Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 2:20 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Investigator does not get cases
My sim has become an investigator however she has never got a case/does not have the option to do cases on the computer. I tried sending her to the police station to do low level police work but still she never gets a case. She gets a random phone call daily but she shakes her head and hangs up immediately so I never managed to figure out if she is actually being offered a case or not. This is really ticking me off since she is now in Level 3.
This is the first time I have a sim who is an investigator.

Any kind of help would be appreciated.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 3:17 PM
i remember having sometimes problems with cases in that career - but only few that couldnt be solved NOT that one couldnt manage to obtain work at all.
so my suggestions:
1. are you patched? try if patching to 1.67 helps if you didnt do that already. a lot of bugs were adressed by patches. Game Help:TS3 Patching:Patch Download
but: sadly some EP related bugs still persist and many careers remained to different degrees buggy

2. are you using third party mods (hacks) that possibly could stand in conflict to that career? "possible" could be every mod (hack) sadly... the only way to find that out is to remove hack-mods from your game, clear the scripCache and give the investigator a go (preferably in a new save - called test?). if anythings ok then you need to find out which mod (mods) is (are) causing this problem. try the 50% method mentioned here to get the cc back in smaller pieces and test. Game Help:TS3 Finding Problem Custom Content and Game Help:Sims 3 Delete Cache Files

3. also this guide is nice for further information on Investigators: The Sims 3 Private Investigator in Ambitions Traits, Types of Cases, and Helpful Information ... maybe the "helpful information" aspect has a solution? i couldnt read it all

<< ... too old-fashioned to die young-fashioned >>
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Sep 2014 at 10:54 PM
Hi, thank you for your immediate reponse. I tried moving my mods into another file since I am patched with 1.67 but I still did not get the search for an investigator case option on the computer. Eventually I started another game with a new family and made my sim an investigator. This time there was the option to search for a case on the computer so maybe there was some type of bug with that particular family? Anyway, I am happy that now I can actually try to solve a case
Thanks for your help!

Btw, I did have a look at that guide but there's nothing about this particular bug.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 9:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by emerald.droplet
(...) I started another game with a new family and made my sim an investigator. This time there was the option to search for a case on the computer so maybe there was some type of bug with that particular family? Btw, I did have a look at that guide but there's nothing about this particular bug.

the older save: you know everything is possible sadly. maybe the sim/household is glitchy. you can try to reset that certain sim and see if that helps. How do I reset my Sim and what does that do ?

also in the meantime i took a closer look on the guide and yes: the bug isnt adressed there with a single word... so sorry that wasnt helpful at all.

finally i am very happy the glitch is NOT occurring in newer saves! thats good to hear

<< ... too old-fashioned to die young-fashioned >>
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 10:54 PM
One of the patches broke many of the Ambitions careers, particularly Ghostbuster, PI, and Firefighter. Sometimes they work, sometimes not. The only help that I know of is to quit job, save, end game, relaunch, rejoin career. The career can work correctly and then stop, and then be okay again. You can always cheat up the career experience to be promoted. Sometimes that resets things. It is wrong that they keep selling that EP when it doesn't work properly anymore.

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo