Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Mar 2014 at 6:40 PM Last edited by Zombzilla : 17th Mar 2014 at 8:34 PM. Reason: Resolved
Default [Resolved] Clothing color is faded/muddy
Hi,

I'm new to creating and recoloring clothing. This is literally my first outfit, so I'm sorry in advance if I'm a bit dense. x:

I've edited my outfit's mask texture to add recolorable stripes in part of the sleeves and collar. The recoloring itself works, but whatever color I change it to always looks a bit faded, washed out and.. grayish.

I've been trying to get the color to be a deep navy, but as the color darkens it just becomes grayer and loses most of the blue color. I went back to the base texture and tried making the stripes lighter or darker but the color is still muddy.

If I make the stripes in the base texture lighter, the navy becomes too light blue, and if darker it just looks gray and muddy. When I try recoloring other parts, the colors look vibrant and perfect, so I don't understand why it's just the stripes that are causing a hassle.

The square on the top left is the color I'm trying to achieve, and the little gray bar is the color in the base texture.

I'm using CTU and have not touched specular or ambient textures, but by viewing them they are fully white, so I don't think they have anything to do with it.

Thanks in advance c:
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 17th Mar 2014 at 8:18 PM
If the CASted colour isn't matching what it should be, then usually the cause is that the colours in the mask aren't pure. If you use an RGB mask, the colours should be 256,0,0 for red, 0,256,0 for green and 0,0,256 for blue; if you use CMY (yes I know I'm misusing that acronym), colours should be 0,256,256 for cyan, 256,0,256 for magenta and 256,256,0 for yellow. If you used layers when drawing the mask, make sure they're all at 100% opacity. You could also upload the mask if you'd like someone else to check it for you.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Mar 2014 at 8:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
If the CASted colour isn't matching what it should be, then usually the cause is that the colours in the mask aren't pure. If you use an RGB mask, the colours should be 256,0,0 for red, 0,256,0 for green and 0,0,256 for blue; if you use CMY (yes I know I'm misusing that acronym), colours should be 0,256,256 for cyan, 256,0,256 for magenta and 256,256,0 for yellow. If you used layers when drawing the mask, make sure they're all at 100% opacity. You could also upload the mask if you'd like someone else to check it for you.

Thank you so much!

I checked my mask, which was using red, yellow, and magenta, and my magenta was indeed off. I fixed it and it's looking great now. :D
Thanks again!