Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Aug 2012 at 10:49 AM
Default sharp edges/edge split modifier
Just a quick question about stuff I'm not really sure about:

The game shades everything smooth, right? Even if I didn't set any faces to "shade smooth" in Blender? So to get sharp edges I have to split them either by edge split modifier or by ripping the vertices.

I just wanted to be sure before I produced a bunch of objects with way to many unnecessary vertices... I think it worked differently for Sims 2? Or the importing/exporting did it differently.
Advertisement
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#2 Old 13th Aug 2012 at 12:25 PM
It's the exporter that shades smooth automatically. You're going to have extra vertices anyway, because vertices that are split on the UV map must be split on the mesh.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Aug 2012 at 12:30 PM
Ah, okay, thanks!

I know about the seams having to be split where there are seams on the UV map, it's the edges that aren't seams but are supposed to appear sharp in game that I wasn't sure about.

Thank you for the blender tools, by the way, they are brilliant.