Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#776 Old 1st Jun 2013 at 5:02 PM
Hi everyone,

I just started this challenge today. I've attempted to build a whole town from scratch before, but this seems to be a bit more, well challenging way to do it

First of all, I wanted to show off my founder and stuff. I also want to ask a question, and I hope someone here can help me!

This is the town I started the challenge with:

It's called Opora, and you can download it here. It's a fully built town, but I emptied it out.

That's my founder Wendi House:

This is where she lives (I built it myself):

I also did a Random Legacy roll for her, because I like having that kind of direction. This is what I've got: 3 kids, Mixologist, Fulfilled (must fulfill her LTW), Fighter (must get in a bar brawl every week).
Because both Fighter and Mixologist fit that, I decided she will earn the city a bar.

Now I've run into a problem: She skilled Mixology until Level 3 with her own bar at home. Now, the game tells me I can only skill further at a actual bar, which kind of throws me for a loop. She needs to max Mixology to get a bar, but she needs to have a bar to max Mixology?
How am I supposed to do that?

Thanks for reading, and possibly helping!
Advertisement
Alchemist
#777 Old 1st Jun 2013 at 5:07 PM
You just need to buy her a LN professional bar (the 3 tile kind) for her home.
Test Subject
#778 Old 1st Jun 2013 at 5:09 PM Last edited by nowguard : 2nd Jun 2013 at 1:09 AM.
Oooh okay. Thank you!

Update: A couple of screenshots of the bar I built!

Forum Resident
#779 Old 3rd Jun 2013 at 8:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kewpie
I've had Story Progression moving sims in. Now I'm thinking of restarting and populating the entire town myself. No random move-ins.

I have NRaas SP with immigration off, so no new sims will be moving in. I'm planning to make sims for any empty houses with one more sim per $20,000 the empty house is worth (so a $47,000 house would get three sims in it for example) and I'd add enough money so they can afford the house. Is that an acceptable way to do it?
Forum Resident
#780 Old 7th Jun 2013 at 5:35 AM
So, Raine (founder's wife) who is Evil and has just built the Criminal Warehouse and got a job there, decided to have an affair with the postman and when her husband caught her he divorced her there and then (game not me!).

Alex (my founder) decided to try his luck with the policewoman he summoned to deal with Raine burgling (is that a word?) from his house that first night. Lyndsey Gillard is the complete opposite as a Good Perfectionist - so we'll see how this marriage turns out.

Riverview end of week 3:
Population: 7 (plus one pregnancy)
Residential lots: 2
--- Doran Hall (Alex, Lyndsey, Boris, Charlie and David Doran)
--- Fields' End (Juan and Raine Christenson)
Community lots: 2
--- Riverview Produce Store (supermarket, Alex)
--- Royal Nigerian Investments Ltd. (criminal warehouse, Raine)

I've played a couple of days past the end of the week, and Raine is also expecting a baby thanks to SP.
Field Researcher
#781 Old 9th Jun 2013 at 12:42 PM
Hi all!

In case anyone was interested, I've finally gotten around to updating my NIF Unlocker for Showtime and University Life. To refresh your memory, its the variation of this challenge where each lifetime wish unlocks a lot or a big deal activity, and can be found in this spreadsheet: NIF Unlocker

The colour code is as follows:
Orange: Requires travel
Purple: Requires specific Occult
Green: Requires specific Trait
Dark Blue: Has lot prerequisite
Dark Red: May require high Sim population

So basically, when you are starting out a new game, you are probably looking for sims with the lifetime wishes that are still in black.
Scholar
#782 Old 11th Jun 2013 at 8:07 PM Last edited by kewpie : 12th Jun 2013 at 5:10 PM. Reason: addendum
@KittyCarey: The way I do it is this. One house for every building created. The first house actually has 2 buildings, since there was 1 house and 0 buildings to start with. I will move ALL of the sims out of the house except for one. So there will be one sim with a fulfilled building job and the rest of the sims are working on their goals. Once I finish a new building, I have 2 sims to choose between to move out (I usually pick the oldest one to stay in the house)

Here is how it's gone so far:

1. Built house 1: Moved in mom. She maxed out Sculpting and bought the crypt (not the graveyard. I can do this thanks to a mod)
2. Married sim and had 3 kids and 2 Imaginary friends. Sim dad maxed writing and bought library.
3. Moved everyone out but dad. Mom and kids built house 2. Oldest son maxed gardening and fishing and bought grocery store.
4. Moved everyone out but mom. Halfway through building house 3.Mom autonomously moved in with dad, leaving 1 empty house. 5 kids are now living together and oldest is about to age up and get married.

NEW:
5. Oldest son got married and wife is working on getting courthouse. She is pregnant with a child who will buy the junk yard. House #3 is finished.

Plans:

Each kid will get married one at a time and their spouse and children born into active household will complete 1 building. I am HOPING that they autonomously move back in together and start their own families without my help. The imaginary friends are naturally not related to the rest of the family, so I am HOPING that the kids from their marriages will autonomously marry the kids from the legacy family. I am HOPING they fill up the town autonomously. Then every single person in the town will be related to someone who unlocked a building in some way.

Hope this makes sense. One "cheat" I did was give the imaginary friends their own last names so that I could have more than one last name in the town. Their last name is related to what generation of the legacy they were born into. So Gen 1 born in the game: Kids first names: Adam, Aaron and Amy and the last names of the Imaginary friends are Abacus and Activity (tried to make toy sounding names and got a little stuck)
Forum Resident
#783 Old 13th Jun 2013 at 3:33 AM
So I've completed another week and have another update!

Story Progression decided that Raine and her second husband were not suited, so now she's divorced again and Juan is married to his successor as postal deliverer.

New Riverview, end of week 4:
Population: 11 (plus two pregnancies)
Residential Lots: 3
--- Doran Hall (Alex, Lyndsey, Boris, Charlie, David, Ellie and Ginny Doran)
--- Fields' End (Juan, Gwen and Flora Christenson)
--- 13 Lost Willow Rd (Raine Wilcox)
Community Lots: 2
--- Riverview Produce Store (supermarket, Alex)
--- Royal Nigerian Investments Ltd. (criminal warehouse, Raine)

No new community lots yet, but Lyndsey has 9 writing points towards a bookshop, and Boris has managed 9 painting, 9 logic and 5 athletic for his police station. Story Progression is also providing Juan with lots of writing points, so I'll probably try to get him to build a library.
Scholar
#784 Old 23rd Jun 2013 at 8:42 PM
This is the farthest I've gotten on the challenge so I thought I'd share

Sunset Valley Reborn:
Population: 11

Residential lots: 7 several are abandoned though (I build one house for every finished building)

Community lots purchased: 7
-Grocery Store (founder's son #1)
- City Hall (son #1's wife Book Register Clerk)
-Theater (Imaginary friend #1)
-Mausoleum (NOT THE GRAVEYARD) (Founder)
-Library (with book register) (founder's husband - French Tourist)
- Salon (Son #2)
- Junkyard (son #2's wife Maid )

Community lots awaiting funding:2 Because I build a new residential house for every building I buy -- And I buy them all with mods that allow the purchase of ALL rabbitholes and properties, money is tight even though I have 3 properties collecting income and book royalties inherited from founder's husband.

- Hospital (founder's daughter)
- Gym (Imaginary Friend #2)

Community lots in progress: 4

- Consignment Shop (Husband of Daughter - Mailman) - 60% complete - Sculpting at 6.
- Office - (Husband of Imaginary friend 1 Egyptian Tourist) - 25% complete charisma is at 5 and writing is at 0.
- Fire Station (Son of Son #1) - 15% complete -- he has the 3 hidden handiness skills and 0 athletic.
- Bistro (Son of Son#2) - 0% complete. He's still a toddler

Unless I start getting horrible errors, I am continuing on. I am currently trying to get imaginary friend #2 married, but he's got commitment issues, is a loner and dislikes children. He seems to bomb out with the people I set him up with. I am hoping his wife will get an alchemy shop.
Test Subject
#785 Old 27th Jun 2013 at 8:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Avalikia
You may make 1 CAS Sim in this world, and 1 only. You are never allowed to make any other CAS Sims. Gender, exact age, etc. are all up to you. Pets may not be created with them.

What is the reason behind the one-sim rule?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#786 Old 28th Jun 2013 at 5:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kittenclysm
What is the reason behind the one-sim rule?

Because allowing you to make additional Sims would be giving you something for free. (Note the name of the challenge.) You only get the first one for free because it would be impossible to play otherwise.
Test Subject
#787 Old 1st Sep 2013 at 10:06 PM
I love this challenge! Been playing it for a while. I'm curious - has anyone come up with interesting rules for adding Island Paradise lots? I'd love to add a diving lot to Sunset Valley. Maybe they would have to max the scuba diving skill first? Apparently they can build scuba skill just by snorkeling around.
Inventor
#788 Old 6th Sep 2013 at 2:46 PM
I just wanted to drop a note that I love this challenge, and I've been playing one for a couple of months. I munged around some of the skilling requirements to make it suit my style a little more, so I'm calling it a NIF variant . I've been picking up some links to other folks' blogs, and I thought I'd share mine:

http://sims3waypoint.blogspot.com/

It's a deserted island theme, which has been done before, but hopefully mine is unique enough.

Echo Weaver's Simblr: http://echoweaver.tumblr.com/
A portrait in stubbornness - Playing the same legacy since 2009
Sample a Brave Legacy: http://sims3sample.illation.net
Test Subject
#789 Old 9th Sep 2013 at 10:45 PM
so far I haven't been successful in adding diving lots even tho I followed the rules
Test Subject
#790 Old 11th Sep 2013 at 3:39 PM
What do you guys think should be required to open the University lots and the Island Paradise lots?

I was thinking building max Jock, Nerd, and Rebel influence for the Arcade, Comic Book Store, and Rebel Hangout/Java Hut/Coffeehouse thing respectively. It's hard to do that without going to university and making friends, but you can by spamming juice pong, computer games, and dumpster diving. It's just a long way to go. You could also use Social Media/Science/Street Art If you want a University in your main neighborhood, I would say it would have to be earned by the LTW to get five degrees. That would be the only character who could go to University and still unlock something, but particularly if you're playing by the 'LTW's unlock things, not skills', all other characters could then take two trips to Uni without losing their ability to unlock. No idea about the Student Union, though... maybe you need max Social Media, Science, and Street Art. Have fun with that.

Dive Lots requiring 10 in Scuba Diving seems pretty reasonable, and not too hard to earn. Just a lot of snorkeling with little pay off. Resorts are harder, though... I would say they should require a variety of skills to learn, as well as a certain number of buildings already unlocked (ten, perhaps?). They shouldn't be one of the first things your town starts off with.

What about the store lots? A greenhouse, a gambling hall, the bistro you can run... should they be unlocked differently, or just be unlocked like big parks/lounges/the regular bistro/dinner?
Scholar
#791 Old 11th Sep 2013 at 4:59 PM
I've added a new rule in my town and I thought I'd share. All of the buildings -- including houses - that I make have to look "finished," The free wallpaper that looks like industrial paneling is OK to use, but NOT ok to finish a house with unless the room would actually look realistic with it. The free floors are all allowed as they just look like hardwood and they aren't tacky. Cheapest furniture is allowed, but it all has to be CaSTed so it doesn't look like I just threw stuff together. Rooms need to look somewhat realistic -- no sculpting station in the middle of the living room. It needs a garage or workshop. All lots need to be landscaped to a reasonable degree. If I had some mod that made all plants, floors and wallpapers free in build mode, that would be allowed. (I wish I had a mod like that... I remember one for TS2) The rules aren't to force me to spend a lot of money. I just want it to LOOK like I did. I want the house to look like I took some effort to build it rather than just slapping it together.

I added this rule because I was tired of looking at my ugly neighborhood. Houses were barebones and thrown together with mismatched cheapass furniture and the lots of my commercial buildings looked kinda scuzzy too. I am CRAFTING a world, not just grinding through to get a challenge done. This does make things harder, but it satisfies my creativity more.
Scholar
#792 Old 14th Sep 2013 at 1:50 PM
I just found out that you can make your own uni towns and use Twallan's traveller mod to get to them. I don't want a Uni in my own town but I think I'll make one. I'll come up with requirements but I think making my own uni will be fun.
Scholar
#793 Old 16th Sep 2013 at 4:48 PM Last edited by kewpie : 17th Sep 2013 at 12:07 AM.
Sorry to keep adding to this thread. Once I figured out how Traveller worked, I realized that a uni town from scratch had to be built in CAW, because sims can travel between worlds, but not between save games. That's way over my head and would be like building a second world -- which is a bit daunting. But I don't want Uni school in my town. I like the idea of going off to uni and NOT going to school in the home world. So I am going to treat Uni as if it were a vacation world. They can't go until they have completed their building task. The only restriction I have is that they can't go to the admin building and ask for funds. (Free money? I think not!) They can't go to Uni until they get A+ honors in high school. So they can't go to uni if there is no school in the world.

I am curious about adding in cafes and comicbook shops. Cafes I think I'll max out cooking and social networking. Comic book shops, I'll max out painting and writing. I've added street art as a requirement to the art museum (which I've also added inventing and sculpting to already) and Science maxed out will go to the science lab and the hospital.

I don't have IP so I have no idea about that.
Lab Assistant
#794 Old 21st Sep 2013 at 11:09 AM
Soo.. I'm back! (Finally... haha) I was jonesing to try another "straight" Nothing is Free challenge (the one I have in progress is actually a hybrid Apocalypse/Nothing is Free.. and it's been on hiatus forever until the last few days when I unearthed it..) So, I loaded up the "new" Island Paradise town, and proceeded to delete .. everything. People, houses, lots.. it started looking vaguely depressing. Turned all community lots into blank residential lots (from a previous attempt, I noticed that "no visitors allowed" tends to cause the random pets and wild animals to randomly congregate there.. which struck me as silly.) Then.. picked a beach lot that looked promising, and set about creating a sim. I didn't want to just randomly pick a sim, because invariably I pick ones that I personally like the look of.. so I handed my handy-dandy wireless mouse to my husband across the expanse of desks (we have a wall of three desks for me, hubby, and daughter, so we can always spy on what everyone else is doing.. hehe) .. and I made him pick me a sim. Showed him where the randomise buttons were and he went to town .. and Micah McCloud was born. Eco-friendly, Excitable, Loves Swimming, Loner .. and why can I never remember a sim's fifth trait.. I'll find it later. Story goes that he washed up on this "abandoned" world that is strangely filled with roads and ports and random mailboxes and trash cans.. and I gave him a trashy looking rowboat, outhouse, ice-box like fridge, tent, and random driftwood-inspired survival stuff (like a fire pit). His lifetime wish is Tinkerer - which fits in nicely with perhaps unlocking the combo City Hall/Police/Military lot.

However.. I'm a bit stumped at the moment about how to explain (I'm planning to blog the story) other sims showing up. For the moment, I'm ignoring the mailwoman, as her showing up really doesn't fit with having no city hall.. and I'm restricting use of all other services. After getting the City Hall, should I explain it by saying other sims are "washing up" (ie the mailperson).. or.. ugh.. I simply don't have other ideas at this point. Anyone else have ideas?

Edit: oh yeah, I'm calling the town "Castaway Shores" .. hehe

My Sims 3 Profile (IllusoryThrall) - My Sims 3 Blogsite
"Spectres of the Past" - a Nothing is Free/Apocalypse (modified) Challenge
"Castaway Shores" - a Nothing is Free Challenge
Test Subject
#795 Old 28th Sep 2013 at 8:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Wyldhawke
However.. I'm a bit stumped at the moment about how to explain (I'm planning to blog the story) other sims showing up. For the moment, I'm ignoring the mailwoman, as her showing up really doesn't fit with having no city hall.. and I'm restricting use of all other services. After getting the City Hall, should I explain it by saying other sims are "washing up" (ie the mailperson).. or.. ugh.. I simply don't have other ideas at this point. Anyone else have ideas?

Edit: oh yeah, I'm calling the town "Castaway Shores" .. hehe

I did sort of the same thing last time I played the challenge (I didn't really mix it up with an apocalypse challenge, but I had this sort of postapocalypse story going on in my head, hah.)
My explanation for the mailpersons, newspaper kids and the townies that started to show up when I unlocked lots was that most part of the world was ruined in this postapocalyptic scenario, but that there still were some major cities that had either been restored or left relatively undamaged. This still being a postapocalyptic world, I imagined these societies to be something like.. idk, some dilapitated mix between Bartertown from Mad Max and Los Angeles from Blade Runner? So my sim figured she'd be better off founding a new city.
Awful as these cities are, they do provide one hell of a mail service. It's a bit of a stretch, but it's really the only explanation I could come up with.
Test Subject
#796 Old 17th Oct 2013 at 12:06 AM
I have read this forums and possibly came up with a solution for the University, IP and store lots by combining the ideas of my fellow simmers:

University Lots:

max Jock influence for the Arcade and buy the lot
Max Nerd, influence for the Comic Book Store and buy the lot
Max Rebel influence for the Rebel Hangout/Java Hut/Coffeehouse and buy the lot
Bowling Alley Max Athletic and buy the lot.

Island Paradise Lots:

Dive Spots: Max Scuba Diving skill and buy lot (IF possible)
Resorts: Max out Charisma, Handiness and cooking and reach level ten in the Business career & buy the lot:

Store lots:
Stones Throw Greenhouse: Max Gardening & buy the lot
Serenity Retreat: Own the Spa and maxed both part time careers in the Spa & buy the Lot
Business as Usual Bistro: Max cooking and Reach Level 10 in the Business Career & Buy the lot
Tiny Prodigies Early Learning Center: Reach top level of the daycare profession & Buy the lot
The Lucky Simoleon Casino: Max out the Gambling Skill and buy the lot
Gothic library: refer to library above
Olympian Physique: Refer to Gyms above
Regency Arcade: Master Logic and buy the lot.
Al Fresco Street Market: Master Gardening and buy the lot.
Le Cinema Plumbob : Master guitar or if you have late night all of the instrument skills and buy the lot
The Duke of Bows Renaissance Faire: Max archery and the Violin Skill & Buy the lot
Skylight Studio for the Performing Arts : Master Dance or the Athletic Skill and buy the lot
The Golden Ticket Toy Shop: Complete all of the Consignment Skill challenges and buy the lot.

I can not take credit for all of these Ideas. All I did was put them in one place. I did come up with most of the store lots but the University and IP lots were other simmers ideas.

I had a hard time sorting through all of the data trying to find updated information for this challenge so I thought I could help someone else avoid the migraine that I got from it by posting what I found. I hope this helps. I did not come up with it all buy my self. Mka3721 came up with the influence parts for the university and the diving lots of the IP. Mka3721 was also my inspiration for wanting to figure it all out before I started my own challenge. So thank you Mka3721 and Thank you to Avalikia for posting the rules.
Test Subject
#797 Old 17th Oct 2013 at 3:28 AM
lots of posts

CODE LYOKO <3
MUSIC <3
BEST FRIEND <3
Test Subject
#798 Old 17th Oct 2013 at 11:05 PM
I just wanted to say that this is the only way I can play my sims at all now. I absolutely love this challenge. I combined it with the one (I can't remember the name of it) where you have to get the heir with the custom genetics before they can stop making babies. Good grief it's HARD sometimes! My latest family had 13 kids with no heir and I had to use the young again potion just to keep trying. Made it a crazy house and shifted the priority of having to save money to build the town to having enough money to move them the heck out! Finally got down to the last kid and let the mom die (she was tired). I also gave it an additional twist. IF the two parents share a trait, then that becomes the family trait and all the future generations have to get it somehow. Almost impossible in the early times when the kids can't go to school and grow up well! Just wanted to share my experience and to say thank you for this! I am always looking around for empty worlds that don't get buggy. I have had that problem a few times.
Lab Assistant
#799 Old 19th Oct 2013 at 4:19 AM
I married a firefighter but JUST BECAUSE I accepted the challenge of the meteorite fall, does that count as cheating or not? made 4k with all meteorites, but i guess i just got lucky
Field Researcher
#800 Old 19th Oct 2013 at 3:26 PM
I'm not playing this challenge right now but I might end up transitioning my current legacy to a blank new town to start it at some point. This is still the only challenge that has ever really intrigued me/maintained my interest. I know I can come up with my own rules for new EPs, but it really does kind of bum me out that it's not updated anymore. When I can make my own rules, I tend to let myself get away with more cheaty things/I start to lose interest. Wish there was a better way to bum off of other people's improvised rules than to scroll through all of the pages of this thread :/
Page 32 of 39