Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Jul 2008 at 9:55 AM
Default REALLY slow talent badge
I was wondering if anyone else has found this? When I installed freetime I got my arty Sim a sewing machine so she could make clothes and things. I've played on her a hell of a lot, it's been 8 seasons and she is on that sewing machine every day and she still hasn't even got a bronze talent badge! I'm sick of making potholders! It seems to be the same with the pottery wheel, and now I've discovered it's done it on the crafting stations that came with OFB as well. No Bronze talent badges. Other talent badges like gardening/sales/register, things like that work fine. Just not the ones that require the work stations. I've almost maxed out most skills...

Sorry if this is the wrong forum... I just assume it's a freetime problem because I swear it's never happened before I installed it.

Is anyone else having this problem? Is there anything that could be causing it, or am I just extremely unlucky?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 31st Jul 2008 at 2:39 PM
somes one started a thread on this...these badges do seem to take a lifetime sometimes, but from what ive read it also can be affected by their skill levels...is your sims creativity level low? and id check for hack that arent up dated or conflicting because 8 season does seem extremely slow even for these badges

check out my uploads here updated May 15, 2008
#3 Old 7th Aug 2008 at 6:34 PM
The badge juicer (a game-integrated cheat object) should include the new talent badges as well, if I remember correctly.
Run the game with 'testingCheatsEnabled true', then you can find and spawn it when shift-clicking on your sim.
#4 Old 7th Aug 2008 at 7:19 PM
I've found that getting the pottery & sewing badges take ages & are quite expensive. When I first got freetime I remember counting how many items I had to make just to get the bronze talent badges and it worked out to about 25-30 plates to get bronze in pottery and 35-45 pot holders to get bronze sewing. I didn't bother counting for getting the silver & gold badges, I just cheated instead lol..
Field Researcher
#5 Old 28th Aug 2008 at 10:35 PM
the only EP I have that included talent badges is Freetime, so I can't speak to the Seasons or OfB ones.
But YES! it takes forever to get to the Bronze level in sewing and pottery. What's really odd is that it takes much less time to get the Silver and Gold Badges
#6 Old 29th Aug 2008 at 4:08 AM
I noticed that the sewing one takes forever too. However, it is COMPLETELY worth it. My sim obtained a gold sewing talent badge and can now make custom outfits. They cost $75 to make, and sell for $750. Wow! Plus, you can put them in your wardrobe, meaning you get the same clothes for cheaper than you'd buy in a store, and custom clothes that you can't get in the store for cheap too.

I haven't gotten my pottery up so I'm not sure if it's similarly worth it, but I do know that if you can get sewing up, do it. You can make a fortune.
Test Subject
#7 Old 29th Aug 2008 at 4:02 PM
I had to go a really long time to make it happen too. But after I got it done the first time it seemed to go faster.
Instructor
#8 Old 30th Aug 2008 at 4:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Howabominable
I noticed that the sewing one takes forever too. However, it is COMPLETELY worth it. My sim obtained a gold sewing talent badge and can now make custom outfits. They cost $75 to make, and sell for $750. Wow! Plus, you can put them in your wardrobe, meaning you get the same clothes for cheaper than you'd buy in a store, and custom clothes that you can't get in the store for cheap too.

I haven't gotten my pottery up so I'm not sure if it's similarly worth it, but I do know that if you can get sewing up, do it. You can make a fortune.

I can tell you that is IS worth it! With the gold badge your sim can make the giant amphora which costs $30 to make it and it sells for $300!
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 30th Aug 2008 at 5:05 PM
i've had sims get badges in both sewing and pottery...and honestly, i've never noticed that sewing takes that long...maybe because it is totally worth it...as to learning them faster? i occasionally set all seasons to fall so that they have the fall learning advantage (which so isn't true in reallife when you just picked up apartment life...) when they have that and then maximum creativity, they learn pretty fast.

though pottery does take awhile, i'll agree with that, but maybe that's just because i don't think the rewards of gold are totally worth it...it's just a big vase...?
#10 Old 30th Aug 2008 at 8:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Moonstream27
i've had sims get badges in both sewing and pottery...and honestly, i've never noticed that sewing takes that long...maybe because it is totally worth it...as to learning them faster? i occasionally set all seasons to fall so that they have the fall learning advantage (which so isn't true in reallife when you just picked up apartment life...) when they have that and then maximum creativity, they learn pretty fast.

though pottery does take awhile, i'll agree with that, but maybe that's just because i don't think the rewards of gold are totally worth it...it's just a big vase...?

I currently have Bigfoot rolling in the dough with pottery, it's $30 to make and sells for $300. Sewing still makes more, but the pottery station only takes up one space, which is nice in my apartment
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 30th Aug 2008 at 11:22 PM
I think I read somewhere their personality may also affect the rate they get their badge. I think this is the case since my Sim has been trying to get gold in make over and was taking ages. Someone mentioned that neatness would help and my Sim happened to have very low neatness point, which might explain why it was taking so long.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 30th Aug 2008 at 11:26 PM
EAxis really screwed the pooch with a few things in Free Time. The motives, for one- my sims can't repair a car or play sports for more than three hours without nearly dropping dead. The slow talent badges and the constant phoning are two more grievances of mine. Don't get me wrong, I love the EP, but it does get on my nerves.

Sorry, here I am turning a friendly thread into a place to harbor complaints. I'll just back away slowly now :P.

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
#13 Old 4th Sep 2008 at 9:24 PM
Did my robots from bronze to gold in half a real life day...granted they're probally different but yours sounds harsh :o