Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Feb 2014 at 10:06 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Crediting Custom Content on Upload
This isn't about how to upload but more about custom content.

I never intended to be a creator so I have never kept a log of where my downloads are from and who made them.

However, I have built some houses recently which I am quite proud of so was thinking about uploading them.

Is there a way that I can find out who made custom content so I can credit them?

Or can I post it and ask people to credit themselves?

What are my options here?
Advertisement
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#2 Old 19th Feb 2014 at 10:29 PM Last edited by karen lorraine : 19th Feb 2014 at 11:44 PM.
You will need to credit the creators yourself.

There are several ways you can use to find out who made the content if you haven't kept a record.
  • Package your lot and then open it up in Clean Installer. That will tell you who created most of it as sometimes it is labelled with the creator's name.
  • Google images is a good way too.
  • Use WCIF

For the future I would start by organising your download folder, it will help you immensely with later uploads. When I create I tend to keep a list of the CC I use as I go along. Also, some CC doesn't attach to the lot, eg bedding, roofs, and some pictures.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#3 Old 19th Feb 2014 at 11:06 PM
In addition to what Karen said, when you upload a lot (or recolors) that includes uploads that are here on MTS the upload wizard can/will fill those in for you. I do believe that will only happen if those items have been included in previous uploads though. (Gah, that's kind of confusing! Sorry. Also, if I'm wrong about that someone please correct me.)
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 19th Feb 2014 at 11:42 PM
It's also a good idea to check the catalogue descriptions of the CC items you've used, as they often contain the creator's name.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st Feb 2014 at 10:12 PM
Ok, what's the upload wizard and how does it work because the majority of my CC is from this site
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#6 Old 21st Feb 2014 at 11:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sims2fan473
Ok, what's the upload wizard and how does it work because the majority of my CC is from this site
I would read the Creator Guidelines here. There is also an FAQ on how the wizard works.

When I am preparing an upload I follow this procedure:
Create the lot for upload
Take the required images and prepare them
Package the lot
Write the CC list (along with the links)
Remove excess CC from the package in Clean Installer Zip/rar the file
Write upload text in Word
Upload

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 21st Feb 2014 at 11:56 PM
The upload wizard is the sites upload form and what you use up the top under Create ^ to upload your lot. One of the pages in there will know you have used used custom content and will then open a page with many of the items listed with the name of the item and the creator-when it comes from this site. You will need to check this though as often I find the link just goes to the creators page which I don't think is always the best for the people downloading your lot. I always try and change that for a direct link to the item so the downloader knows exactly what is is in case they already have it or don't want it. You will also need to check that the creator's item that you used allows their work to be re-uploaded, if not you will need to make a separate link in the text of your upload to the site the item is from so the downloader can go grab it for themselves.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~