Make sure any unwanted files are deleted from downloads. Then uninstall, but not delete any content (reemphasize that I'm referring to my store content) you do want to keep. Delete everything in DCCache. (Backup subdirectory should be checked to see that it is empty.) Reinstall. Now, the only data in DCCache should be for the content you want. At this point in the life cycle of TS3 (Yay! No more EPs/SPs/patches/store suff!), even my DCCache is stable as everything I add to my game that is not from the store goes in as a package.

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
Theorist
#37 Old 26th Jan 2015 at 9:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sweetdevil
I have Store hair and objects in my game, all in package format, and I've never had this issue. Did you run the sims3packs through S3RC first before converting them to packages?
I do it like this because if I just convert the sims3packs, their thumbnails and in-game blurbs will be deleted, for some reason.
Note that, for some reason, this only applies to sims3packs from the Store.

No I didn't bother. I don't have a lot of store items to begin with so in the end, I was/am fine leaving them as sims3packs. I have a lot more 3rd party CC and most of that is in .package format with the exception of kitchen counters and items that creators specifically tell you to keep as sims3packs.

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Instructor
#38 Old 28th Jan 2015 at 2:14 PM
Just recently installed Sims 3 again (finally on a computer that can handle it) and was seriously considering converting all my store content (loads) to package files and installing them with CC Magic so I could put them in folders with corresponding set names to easily find specific things and uninstall later if I so wished. The launcher is just the worst for weeding out unwanted items and actually, completely uninstalling them from your game. It's like EA didn't comprehend how much content they would release over the game's lifespan when they designed the launcher, it really is the worst jumble of unsorted crap imaginable! Now that I've read this thread though, not so sure it's worth the effort.

But just out of curiosity, what happens if a lot/world with legit store content run through s3rc and converted to .packages is shared and downloaded by someone with the store content installed as .sims3pack, would that be fine?
Forum Resident
#39 Old 29th Jan 2015 at 6:25 AM
In general if one have something as both sims3pack (installed) & as .package, nothing more will happen then that one will have duplicate.

I want my Space Pony title back.. why was it there such a short time..
dodgy builder
#40 Old 29th Jan 2015 at 9:44 AM
It has been mentioned earlier in this thread problems with converting store content to sims3pack. Usually for regular converted CC into package files, also mentioned earlier, it can show up as duplicates in CUSTARD and such. I have to take a shower, so I can't find the right quote at the moment, sorry

I have also had some troubles with converting TSR probably the workshop made content, when converted to package files several of the items arn't available in the game. That's probably to do with people who don't know about it's limitations, but I know that and my downloaders will install it as S3P anyway. Bloody annoying, all that work for nothing.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#41 Old 29th Jan 2015 at 10:39 AM
I have converted almost all of my Store stuff to packages and haven't encountered anything particularly problematic as opposed to leaving it as sims3pack. The only things I did not convert are worlds, premium content, some venues, counters and everything that is modular like counters, such as sectional sofas, columns, playground swings or overhead cabinets. And possibly bathtubs and beds (see below).
In addition to the disadvantages that I listed above (preferably refrain from sharing something as sims3pack that is built or made with converted Store stuff) there is also the issue that converted Store stuff does not draw any updates from the Store content patches. You will either have to break apart the Store patch and add the relevant changes manually to the package with S3PE or probably place the whole Store patch in the Override folder. I'm still in the process of doing the manual changes but it's very time consuming because the Store patches made a lot of changes to CAS items and objects to make them compatible with Pets and Seasons.
Most noticeable is that all converted Store bathtubs and beds are not compatible with Pets anymore and I had to manually edit them to add the new _Rig information, change the OBJD and add additional slots. If that sounds like too much work, you'd better keep bathtubs and beds as sims3pack, too.

And as regards sharing compatibility, if you don't decrapify and only use the compressoriser sharing a lot with someone who has those items installed as sims3pack shouldn't pose a problem. The game should recognise the references. At least it does the other way around, i.e. when I install a lot that lists Store items that I own, the lot still has them in place when I add it to my game.

I am still quite glad that I did convert it, because it gave me an opportunity to "fix" several items, like expensive beds that have a bad rating or adding several Store fixes that I used to have as separate mods to the package itself and make my own personal outerwear selection by editing the CASP resources inside the package and removing the dreaded "Valid For Random" flag from most CAS items.
Instructor
#42 Old 29th Jan 2015 at 12:19 PM
Thanks for the replies particularly about the game recognising the references between the same items installed as .package and .sims3pack format and not replacing objects with base game stuff, that's what I was wondering about mostly. It does seem like things could get messy/confusing with having to split up what gets converted and what gets installed through the launcher, I'd rather do all or nothing. Looks like I will be sticking with the lousy launcher for the store stuff. Thanks for the help.

OT: Oh and BTW @Don_Babilon, there's this mod http://modthesims.info/d/413329 for the bed energy rating if you weren't already aware, you can set the energy rating of every bed to be the same and alter that level quickly in game whenever you like, so useful! Might save you some trouble doing that externally.
dodgy builder
#43 Old 29th Jan 2015 at 4:04 PM
Very useful information thanks.

Making store items package and sharing them isn't allowed either, since they cost money it's stealing, not unless EA close down their store at least, then I guess they can't really complain about it. At least I'm going to stay off making package files out of store items as well. Too much work if I can't share it, and no reason to expect anyone else doing it either.

I don't understand this decrapifying you talk about. I'm using Delphy's multi-pack program. Do I need a different program for the decrapitying then? I've been sharing lots like I'm making everything into package files as it doesn't really matter to me. Most of the time my sim can still make food on it, and if she can't I'm just testing anyway. The downloader can then choose how to do it, package files or S3P.
Page 2 of 2