Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Apr 2014 at 8:08 PM
Default Untypical Doomsword Problem
So I made my level 10 Blacksmith a Queen of a new kingdom, and sent her into the pit a few times and got the parts. Sent her into the forest and got the book. Read the book, but the recipe isn't showing up on the list. I've checked several times. Is this because she'd already read the book in the kingdom she was created in? How do I fix this?

I am happy to hear any ideas for my Storybook expansion project, as well as open to others helping.
Also, check out my object recoloring tutorial.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 9th Apr 2014 at 3:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
So I made my level 10 Blacksmith a Queen of a new kingdom, and sent her into the pit a few times and got the parts. Sent her into the forest and got the book. Read the book, but the recipe isn't showing up on the list. I've checked several times. Is this because she'd already read the book in the kingdom she was created in? How do I fix this?

She not having the recipe show up has nothing to do with her reading the book in a previous kingdom. In every kingdom, in order to craft any of the special items the Blacksmith can make but only if they read the books. Every new kingdom is a new beginning story, even if you have used the Sims you made from previous kingdoms.
Often you will eventually find out that this game has many glitches, and the recipe for the Doom Sword not showing is the least of them. For example, in my game (s) I've played, the quest Cutting Edge, which includes the Peteran Priest, and the Blacksmith, always has failed to save the sword my blacksmith made the Seraphim, or the Galatine. But I finally found a way to manipulate the game play thanks to testing cheats enabled, so I can keep the one sword at least. For you see, when the quest ends, there also goes the catalyst recipe! It disappears from the fireplace menu never to be seen again in that kingdom. I wrotwe a thread about it and its visible on the first page, if you also encounter issues with Cutting Edge, and want to know a cheat to keep the sword, as after its made and quest ends, the game takes the sword, which it is not supposed to do, and no more can be made since the catalyst recipe is also taken away by the game.
As to you troubles with the recipe not showing, if you are certain she read the book entirely, and did not put it down early (such happened to my blacksmith once when I accidently saved and quit my game, as the main Sim was my monarch, and I forgot that I included Qyall Quartz the blacksmith in game so he could read the lengthy book, and during the quitting point, I heard a LOUD clump, like the sound of a book slamming closed hard, and when I went back to the game to play, the book was gone!
I have literally LOST the Doom Sword book many times as I have played this game for so very long, and many times in the ambition stages. The Book can actually fall out of your inventory. YES! I have had Sims, NPC's walk right up to my inventory, put there arms inside and take prepared food right out of my inventory!!!!!! No kidding. And no, I do not take drugs. I can't say wtf was up with that event!
What I suggest you do is have her re-read the book if you still have it, and see what happens after, check for the recipe again. MAKE SURE you have all of the items you need to make the Doom Sword. Even if you are certain you placed the parts in your forge check its contents anyway, because stuff can get removed from there, too. Eventually, for the most part, these glitches seemed to work themselves out and stopped happening, but once in a while they still occur, like portions of prepared food falling to the ground when I am transferring it to a larder, or another sim, books also do this, and NPC's approach and pick the food up and try to eat it, this still happens once in a while, and I've learned to wait for them to take it then take control of them, and take the food back! For you see, I cannot see the food, I know it is half gone because the cost for it has gone down in my inventory sell box.
If the above idea does nothing for your situation, I suggest using you back-up save file. You will simply be returned to the last time you saved before the very last time you saved, so if you saved your game only a short while before she read the Doom Sword Book, then you can bring her back in time, so as she can reread the book as if it was her first time, assuming you saved at a time when you had the book, but she had not as of then read it. If you do not have a save where you had the UNREAD book, there isn't much else you can do. You could try using another save as suggested, but there is no guarantee you will see the book again in this kingdom. It may never show its face again in this kingdom.
If ever there was a game where one must save and save and save and save again so as to insure they are very likely not to lose their achievements, and hard work, it is this one! Many of TSMP&N gamers have experienced much painful lessons when we did not save our game progress!

If you wish you try and use the backup of your kingdom to try again to make the recipe show up, here is how:

Navigate to your save game location;

For PC, this is C:\Documents and Settings\(YOUR USERNAME)\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims Medieval\Saves
For Mac, this is \Users\(YOUR USERNAME)\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims Medieval\Saves

Take the folder named (Name of your kingdom.tsmbackup, and place it on your desktop. Rename the folder to Name of your kingdom.tsm. Which is the same name as the folder still located inside the saves folder. Now delete, or move that Name of your kingdom.tsm from out of the saves folder, either to the recycle bin, or else to another folder incase you want to keep the file for some reason.
Now place the renamed Name of your kingdom.tsm (the one on your desktop that used to be Name of your kingdom.tsm.backup into the saves folder in the location listed above (My Documents etc.) Now load up the game and your Blacksmith queen will have just traveled back in time to a place that hopefully she can try again at reading the book, and making her doom sword.

Just my opinion but I find the Doom Sword completely useless, since in order to use it, and use it well, the bearer must have his/her buffs up to an extreme in order to achieve his/her goal, and I never thought the sword killed any better or faster an ememy than the Angels Talon, which is not much less in power it being a 9.3 power, and lightweight, plus when wielding it, the bearer gets 50 PLUS buff Peter's strength, or some such. But the best sword of all is the Lightbringer, which can be taken from the Lord Knight in The Guild's Guilds quest with your knight, and using a cheat here and there, sort of. You just need to take control of him for a sec and switch his sword with another, for never shall the game offer it. What the knight gets as a reward in the end is the Lord Knights armor, which is a 10.4, I believe, and the best armor in the game. Neither the armor or the sword of the Lord Knight gives its bearer a bad buff. Nor a good buff, but the wearer can kick azz! LOL

Good Luck Toots!

Xeny

Quote:
Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must live.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Apr 2014 at 6:52 PM
Wow, what a delightfully long answer.
For the first suggestions, I believe it came with the "reread book" and she's read it several times. I'd also never considered multiple saves. Being used to TS2 and never having played TS3 apparently has its disadvantages.
And maybe I should also not store things in the forge then. I'd recently began putting things there. >.>
Oh well, thanks for the help, but I had no idea one needed save files, since I didn't know how glitchy this game was. This is the first time I've encountered a problem. :/

I am happy to hear any ideas for my Storybook expansion project, as well as open to others helping.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 10th Apr 2014 at 7:42 AM
Update:
I got the other set of books, and they were already read too, and both before and after rereading them, there were no recipes in the forge. They'd always shown up before then with my other smiths, but they didn't have the level or ingredients to make them. Now that I have someone with everything, they can't use the recipe. *headdesk* *sobs*

Field Researcher
#5 Old 10th Apr 2014 at 9:52 AM Last edited by Xeny : 10th Apr 2014 at 10:08 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
Update:
I got the other set of books, and they were already read too, and both before and after rereading them, there were no recipes in the forge.

So you are saying that when you first buy the books either from a dwarf (I think) while in the forest, or coming back from the Village Shoppe, or patrolling, you get the books already read, the first time your Sim opens them (it)? Strangely, I have always worried about this kind of thing occurring, but so far, nothing of this magnitude has. I used to wonder if events or aspects of a Sims character might be transferred from a former kingdom to a present kingdom, but I never have proven such a thing could occur.
Because this is a glitch, it seems made by the game, there isn't anything one can do to make it act right up to this point. I would ask you if you have any mods that might be conflicting with any other, or perhaps might not be compatible with TSMP&N? Like perhaps you have a mod intended for another Sims game?
At this time, the only other suggestions I can give you is to restart either the QUEST or even the ambition you are in now from the beginning of it, and hopefully you have not played overly long in it, so restarting it may not be very painful. If you only got the books in the quest you are in now, then I am guessing you are still in the very first of quests in an ambition, meaning the start. I almost always get the Blacksmithing books to make the Doom Sword, Chinchilla, Angel's Talon. and The Watcher's Blade in the very first quest my monarch plays, in every ambition.
If this is the case for you, restarting the kingdom should be less painful than a flea bite. If it were longer a game play time, it may hurt as much as a dog bite.
On your behalf though, I shall do a bit of research, and see what I can find. If I find anything, I shall inform you, Dear. I have a rep in other forums for being quite good (or else purely lucky) at research. Hopefully my "talents" will work wonders for you. Wish me luck, as I wish you luck as well.

TC Xeny

EDIT:

Now that I think of it, I need to ask you, when you made your queen in this kingdom, she used to be a blacksmith in a former kingdom? Right? Are you using TZ Dynamic Profession Package mod to give or take abilities away from a Sim? Your queen needs the abilities of a Blacksmith in order to read the Doom Sword, or other Blacksmithing books. If you have the TZ Dynamic.Package mod, latest version, then add all of the abilities of the blacksmith to your queen. You will need to add ALL of a blacksmiths abilities to her, NOT just Metal Working. You need to give her the ability of Geology as well, okay? Go through all of the abilities listed during game play to insure she has all of them she may need, or else she will not be able to perform all you want her to.

I also have my king with blacksmithing abilities. He hates to wear ugly armor! LOL

Below is the link for TZDynamicProfession.package in case you want to use it and make your queen a true blacksmith. I have a feeling you may not have added all of the abilities of the blacksmith to your queen, hence why the recipes do not show. Good Luck!

http://modthesims.info/t/439543

Quote:
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 10th Apr 2014 at 6:15 PM
I've just been continuing along working on the annexing ambition. I've never annexed before so it's hard. Also maxed out loyalty on some for achievements.

And I have absolutely no mods for TSM. She was a master blacksmith in her original kingdom, and is queen of a new one. I thought I could bring her over and have her be able to get the fancy materials herself as a monarch and not have to do any transferring. But the nicest one she's been able to make for herself and others is the mana sword.
Even if I have no mods, would that mod still help? Maybe the game left something out rather than me.

Thank you for all the help. ;-;

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 11th Apr 2014 at 7:41 AM
A minor update:
This may be unimportant, but she apparently can't do the Achievement where you have to make 50 pieces of armor. She made over 50 and nada. :/

Field Researcher
#8 Old 11th Apr 2014 at 11:09 AM Last edited by Xeny : 11th Apr 2014 at 11:36 AM. Reason: fixing typos
It just sounds to me like her file may have not carried over properly, perhaps some traits or abilities she achieved while in the former kingdom did not carry over with her, which is to say that her file may have become corrupt. This is an event which seems to happen much more than most realize, and there is not much one can do to prevent such a thing occurring, as it would be SUPER hard to define why or how the file got corrupted. I about flipped my lid when Qyall Quartz (my blacksmith) would load in CAS but when I selected Finish, to go to furnish his house, BOOM, my game crashed to desktop, tried again, BOOM! CTD! I knew then his file was corrupted. BUT, Xeny The Wise and Fore-thinking, had prepared for such a disaster, and had made copies of all her beloved Sims, and wrapped them up in warm snug clothing of Winrar, and copied them to external disks, and also a special folder I made for this purpose. I learned my lesson when Xerxex Xoom (boy wizard) got his file corrupted. I still have a good copy of him on a disc somewhere, but I've tried new wizards for some time now, and none can compare to him, and so all other TSM gamers must also wrap up their Sim Babes in swaddling, yet warm archive blankies so as to keep them safe for later possible catastrophes. If you love them, you will take your best care of them, or else face the horrid pains of their deaths unexpectedly....you don't want that...no no no...

Yes, I do believe using TZ Dynamics Package Mod latest version will fix your issues with your queen, and her abilities as a blacksmith. I believe you can add the mod files into an already existing game/ambition and have it work, but here you must check that out for yourself, as the information concerning your question is all written on that links page where you can download the mod.
First though, you must set up your system to be able to use the mods you might choose

Here below is the link to tell you exactly how to install the files you will download, mods, etc, and the downloads to get you started. Its very simple. You may love playing without any mod whatsoever, the tough gal kind of play, the struggle, and the PAINS, (I love that too, but just not every day) SO I use mods cause they make so much that should have been possible, and give the Watcher much more control over events in the game (I SUPER love being in control!) If you are the TOUGH GAL kind, I still suggest you follow this link below and install at least the ONE mod I suggest above, as it seems the game kind of dorked your queen out of her rightful and hard won attributes! And I am more than positive that this one mod will fix that cruel error by the game, for you see, your game is not allowing your queen to act as the blacksmith she was born as, but TZDynamicProfession.Package will!!

In the latest version you can give or take abilities of other Sims, and your Sims away, even their default abilities. For example, I use it to take away the ability of Royalty from the Territory Leaders, as this ability allows them to order my monarchs servants to cook them food (in your kingdom you only have one servant since you do not use mods, but my monarch has 4, plus 4 advisers which I treat as servants usually because most of them deserve nothing more, jerks they are, not always though, but anyhow, the servant (s) almost always serve the Territory Leader who demanded he/she cook them food, the best of the dishes available in the menu, Royal Custard, Apple Pie, but when my Xylan Darksword calls for food, he is served the worst, not always but nearly always. I have seen the servant attempt to serve him roasted rat when I was playing another of my sims in his quest, but of course when I saw that, I intervened, and stopped Xylan from eating such a gross thing, and whacked the servant to death. We killed her immediately.

Back to your situation, just install the TZDynamicProfession.packager mod only if you are a hard corer but still believe your queen was unjustly served...I think she was. When you use this mod, you can correct what the game stole, replacing her blacksmith heritage, as it were, her abilities, and more if you want to.

Bless whats his name for making this mod, he's a beauty in Xeny's book (not found in TSM or P&N PC games btw) LOL

Here is the link for the Info you need to get started including the downloads you need:

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=438344

The mod for fixing the abilities issue is above, as you know.

This link is just an extra below. Its the link to Grims Medieval Core, and such a GREAT mod it is, it makes semi Ugh pretty into absolutely fabulous Gorgeous, but still Medieval to ones game. Its so great, the Grimreefer who created it can't be evil!!! Too many Simmers want to kiss him for his work! (Not me, but it did enter my mind once). I give you the link so you might have a peek at it, and consider all you might have that you don't have now concerning your game play. Just cause you were kind enough to read my responses to you, lengthy that they are. I get going sometimes when yapping about TSM, but always in a good happy nature, as I love this game so much, that its a total pleasure discussing events that occur within my kingdom, and perhaps to make a friend here and there who love yapping about their kingdoms as well. AH, if only Xylan Darksword were a real man! Whoo hoo would be our middle names! Oh and Qyall, sweet and Dear, but rough around the edge, just a bit, boyish, too but all hunky man!

Well, enough Xeny!

Here is the link to Grims Medieval Core if you want to peek:

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=449550

The Best of Luck and Joy to you and your Sims!

Xeny

Quote:
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 11th Apr 2014 at 7:52 PM
Hehe, it's a lot of fun reading your responses.

Anyway, I got the mod installed just fine, and after a process of adding, removing, reading books, and checking the forge (not in that order, but there was multiples of all but removing), absolutely nothing's changed. :C

Field Researcher
#10 Old 12th Apr 2014 at 4:13 AM
You re-did reread everything/books did you, and no change? Did you delete the cache files in your My Documents folder in the TSM folder? The cache packages files keep records so to speak of the things in your kingdom, that's why when adding or removing some mods, these files must be deleted. They are remade a new when you start your game again after deleting them. Try that, then play the game and see if anything changed. Good luck.

You must then delete these files/folders 1) CASPartCache.package 2) CompositorCache.package 3) SimCompositorCache.package, and 4) the files inside the Thumbnails folder.

Xeny

Quote:
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 12th Apr 2014 at 6:18 AM
I didn't do anything with cache files, but instead I just used the mod to make the local blacksmith good, gave him the stuff and had him make the swords. Shame that with her 30+ bonus levels, Harriet still couldn't make it. But I got the doomsword achievement at least, and then had her in full angel go and win a bunch of swordfights. My kingdom is littered with people in bandages. >.>

I hate how some achievements go off without a hitch, but then ones like kingball and making 50 pieces of armor want to be difficult. >.<

Field Researcher
#12 Old 13th Apr 2014 at 8:07 PM
Ya know, DoRe, this reminds me of a time I had issues with the Achievements. I've been playing for near 3 years, practically every day, but when I had the issues, it was in the beginning of my game play. Its almost as if the dang game needs a super duper extra allotted time frame in order to get itself comfortable enough with a Gamers PC, rather like one's foot when trying on a new shoe, but we stick with the damnably uncomfortable, and painful shoe, don't we?
My problem with the Achievements was more on the "Other Side of the Grassy Knoll" as it were. Instead of being unable to get achievements I specifically strove to achieve, the game awarded me achievements I never came close to completing or else awarded them while my game status was in the process of a MAJOR glitch encounter. For example, My monarch got the "Kill the King in a sword fight" (or similar) for killing himself...what happened was the game had outright dethroned my king, said there was no monarch, this happened because we killed the knight, because the knight had previously been glitched upon by Sir Game, so we had to create a new knight, but then my kingdom had two knights, exact same face, exact name, etc. My game had confused the king and the knight, though I can't see the reason, as Xylan is ALL male, while in this kingdom, I had made a female knight, but when she got divorced from her Doc husband, all went to hell in a hand basket. These days my Doc just doesn't marry Hero Sims, and rarely marries at all. He has a great Sim Marriage Fear! No kidding! He has always experienced REALLY funky marriages in every kingdom near abouts. No other Sim has these troubles except Doc Blade Bungle.
This game was non-modded, btw, but when Xylan got divorced from his adviser wife, when the window asking to whom should the children live showed, the list of children included the knight, her daughter, and Xylan's ONLY daughter by the adviser. I had no choice but to accept the terms as given in the window as there is no button allowing to close it, such as the small windows do while on a quest and one must choose an option.
Long story short, ha ha ha, there had been two knights, both ended up dead, as nothing could be done to fix that situation, and two monarch's, two Xylan's, exactly the same. I had to do something in order to try and repair my game kingdom, as I had been playing it for some time. So I had Xylan level 4, 732, kill Xylan level 1. And so, Xylan got rewarded for murdering himself, as it were, or I the Watcher did, I suppose, for it was after that the da da da taaahhh! music screamed on and the award window popped up on screen. My Xylan, he sure is talented! LMAO!

There may be a time when you are playing, that achievements you know you made but had never been awarded with suddenly show up much later, perhaps as much as a week, more or less. This has happened to me too. TSMP&N sure is a DELIGHT to play, and I mean that with every fiber of my being! LOL

TC, Toots! Always remember the fun you've had playing this game, no matter how weird it got!

Xeny

Quote:
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 13th Apr 2014 at 9:06 PM
I am enjoying it! I moved Harriet to ANOTHER kingdom because I've grown so fond of her and her many levels. Shame her husband didn't come with her though.
Raising up an evil witch to lead a kingdom too, so I can have a special kingdom just for getting the evil achievements.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 23rd Apr 2014 at 8:45 AM
*sigh* Made a guild enemy pirate, made an entitled guildsman, got them hitched, no achievements. u.u