Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Mar 2014 at 4:27 AM
Default Aliens Among Us Pt 1 - Rise To Power
[-BACKSTORY-]
It seemed like only yesterday the attacks began. Aliens…they had been living among us for who knows how long, the story of abductions and ship sightings were nothing more than tall tales. How wrong we were. They attacked with force and hit us where they knew would hurt the most, technology. Pulse disruptor beams launched from alien crafts scrambled everything from computers and smart phones to cars and motorcycles. Essentially within moments we were plummeted into the dark ages. Then there were the wars with onslaught after onslaught of alien attacks and massive loss of sim life. Those that weren’t killed outright were taken and used as vessels to breed more of their kind. A few survivors banded together and to spite heavy casualties, battled the alien horde and gathered supplies to build an old-fashioned ship, one that did not require technology to operate. They managed to escape but were shipwrecked on the distant and little known island they later named “Kent”, after Julius Kent, their leader. Two years have passed without sign of the aliens. Having no contact with the outside world, we know not if the aliens were beaten back or simkind is lost completely.

Much has changed in these two year. The ones kind Julius Kent, who cared a great deal for the people of his settlement, is lost. His son, Nathaniel, has taken over and cares naught for the starving and uneducated. He collects taxes from the poor with an iron fist. Basic needs like police, fire fighters, doctors, teachers, and much more are nonexistent. That is where you come in. Your task is to serve as an example to your fellow townsfolk by accomplishing several goals. The more you accomplish, the more the townspeople will look to you for leadership until you are able to take Kent Keep from the Kent family and lead the township into a prosperous future.

[-SETUP-]

The World:
It is highly recommended that you download Kent Keep from the exchange (http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail...assetId=4792450) or just do a search for “Isle of Kent”. This is a relatively small world (512 x 512) and the creator did a nice job giving it an “old-time” feel. If you do not wish to use the custom world, you can use any town you like but it will have to be customized.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE you begin playing this challenge, please review the GOALS section below to see what needs to be locked until you unlock it (for example, school lots should be deleted, other community lots listed should be marked as no visitors allowed, you can’t have fire alarms/burglar alarms and can’t call for services until that is unlocked, etc.)

Replace as many things as possible with items that look like they came from the medieval period. For example, if you have the stone oven (the one you can make pizza in), use it instead of a regular stove. If you have a fridge that looks like an old fashioned ice box, use that, etc.

This challenge does require quite a bit of building although everything you’re required to build should be on a small scale (20 x 20 or smaller). It should appear very rustic, old world, possibly even run down. It must not contain electronic devices. The town does have a generator system which provides running water and very limited electricity to run lights, that’s about it.

Settings:
Seasons should be set to normal (or you may exclude winter since you are on an island).

Aging should be set to normal with the following exceptions: (1) Young Adult = 60 Days, (2) Adult = 60 days). You must complete this part of the challenge within 60 days. Part II will rely on you having at least another 60 (or close to it) to produce an heir (which will not necessarily be easy).

Getting Started:
Create a single sim. Your sim can have any traits you desire (the goals will have you doing MANY things that rely on various traits so skills like bookworm (for reading faster) and likes the heat (for traveling by foot, gardening, etc.) might be a good idea. Additionally, your character needs to have a unique hair and eye color (this will come into play in part II).

If you are using the custom world, purchase the “Tipsy Sister’s Starter Cottage” as your first home. It comes with nectar making equipment in the basement in case that’s an early goal for you.

After you purchase your home, set your family funds to 1,000 simoleons (using the “familyfunds” cheat). After completing a challenge, use the family funds cheat to add 10,000 simoleons to your account. Also, as you unlock new skills (i.e. artist); you can make money from those trades. You’re free to move to bigger and better houses as you have the money.

Gameplay:
If you are abducted by aliens at any time and become pregnant with an alien child, you may opt to get an abortion (if you have that mod), abandon the baby, or try to raise it in secret.

Until you unlock horse trainer, you must travel everywhere by foot.

Just a reminder, until you unlock the grocery store completely (by clearing the farmer goal) you may only purchase three items of food per day.

[-GOALS-]
Your task will be to unlock certain features in the town initially. Once you have completed at least eight of the ten tasks, if you are using the custom map, you will then go to the ruins of the original Kent Keep to learn what happened to Julius Kent and his wife. Do not go there until you have completed at least 8 out of 10 goals. Once you are ready, refer to the TAKING OVER section below.

Inviting Friends: Most of these goals are completed when you’ve serviced a certain number of people (i.e. served 50 meals, seen 50 patients, etc.). You can invite friends to make it easier; however, you can’t invite more than 5 friends per day. Beyond that, you should have random sims showing up which will help you meet your quota.

RANDOM ROLL: Obviously it’s better to unlock some things early on (like the bookstore to have access to skill books, or animal trainer to make travel easier, etc.) but you must roll 1 to 10 (using random.org or another program) to see what you will be working on. Once you complete a goal, roll again. If you get a number for something you’ve already completed, roll again until you get a new goal.

[1] NECTAR MAKER – There’s nothing like lifting the spirits of your neighbors like a fine bottle of booze! If you are using the custom map, there is a nectary in town where you can buy the needed grapes to start your garden. Your goal is to create a good stock of nectar in your basement (fill up at least a couple racks). How far you take this is up to you, but to complete the challenge, you must bring a bottle of at least normal quality to 15 households in town and present it as a gift. Doing so will remind everyone what it’s like to have a good drink and unwind!
Reward: Upon completion, all pubs/bars are unlocked.

[2] CHEF – The town has forgotten what good food tastes like (not to mention most are starving). This goal requires you to go into edit town and build a small restaurant containing a dining area, bar counter with stools, an area to clean dishes, and bathrooms. Keep with the medieval (or old-style) theme. This lot will be marked as community with visitors allowed. As such, stoves cannot be used. You will have to prepare meals at home and then bring them to your restaurant. You will have to build up a good clientele by contacting friends and asking them to come to the restaurant. If need be, you can go in and edit homes to delete the stoves. I found that hungry sims were coming to my restaurant quite often! You must serve at least 3 meals per day and you must serve at least 50 guests (if someone eats there 5 times then it counts as 5 toward your goal). Obviously you eating a meal there doesn’t count!
Reward: Townsfolk follow in your footsteps and all diners/restaurants are unlocked.

[3] PRIEST/PASTOR – The townsfolk need spiritual guidance and they have turned to you! If you’re using the custom map, Kent Station has a church! If you add a podium (if you have university), you’re set! If you are not using the custom world, go into edit town and build a small church (it should be modest and in keeping with the theme of this challenge). Make sure to set it as a community lot/visitors allowed. You need to provide spiritual guidance to the townsfolk by holding a two hour service every night. Additionally, each day you must visit one house from your “flock” and be kind and encouraging to them. Count how many attend your services. Once you reach 50, you’ve met your goal.
Reward: Unlocks peaceful places like springs, parks, etc.

[4] TEACHER – The townsfolk are uneducated (adults and kids). Once enough townsfolk are mentored in the ways of teaching, a proper school can be built! You will have to ensure your logic is at least 7 before you begin. Enter edit town and build a small school/training center. It should contain old-style school desks, appear very rustic, and have bathrooms. You must then spend time at the center mentoring anyone who visits in the logic skill. If you have the white board and podium from university, conduct a lecture at least once a day. You can invite friends to your lectures as well as mentor them. Once you have mentored 10 people (each only needs to gain one point of logic) the goal is complete.
Reward: Unlocks schools, libraries, and book stores.

[5] DOCTOR – You must begin by raising your science skill (using the skeleton anatomy device from University) or logic skill. Edit town and build a small clinic (waiting room, receptionist desk, bathrooms, and exam room). If you are using the science/logic skill, you should be able to access ink blot test and stimulus test (stimulus is science only I believe) from the friends menu to examine sims. Your clinic should be open to the public (community lot) and you must spend at least 4 hours a day there. Any sims who arrive must be called back to the exam room and evaluated (either by using tests if you have that option or other means). When you have treated at least 25 exams, you have completed the goal. If the same person comes back later, they count as two exams.
Reward: Hospital is now unlocked

[6] ARTIST – Art is very important to a society! You must choose an art form (sculpting, painting, sketching, etc.) and master it! In edit town, create a small studio to display your works. You’ll need at least 20 advanced works of art (created at level 7 and above) to complete the studio! If you attract at least 25 visitors to view your art, you completed the goal! Return visitors still count toward the 25.
Reward: Unlocks art museum and historical society

[7] MUSICIAN – It’s time to bring music back to the lives of your neighbors! Is there a more wonderful way to raise spirits? You must master an instrument and play for tips. You do not have to wait until level 10 to start playing for tips. You’ll most likely master your skill while doing it through. If you have unlocked bars, you can play there. In edit town, build a small theater (with props). If you are using the custom map, there is one already built and it’s quite nice! You must play a show at the community theater at least 2 hours each night. Once you collect 1,000 simoleons in tips, you complete this goal
Reward: Unlocks theater and you may now have festivals in your town.

[8] ANIMAL TRAINER – Since cars are a thing of the past (pretend like any you see on the roads are horse and buggies) the townsfolk rely heavily on horses; however, with no one to breed/train them, the only mode of transportation is walking. Your goal is to train 5 horses and earn championships in racing with all of them (so they can travel at high speeds). Once a horse has reached the goal, you can either keep him/her or give him/her to a household. You should give away all but one or two horses.
Reward: Equestrian center is unlocked at start and upon completion; you can now use a horse to travel around town. Finally, no more walking!

[9] FIREFIGHTER – If you do not have ambitions, you can replace this with police officer. The goal on this one is simple. Reach level 5 in either career.
Reward: Unlocks police and fire fighter services for the town. You may now also use smoke/security alarms in your home.

[10] FARMER – This is the base to several other goals (i.e. nectar making, chef) if you have this head of time, it will be a great help. Your goal is to create a garden of 15 crops of your choosing. You must work your garden to produce food for the town and sell it to the grocery store. Once you sell at least 1,500 simoleons in food, your goal is complete. Until this goal is complete, the grocery store will have limited stock and you can only buy up to 3 items of food per day from it.
Reward: Unlimited food purchases from the grocery store.

[TAKING OVER]
Once you have completed 8 out of 10 goals listed above, you are now eligible to contest Nathaniel Kent for leadership.

If you are using the custom world, visit the ruins of the original Kent Keep. It’s actually a tomb and shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes to clear. You’re looking for evidence of what happened to Julius Kent (hint, you’ll find him in the dining room). Once you know what happened, go and confront Nathaniel. Set your relationship with him to enemy and fight! If you win the fight, you take command of Kent Keep and he and his family are kicked out to live in your old house (or just kill them off if you like). Change the name of Kent Keep to your last name (i.e. if your character’s last name is Jones, it’s now Jones Keep).

IF YOU FAIL to defeat him, you must complete another task from the list above. Once that is done, you may re-challenge him to another fight. If you lose again, you must complete the 10th task at which point the town rises up and overthrows Nathaniel and you are elected leader (although the town drunks are laughing it up at the pub at your expense for not being able to win the fight).

[PREPARING FOR THE FUTURE]
This challenge is just the beginning, the story of your rise to power. After you complete this challenge you should stop playing until Part II is released. Just to give you a hint, Part II is titled “Discovered”. Prepare for war 
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 24th Mar 2014 at 6:30 AM
Sweet holy dog balls how the fuck do you keep thinking up so many challenges?!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Mar 2014 at 11:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BL00DIEDHELL
Sweet holy dog balls how the fuck do you keep thinking up so many challenges?!

LOL I don't know...believe i or not I have several I wrote, some even finished, that I ended up scrapping because the theme was too similar to another person's work so coming up with stuff is not easy. It usually takes me about a week to come up with an idea, a few days testing it, and a few hours writing it.
Test Subject
#4 Old 24th Mar 2014 at 12:56 PM
This looks amazing! I am going to try it right away, was meant to play Halo with the fiance.. but I'm sure he will understand :P
Test Subject
#5 Old 24th Mar 2014 at 1:32 PM
Downloaded the world, have to populate it with families etc, are there any restrictions with the families? Also, do I need to do the back story with the Kent family?
Test Subject
#6 Old 24th Mar 2014 at 1:40 PM
Brilliant! :3 How'd you come up with all these amazing challenges? :O
Instructor
#7 Old 24th Mar 2014 at 3:29 PM
Misty, you never fail to amaze me.
I'm guessing vampires are a no-go, due to advanced skill gain?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 24th Mar 2014 at 11:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Blakaty
Downloaded the world, have to populate it with families etc, are there any restrictions with the families? Also, do I need to do the back story with the Kent family?

There are no restrictions on the kent family. You can make them however you like. I just used random sims and renamed them.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 24th Mar 2014 at 11:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MistressTiffany
Misty, you never fail to amaze me.
I'm guessing vampires are a no-go, due to advanced skill gain?

If you wanted to play it on an easier level, you could use vamps. For a more realistic challenge, I'd go human.
Instructor
#10 Old 25th Mar 2014 at 12:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MistyDW
If you wanted to play it on an easier level, you could use vamps. For a more realistic challenge, I'd go human.

Hmm.. I have the perfect SIm for this challenge already made. She's one of my favourites, but she's a vampire. Maybe I'll have to turn her back..
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 25th Mar 2014 at 12:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MistressTiffany
Hmm.. I have the perfect SIm for this challenge already made. She's one of my favourites, but she's a vampire. Maybe I'll have to turn her back..

It's totally up to you. You could always try keeping her a vamp and if it seems like you're advancing too fast, change her to human.
Instructor
#12 Old 25th Mar 2014 at 1:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MistyDW
It's totally up to you. You could always try keeping her a vamp and if it seems like you're advancing too fast, change her to human.

I was thinking of doing that. I think I'll try it out tomorrow, then. ^^
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 21st Jun 2014 at 4:47 AM
I have to agree with everyone else. This is another amazing challenge! Great Job Misty!
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 21st Jun 2014 at 4:51 AM
I looked at the Isle of Kent. I think I am going to have to go with Dragon Valley, or Monte Vista. They both look old world and I won't have to download anything. Dial up makes a download that large nearly impossible.
Test Subject
#15 Old 21st Jun 2014 at 2:40 PM
I am almost done with it and its amazing so I was wondering when part 2 would come out
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 16th Oct 2014 at 11:36 PM
Hey guys just wanted to point out that Aliens Among Us Part II is under construction. It will still be titled "Discovered" and will take you into a full on war with the aliens where you will have improve on your island's defenses, discover a way to use technology, and transform your island from the stone ages to a super power.

Please feel free to share anything you'd really like to see in Part II! If I like the idea, I'll use it and give you the credit in my prologue.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 15th Nov 2014 at 9:37 AM
Hello guys!
As promised, Part II is on the way! I thought I'd give you a teaser. I'd love your feedback.

ALIENS AMONG US PART II: DISCOVERED

Segway: If you played my original ALIENS AMONG US challenge and you still have your character, yay for you! I doubt many still do! If not, go back to the original challenge (link here) and read (or re-read) it for guidelines on how your island should be set up and what state everything should be in at the conclusion of that challenge. Create your main character and his/her family (if you like) and move them into Kent Castle (which should now be named after your character’s last name instead of Kent). There are lots of great islands on the exchange you can use. I originally used the Isle of Kent but when I tried to re-download it, I had issues. I ended up using a small island with a medieval or “old world” feel to it. Let’s get this party started! Part II!

Narrative: You’ve overcome much but there is still much to conquer before you can finally rest. Your past efforts and love for your fellow survivors has cast you into a leadership role. You are now the king/queen of the island and you are personally responsible for the well-being of each citizen. A few months have passed since your ordeal with the Kent family and everything seems to be going smoothly. You are well loved by your people and you have tried to instill that same devotion in your children who will someday assume your role as monarch. Still, you are uneasy as neither seem prepared to fill your role. One child is loving and kind, but often lacks a sense of direction. The other is a born leader but has a colder demeanor. What would happen if you were suddenly not in the picture? You push the thought out of your mind as you prepare for bed. The night air seems particularly chilly and the wind howls as it beats against your window.

Your spouse throws another heavy blanket on your bed and you both crawl in. Some time passes and you drift off to sleep only to awake at the sound of thunder outside your window. As you reach out to turn on the oil lamp at your bedside the room illuminates with an all too familiar blue light. Your eyes widen and your heart beats wildly in your chest at the sight of your spouse, now unconscious (or worse) on the floor and three aliens, their ominous black eyes starting at you. Before you can scream, one waves a hand and an unseen force clutches you by the throat. You struggle against it, desperate for breath, until your world falls to darkness. Welcome to Part II!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There you go guys! Part II is coming. Don't jump to conclusions based on the intro. That's all I'm going to say for now
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 17th Nov 2014 at 8:25 PM
Hey, all! I plan to do this challenge. Though I am unable to play Sims at the moment, I did post a synopsis of the story I plan to post on my blog . Go check it out!
Test Subject
#19 Old 24th Nov 2015 at 5:04 PM
Ahahahahahahahahaahhaha
I Live In An Actual Place Called 'kent' In England :p