Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Sockpuppet
#26 Old 20th Jun 2012 at 8:35 AM
I always map everything by hand in Milkshape(im old fashion....)
Then bake in Blender.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#27 Old 20th Jun 2012 at 10:37 AM Last edited by MarcusSims91 : 20th Jun 2012 at 10:51 AM.
Can I send you that sofa and you show me how you would map it?If its not too complex.The arm part is a little wonky because I put alot of modifiers on trying to get a cloth look then use pro optimizer to lower the vertices.I can change it.
It sucks knowing how to mesh but cant texture haha.
Sockpuppet
#28 Old 20th Jun 2012 at 12:46 PM
i think i have seen the sofa before and to be honest i dont think you meshed it yourself, did you?
Anyway, you basicly regroup each angle in a diffrent meshgroup(front, back, left, right, top and bottom.) and then uvmap them.
You might have to split up each individual meshgroup again if parts overlap eachother on the map.

You should do this with your high polygon one and when done you optimize the facecount before regrouping them into one.(you do need to weld the groups before optimizing to avoid gaps)
That way you keep the seams at the correct spot and makes it much easier to alligne the normals afterwards.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#29 Old 20th Jun 2012 at 10:31 PM
yea its a Le Corbusier Sofa I made it in 3ds max, im making the whole set love seat etc for my next house.Its only chamferboxes and cylinders lol.The other sofa I didnt make 100% I got the cushion part from another 3d model.
Thats basically what I did,instead of putting each angle in 1 meshgroup I put each angle from all the parts in their own meshgroup so that they dont overlap in the map or it would be easier to separate them in the map.After looking at it I think I split them wrong.Im remaking the arm parts because they were hard to split.Its not very high poly so do I still need to optimize the facecount ?
Alchemist
#30 Old 21st Jun 2012 at 1:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MarcusSims91
I tried to open that sofa in tsrw and it crashed...

yea its a Le Corbusier Sofa I made it in 3ds max, im making the whole set love seat etc for my next house.Its only chamferboxes and cylinders lol.The other sofa I didnt make 100% I got the cushion part from another 3d model.
Thats basically what I did,instead of putting each angle in 1 meshgroup I put each angle from all the parts in their own meshgroup so that they dont overlap in the map or it would be easier to separate them in the map.After looking at it I think I split them wrong.Im remaking the arm parts because they were hard to split.Its not very high poly so do I still need to optimize the facecount ?
It isn't surprising to me that tsrw crashed...that's a common complaint with that tool even when trying to open an object that works in game just fine. You might have better luck using S3PE which is far more reliable

To split things in MS you can select faces and regroup. Once you have them all split then map them in separate places and regroup them back into one before baking. Remember, what you're trying to accomplish is having things which require different levels of shadow in different places on the map. Parts that will have the same level of shadow can be in the same place. Parts that don't show can all share the same place on the map and occupy a very small place on the map.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#31 Old 21st Jun 2012 at 1:53 AM
Yea I remember I used S3PE too but the map of you chair didnt show in uv mapper.
Also I split them in MS but im not sure if I placed the on the map right.Heres the obj http://www.mediafire.com/?22cyi8fcgcb4mgj
I just remade the sofa so that itl be easier to split.Thats what im doing now in MS.
Alchemist
#32 Old 21st Jun 2012 at 2:28 AM
Yea I remember I used S3PE too but the map of you chair didnt show in uv mapper.
Also I split them in MS but im not sure if I placed the on the map right.Heres the obj http://www.mediafire.com/?22cyi8fcgcb4mgj
I just remade the sofa so that itl be easier to split.Thats what im doing now in MS.
Look at the map in MS so you can see how to do yours in MS. I posted it as an example of how to do that correctly...I don't use UV Mapper and see no reason to tbh...I use MS and it works just fine.
Alchemist
#33 Old 21st Jun 2012 at 2:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
Look at the map in MS so you can see how to do yours in MS. I posted it as an example of how to do that correctly...I don't use UV Mapper and see no reason to tbh...I use MS and it works just fine.
Also, I tried that link and it tried to give me a virus...I cannot download your .obj and that is not a safe link.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#34 Old 21st Jun 2012 at 3:05 AM
Alright.I dont know how to map using MS so I guess thats why im so confused.Even after seeing how you did it.
A virus ? Thats weird try this
maybe your computer read the obj as virus.Or do you mean mediafire tried to give you a virus ?
Attached files:
File Type: rar  New folder.rar (79.0 KB, 5 downloads) - View custom content
Sockpuppet
#35 Old 21st Jun 2012 at 8:40 AM
TSRW never crashes......i throws up a a error but i never seen it crash.
After ignoring it you can load your object just fine.(unless its not build properly)
TSRW always throws up a error on files cloned with S3OC because both use a diffrent setup for the STBL files, just ignore it and continue.
It will generate new STBL's.
Alchemist
#36 Old 21st Jun 2012 at 4:18 PM
Alright.I dont know how to map using MS so I guess thats why im so confused.Even after seeing how you did it.
A virus ? Thats weird try this
maybe your computer read the obj as virus.Or do you mean mediafire tried to give you a virus ?
Mediafire tried to give me a virus and it isn't the first time I've had that happen trying to download links people have posted there. I wrote a start to finish object making tutorial that includes a section showing how to map with Milkshape. That step is here:

http://www.den.simlogical.com/denfo...php?topic=821.0

Mapping with MS is actually very easy and straightforward.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#37 Old 22nd Jun 2012 at 6:39 AM
Thanks OM il check it out.
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
TSRW never crashes......i throws up a a error but i never seen it crash.
After ignoring it you can load your object just fine.(unless its not build properly)
TSRW always throws up a error on files cloned with S3OC because both use a diffrent setup for the STBL files, just ignore it and continue.
It will generate new STBL's.

Yea in the previous version of tsrw I would always ignore but eventually it just stopped opening and I had to reinstall so now when a error comes up I close it because I dont want to mess anything up.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#38 Old 25th Jun 2012 at 1:18 AM Last edited by MarcusSims91 : 25th Jun 2012 at 1:38 AM.
Im having a bit of trouble translating that tutorial to my sofa.
In that link that was the wrong sofa.I just wanted someone to check out how it was mapped.I split all of the faces.
Edit:I just made a simple box and baked it.I think my problem with the sofa was I split the faces wrong.
Also OM when I click image in Blender to save the Multiplier I dont see the DDS option at the top.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Le Corbusier sofatest3.rar (121.0 KB, 6 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#39 Old 25th Jun 2012 at 10:26 PM Last edited by MarcusSims91 : 26th Jun 2012 at 12:12 AM.
Edit here are the final results.I can edit the rest.And I will remap it
How ever the multiplier is very pixelated.I think its because I save the image as BMP in blender and convert to dds in Paint.net.I downloaded all of cmo blender tools and placed them in the right folders.( i hope)
Screenshots
Alchemist
#40 Old 26th Jun 2012 at 11:51 AM
Cmo made an addon that will allow you to save your mulitplier as a .dds in Blender. If you install that it should improve the quality of your saved image. It's here:

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=458513

It will work for Blender 2.61 and up.
Sockpuppet
#41 Old 26th Jun 2012 at 12:03 PM
your tiling is way to high, wat is your texture size?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#42 Old 27th Jun 2012 at 2:50 AM
Yea I know thats why I said I will remap everything because I didnt use all of the map.But I was just trying to see if that was causing the multiplier to be blurry.
Its 512x1024 is that right size ?I think the chair is about 3 tiles wide.Havent put it in the game yet.
Sockpuppet
#43 Old 27th Jun 2012 at 2:54 AM
512x512 is a 2x2 tiling, you can check for yourself how patterns will look on it.
There are a few tricks to have a larger tiling with a small texture, maybe will write a tut about it
but if its a large sofa then switch to a 1024x102
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#44 Old 27th Jun 2012 at 3:51 AM
Thanks,do you mean 1024x128 ?I cant put 102 in EZ bake,Or does that even matter ?
Sockpuppet
#45 Old 27th Jun 2012 at 4:11 AM
no, 1024x1024 srry
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#46 Old 27th Jun 2012 at 4:16 AM
Oh haha i thought you found a secret trick or something.Thanks and the more texture tutorials the better.
Sockpuppet
#47 Old 27th Jun 2012 at 11:04 AM
The trick is if you have meshparts were the height is much bigger then the width you can uvmap those outside the uvmap.
Have a look at the meshes of the 3x1 window.
I have to warn you that tsrw will not accept uvcoordinates outside the map.
Here is a tut that explains it how to do it with tsrw: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=478963
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#48 Old 28th Jun 2012 at 5:48 AM
Thanks il check that out.
I managed to get the multiplier look alright.
However I have 2 problems
1.the multiplier is still blurry.My textures arent.In Blender I export the DDS in DXT1 No alpha

2.I tried to make a specular so that only the shiny materials would be shiny.

Im not sure how the final map is suppose to look.I just looked at the specular in photoshop and my alpha was white so I think thats what caused the shine.
Is this how its suppose to look ?
Screenshots
Sockpuppet
#49 Old 28th Jun 2012 at 12:57 PM
it depends a little, there are 2 specular formats, dxt5interpolatedalpha and dxt1noalpha.
Follow the setup of the original is my advice.
Page 2 of 2