Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Aug 2017 at 11:28 AM Last edited by Greenplumbbob : 9th Aug 2017 at 1:53 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, Generations, Pets, Supernatural, Seasons
Pls Help!
Hi!
I am having a problem with my game where I try to download sims from the sims 3 exchange and when I download them it says: Download failed and something about not having the updated software. I looked at the game updates tab and pressed refresh but I still can't update my game any more than 1.67 .2.024017.
I use a mac too, I don't know if that is helpful or not...

Please help!!
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 8th Aug 2017 at 1:52 PM
This really belongs in Game help, and I don't know a lot about a MAC except that yes, you have been spared the dreaded 1.69 patch.

Have you tried just browsing to the site, downloading while the game is not running, and then seeing if the launcher will handle the sims3pack? (And, as a bonus, you might be able to use CUSTARD (http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...ghlight=CUSTARD ) to see if you are getting any surprises that you don't want in your game. (Like the "demon boots" that can turn babies and toddlers into deformed monstrosities.))

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Scholar
#3 Old 8th Aug 2017 at 4:07 PM
it sounds like you're doing "add to game". Try just downloading the file directly from the browser and then install it yourself.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 9th Aug 2017 at 1:12 AM
Custard isn't going to run on the Mac OS without some fancy emulation tricks, and even then apps like that will fail for many.

I have to agree though, there is no benefit in having things automatically added to the game if the automatic thing is just going to get in the way when we can (usually) grab the content and shove it into Downloads manually. The Exchange is a minefield full of "bad CC" to which Mac players are not immune. Without access to tools like Custard, I would tend to stay away unless the content developer is someone well-known to me (and even then would hesitate).
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Aug 2017 at 4:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pretenshus
it sounds like you're doing "add to game". Try just downloading the file directly from the browser and then install it yourself.

I am doing it the second way, I don't use add to game as I install my CC in groups, not one by one.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 9th Aug 2017 at 4:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Custard isn't going to run on the Mac OS without some fancy emulation tricks, and even then apps like that will fail for many.

I have to agree though, there is no benefit in having things automatically added to the game if the automatic thing is just going to get in the way when we can (usually) grab the content and shove it into Downloads manually. The Exchange is a minefield full of "bad CC" to which Mac players are not immune. Without access to tools like Custard, I would tend to stay away unless the content developer is someone well-known to me (and even then would hesitate).

I was downloading one of my old sims so I could upload an updated version and I didn't use the demon baby boots or the weird horse body thing.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 9th Aug 2017 at 4:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
This really belongs in Game help, and I don't know a lot about a MAC except that yes, you have been spared the dreaded 1.69 patch.

Have you tried just browsing to the site, downloading while the game is not running, and then seeing if the launcher will handle the sims3pack? (And, as a bonus, you might be able to use CUSTARD (http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...ghlight=CUSTARD ) to see if you are getting any surprises that you don't want in your game. (Like the "demon boots" that can turn babies and toddlers into deformed monstrosities.))

I can't have my game and the launcher open at the same time and is there a way to easily manually install the 1.69 patch? It says on the launcher my game is up to date and I read somewhere that 1.69 is only available for windows? Whats up with that?
Mad Poster
#8 Old 9th Aug 2017 at 4:57 AM
Patches 1.67 and 1.69 are both considered the current versions and up to date, something else is wrong here. The only thing 1.69 does is add an Origin tie-in requirement to the way the game starts up, it's really annoying anyway (for many) and there is no 1.69 for Mac or Steam players. We are just as current on 1.67 as we can be.

You might try running EA's SuperPatcher (the Mac version for your region) though. It's possible that although your Launcher says you are on 1.67 that the patch job was incomplete all along. If you get to the point where it says you already have the highest patch level, make it run anyway.
https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/the-...er-patcher/#mac

But honestly, if Exchange downloads are the only things not working for you (maybe there is something else?) this is a lot of effort to fix for something that might bring you bad CC and a ruined game in the end anyway. There are (arguably) better places to find CC.
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#9 Old 9th Aug 2017 at 1:53 PM
Mad Poster
#10 Old 9th Aug 2017 at 3:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by zazzyzooo
I was downloading one of my old sims so I could upload an updated version and I didn't use the demon baby boots or the weird horse body thing.

It's possible then that what you are experiencing is a general Exchange failure. EA is having a lot of trouble keeping that service running properly, there are many recent complaints about it on the official forums and it's reportedly being looked at (again).
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 15th Oct 2017 at 6:36 AM
Patches 1.67 and 1.69 are both considered the current versions and up to date, something else is wrong here. The only thing 1.69 does is add an Origin tie-in requirement to the way the game starts up, it's really annoying anyway (for many) and there is no 1.69 for Mac or Steam players. We are just as current on 1.67 as we can be.

You might try running EA's SuperPatcher (the Mac version for your region) though. It's possible that although your Launcher says you are on 1.67 that the patch job was incomplete all along. If you get to the point where it says you already have the highest patch level, make it run anyway.
https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/the-...er-patcher/#mac

But honestly, if Exchange downloads are the only things not working for you (maybe there is something else?) this is a lot of effort to fix for something that might bring you bad CC and a ruined game in the end anyway. There are (arguably) better places to find CC.

Ok! I have used super patcher and when I downloaded a sim off the exchange, it said success! But, when I went into pre-made sims, the sim wasn't there!! Why?
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#12 Old 15th Oct 2017 at 9:43 AM
You did install it after downloading, didn't you?

There's also the possibility that this Sim is simply broken (containing encrypted custom content, for example), which causes the Launcher to refuse to install it.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 15th Oct 2017 at 11:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Don Babilon
You did install it after downloading, didn't you?

There's also the possibility that this Sim is simply broken (containing encrypted custom content, for example), which causes the Launcher to refuse to install it.

I did install it. Now I am trying to install furniture, and the window that pops up with the green bar on the top it just black and it doesn't load. I can see the items in the launcher, but they haven't installed. I didn't have this problem before I used super patcher... is there a way to reverse it?
Mad Poster
#14 Old 15th Oct 2017 at 11:21 AM
TS3 for Mac, frankly, is a complete mess courtesy of the way EA did its port into OS X through an improper Cider implementation. You might try pulling out your Mods folder (if you have one) before trying to install sims3pack content and then put it back again when finished. Some have had success with that.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 15th Oct 2017 at 11:38 AM
TS3 for Mac, frankly, is a complete mess courtesy of the way EA did its port into OS X through an improper Cider implementation. You might try pulling out your Mods folder (if you have one) before trying to install sims3pack content and then put it back again when finished. Some have had success with that.

I tried it and it worked! Thanks
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 15th Oct 2017 at 11:45 AM
I did install it. Now I am trying to install furniture, and the window that pops up with the green bar on the top it just black and it doesn't load. I can see the items in the launcher, but they haven't installed. I didn't have this problem before I used super patcher... is there a way to reverse it?

I reinstalled and it worked. I sound like such a technology noob...
Site Helper
#17 Old 15th Oct 2017 at 2:25 PM
If it makes you feel better, I just this year learned how to find the numbers on a smartphone... And I have gotten up to about 30% of the time that I can actually answer it before it stops ringing. (Not counting when my husband had Mighty To Save as the ringtone and I was singing along with the phone instead of trying to answer it.)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 17th Oct 2017 at 3:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
If it makes you feel better, I just this year learned how to find the numbers on a smartphone... And I have gotten up to about 30% of the time that I can actually answer it before it stops ringing. (Not counting when my husband had Mighty To Save as the ringtone and I was singing along with the phone instead of trying to answer it.)

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 1:15 AM
Ok. I have installed CC and it is in my game and works perfectly after I took the mods folder out and used the super patcher. Now when I try to play my game when I put the mods folder back, the screen just goes black, and I can't get out of it! All I can do I move my mouse and then restart my laptop.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 1:15 AM
Ok. I have installed CC and it is in my game and works perfectly after I took the mods folder out and used the super patcher. Now when I try to play my game when I put the mods folder back, the screen just goes black, and I can't get out of it! All I can do I move my mouse and then restart my laptop.

I have never had this problem before I used super patcher! Is there a way to delete or reverse it? I don't care about downloading just one sim! I have a website where you can download free horses for sims 3 and I can't do anything on it at the moment because all my package files are gone! Please help. Is there a way to delete or reverse super patcher!?
Mad Poster
#21 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 2:34 AM Last edited by igazor : 18th Oct 2017 at 2:49 AM.
No, not unless you want to uninstall and reinstall the entire game from the beginning. But you could try running the SuperPatcher again.

The Launcher does a notoriously bad job of patching the game. Often it reports success, claims that you are up to Patch 1.67, but under the hood you really aren't and that can cause all kinds of issues. This happens on Windows and Macs all the same. The SuperPatcher fixes these problems for those trying to stay on 1.67 (or, at its worst, does nothing because there is nothing to fix), it is not at all known for causing them. But I have to say this again, TS3 for Mac is a mess. It's possible the game is reaching for more than 2 GB of RAM at startup when your mods folder is in place and the Mac version of the game just cannot use that much.

I see that we never asked this, though. From About This Mac on the Apple menu, which model Mac do you have? (year, model, processor, memory, graphics)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 3:25 AM
No, not unless you want to uninstall and reinstall the entire game from the beginning. But you could try running the SuperPatcher again.

The Launcher does a notoriously bad job of patching the game. Often it reports success, claims that you are up to Patch 1.67, but under the hood you really aren't and that can cause all kinds of issues. This happens on Windows and Macs all the same. The SuperPatcher fixes these problems for those trying to stay on 1.67 (or, at its worst, does nothing because there is nothing to fix), it is not at all known for causing them. But I have to say this again, TS3 for Mac is a mess. It's possible the game is reaching for more than 2 GB of RAM at startup when your mods folder is in place and the Mac version of the game just cannot use that much.

I see that we never asked this, though. From About This Mac on the Apple menu, which model Mac do you have? (year, model, processor, memory, graphics)

OS X
Version 10.9.5
Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 3:27 AM

If I uninstall and reinstall, will that get rid of my CC that I downloaded as a .sims3pack?
Mad Poster
#24 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 3:33 AM
The first step before uninstaling and resinstalling should be to pull your game folder out of Documents to the Desktop or some other location so it won't be disturbed by the process. You might try doing that first and force the game to generate a new game folder on its next startup, verify that it works, and then try adding some of your content back into the new folder. It's possible that your game folder itself has become damaged.

I still have no idea what year your Mac was manufactured, which model it is (iMac, MacBook Pro, etc.) and what it has for a graphics card. But the processor and RAM look good even though your version of OS X is Mavericks, which is not considered current,
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#25 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 4:34 AM
The first step before uninstaling and reinstalling should be to pull your game folder out of Documents to the Desktop or some other location so it won't be disturbed by the process. You might try doing that first and force the game to generate a new game folder on its next startup, verify that it works, and then try adding some of your content back into the new folder. It's possible that your game folder itself has become damaged.

I still have no idea what year your Mac was manufactured, which model it is (iMac, MacBook Pro, etc.) and what it has for a graphics card. But the processor and RAM look good even though your version of OS X is Mavericks, which is not considered current,

It is a MacBook Pro but I don't know what graphics card. And by game folder do you mean Electronic Arts or Sims 3? And also, how do I uninstall and reinstall on origin?
Page 1 of 2