Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Apr 2014 at 1:56 AM
Default Help with my sims becoming unmarried?
So earlier in my game my married couple was aruging and all of a suddent instead of saying husband/wife it just said romantic interest. Is there a reason as to why they became unmarried?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 21st Apr 2014 at 2:14 AM
Did they 'kiss and make up'? I think that is what the interaction is called. It causes them to lose marriage status.

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Apr 2014 at 2:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ~MadameButterfly~
Did they 'kiss and make up'? I think that is what the interaction is called. It causes them to lose marriage status.

Are you kidding me that is the stupidest thing ever! Yes I used that interaction. Ugh...
Alchemist
#4 Old 21st Apr 2014 at 9:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by NanaRee16
Are you kidding me that is the stupidest thing ever! Yes I used that interaction. Ugh...

OMG, I learned what this interaction does the hard way too... Sigh.

Just call me Nikel
Mad Poster
#5 Old 21st Apr 2014 at 9:41 AM
I never used it. Glad I didn't!

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 21st Apr 2014 at 10:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ~MadameButterfly~

Well, that's bizarre. Anyone know if that's a bug of some kind? The name of the interaction certainly doesn't sound like it's meant to do that.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#7 Old 21st Apr 2014 at 10:47 AM Last edited by babele44 : 21st Apr 2014 at 10:59 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
I never used it. Glad I didn't!
Well, you're in for a nice surprise because they can do that autonomously, too

Quote: Originally posted by MinghamSmith
Well, that's bizarre. Anyone know if that's a bug of some kind? The name of the interaction certainly doesn't sound like it's meant to do that.
I think it's a bug or at least not very well thought-out. When a relationship is really deep in the reds and the likelihood of them breaking up on their own quite high (autonomous divorce is another "blessing" brought to us by Generations, isn't it?) then Kiss And Make Up can "save" the relationship in that it raises the meter into the greens again, but at the price of ending the marriage status.
It may have something to do with how the game handles relationship status changes. If you add a spouse to a Sim, for example, using the Debug commands or MasterController it doesn't jump from Acquaintance to Spouse immediately, it adds all the intermediate steps first, i.e. the relationship goes to Romantic Interest first, then Girlfriend/Boyfriend, then Fiancée/Fiancé and then eventually to Spouse. Whoever designed the new interaction probably forgot some of the steps and stopped at Romantic Interest.
One Minute Ninja'd
#8 Old 21st Apr 2014 at 10:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MinghamSmith

It's a feature, not a bug. Just because the producer was in a particularly foul mood that day, and allowed their real life experience to influence their design decision, doesn't mean we can't find it sardonically amusing.
Scholar
#9 Old 21st Apr 2014 at 11:16 AM
Can anyone tell me what kind of kiss it looks like when they do the interaction? Might be an easy fix if it's an interaction in the socialdata xmls ...

Heaven's Peak, my CAW WIP
Alchemist
#10 Old 21st Apr 2014 at 12:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by babele44
I think it's a bug or at least not very well thought-out. When a relationship is really deep in the reds and the likelihood of them breaking up on their own quite high (autonomous divorce is another "blessing" brought to us by Generations, isn't it?) then Kiss And Make Up can "save" the relationship in that it raises the meter into the greens again, but at the price of ending the marriage status.

I'm pretty sure that in my own experience, the relationship doesn't have to be red. You just need the social to be awkward, upset, or anything that makes the "Apologize" interaction to appear. By then, this "Kiss and Make Up" interaction will appear too.

Quote: Originally posted by Fentonparkninja
Can anyone tell me what kind of kiss it looks like when they do the interaction? Might be an easy fix if it's an interaction in the socialdata xmls ...

It's from University Life. I've looked it up in the codes, and it's hard-coded in the script. If you want to change it, you need to make a script mod for it. And yeah, it's not a bug. It's a feature. The interaction intentionally ends the relationship that instant.

Just call me Nikel
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#11 Old 21st Apr 2014 at 12:36 PM Last edited by babele44 : 21st Apr 2014 at 11:41 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by nikel23
I'm pretty sure that in my own experience, the relationship doesn't have to be red. You just need the social to be awkward, upset, or anything that makes the "Apologize" interaction to appear. By then, this "Kiss and Make Up" interaction will appear too.
Yeah, what I meant is that the only "positive" thing is that a relationship that is in the red will be in the green again.

Quote:
It's from University Life. I've looked it up in the codes, and it's hard-coded in the script. If you want to change it, you need to make a script mod for it. And yeah, it's not a bug. It's a feature. The interaction intentionally ends the relationship that instant.
So, it's a spelling mistake in the interaction's title? It's supposed to be "Kiss And Break Up"? Sometimes I really wonder whether it wouldn't have been better to nuke the Sims Salt Lake team way earlier than they finally did.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 21st Apr 2014 at 1:06 PM
I don't know why they couldn't have just given a simple relationship boost. Why change the status at all? It seems hateful. Maybe the culprit already knew that they were going to be fired and was taking it out on us.

Scholar
#13 Old 21st Apr 2014 at 1:29 PM
Hmm, well I looked anyway and I see it in the socialdata xml for Uni, although there's no LTRbit that changes the relationship like some other interactions have.

One thing though - references say Kiss and Make Up, along with some references to 'OnApologize' and 'BuffOnApologize', so I get the impression it really was meant to be a relationship-fixing interaction, not a break-up. I think the coder either heard wrong or somehow got it into their head that 'break up' was what was being asked for, coded it that way and didn't realize their mistake until later - one of those 'left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing' situations.

Even if there's hard-code controlling this interaction at some point, I might play with this entry and see to what degree you can influence things from the XML.

Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 21st Apr 2014 at 8:19 PM
I vote we put Fenton in charge of all the coding from Flirtatious Joke through Marry.

Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
Just because the producer was in a particularly foul mood that day...
I do not wish to become a violent person, but I swear, there are people involved in the design of romantic interactions who ought to have their ladders pulled up.
Forum Resident
#15 Old 21st Apr 2014 at 9:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Fentonparkninja
Hmm, well I looked anyway and I see it in the socialdata xml for Uni, although there's no LTRbit that changes the relationship like some other interactions have.

One thing though - references say Kiss and Make Up, along with some references to 'OnApologize' and 'BuffOnApologize', so I get the impression it really was meant to be a relationship-fixing interaction, not a break-up. I think the coder either heard wrong or somehow got it into their head that 'break up' was what was being asked for, coded it that way and didn't realize their mistake until later - one of those 'left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing' situations.

Even if there's hard-code controlling this interaction at some point, I might play with this entry and see to what degree you can influence things from the XML.

Maybe someone should just rename it, "kiss and say goodbye"... because, after all, it appears to be for an amicable break-up. Which would make sense that it was added during Uni Life.

Maybe do both? Rename the interaction currently coded in there, and then recode to also make it a relationship-mending action. (The "kiss and make-up" version.)
Theorist
#16 Old 21st Apr 2014 at 11:17 PM
This may have been a mistake and maybe not - a lot of people kept asking for more [insert pet word here - i.e. illness, surprises, harder relationships, blah, blah, blah]. TS3 turned out to be one game where it was very dangerous to ask for anything because the programmers were so prone to half-assing it. Whether that was due to them being pressed for time and/or money or just clueless, I couldn't say!

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 22nd Apr 2014 at 4:43 AM
The worst thing about it is that when you remarry the sim you get an additional 2 days off from work, I'm sorry but my sims don't need time off.
Scholar
#18 Old 22nd Apr 2014 at 5:01 AM
OK, I think I managed to get around the hard code by making this interaction mimic Apologize in how it works.

I tested it out on Gwen Glover and Holden Wozny by making them husband and wife. Gwen did the Give Mean High Five interaction to make the STC 'impolite' and then used Kiss and Make Up (just the anims for Apologize and Shy Kiss smacked together I see - I was hoping for a unique animation!). After it was done, the STC went back to 'okay' and Holden was still her husband.

Here's the tuning for anyone interested:
Attached files:
File Type: zip  kissmakeuptest.zip (30.6 KB, 74 downloads) - View custom content

Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 22nd Apr 2014 at 8:01 AM
Tested successfully by the Wolffs! Yay Fenton! :lovestruc
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 22nd Apr 2014 at 2:07 PM
Yay! now if it happens autonomously i have nothing to worry about! :D
Mad Poster
#21 Old 22nd Apr 2014 at 2:53 PM
Thank you so much Fenton! <3